1. Microphone Problem (Waleed Hamra)

Rod Lovett
Hi yes in Natty, pulseaudio is a dead duck and the developers are not
interested at all about this it seems, they bounced any emails about it
as they only talk to themselves not humble users, the plebs.

Anyway apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

reboot and in ALSA make sure the full controls are there, you will have
to move some as by default they are not there. Go to settings 'configure
channels' and drag and drop them.

Note DIGITAL must be on, and the correct number of channels in my case 2
channels applied otherwise you get nothing on microphone for skype etc,
also the booster microphone must be on a bit.
The speaker sound of your voice unfortunately remains on, this is a pest
I solved it by having a mike you can turn on and off manually.
The automagic has gone for sound configuration in Natty, and they will
take ages if ever to fix it, it is like running unstable sid as an OS.
Regards

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 04:53:39 +0300 From: Waleed Hamra
<[hidden email]> To: Kubuntu user technical support
<[hidden email]> Subject: Microphone Problem Message-ID:
<[hidden email]> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1" i'm having a very weird problem. i have never
thought of using my microphone before, but this week, i decided to give
it a try. after some fiddling with alsamixer, i managed to see what
controls i need to control its volume, and what levels are acceptable
between high enough volume, and not too high to cause nasty feedback
loops. so basically, now when i speak into the microphone, i hear my
sound coming from the speakers. i thought all is fine... but alas... no
NONE of the programs i tried managed to detect the faintest of sounds. i
tried skype, i tried audacity, i tried arecorder, even ran virtualbox
and checked Windows' sound recorder, nothing, they all hear nothing,
yet... i am hearing myself during all the tests, on the speakers... this
is really really confusing. anyone has any ideas?
-- Waleed K. Hamra Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Re: 1. Microphone Problem (Waleed Hamra)

Scott Kitterman-3
On Sunday, May 22, 2011 09:09:19 PM Rod Lovett wrote:
> Hi yes in Natty, pulseaudio is a dead duck and the developers are not
> interested at all about this it seems, they bounced any emails about it
> as they only talk to themselves not humble users, the plebs.

It's not a closed society.  Anyone is welcome to get involved and contribute.

Scott K

Re: 1. Microphone Problem (Waleed Hamra)

Waleed Hamra
On 05/23/2011 04:09 AM, Rod Lovett wrote:
> Hi yes in Natty, pulseaudio is a dead duck and the developers are not
> interested at all about this it seems, they bounced any emails about it
> as they only talk to themselves not humble users, the plebs.

<big snip>

as i mentioned in another email on that very thread, all my microphone
problems are gone after i upgraded from maverick to natty.
pulseaudio doesn't seem to do a good job, i don't blame its developers,
i am sure they created it with good intentions, and linux does need a
form of central management for all its audio drivers and settings, but
unfortunately, it still is lacking.
a better solution for now, is to just report bugs in launchpad, and i am
very certain everyone of them will be looked at.
if you believe that bugs in launchpa are getting neglected, you can help
us bu being a bug triager, it requires no computer coding/programming
skills at all, just basic computer knowledge.
and emailing developers isn't going to do any good, in any open source
community. developer lists are for strict development talk... bug
control websites are the right place to go.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Re: 1. Microphone Problem (Waleed Hamra)

Valorie Zimmerman
Waleed makes a couple of excellent points.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Waleed Hamra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/23/2011 04:09 AM, Rod Lovett wrote:
>> Hi yes in Natty, pulseaudio is a dead duck and the developers are not
>> interested at all about this it seems, they bounced any emails about it
>> as they only talk to themselves not humble users, the plebs.
>>
> <big snip>
>
> as i mentioned in another email on that very thread, all my microphone
> problems are gone after i upgraded from maverick to natty.
> pulseaudio doesn't seem to do a good job, i don't blame its developers,
> i am sure they created it with good intentions, and linux does need a
> form of central management for all its audio drivers and settings, but
> unfortunately, it still is lacking.

I'm pretty sure Colin would welcome some help! PA works great for lots of us.

> a better solution for now, is to just report bugs in launchpad, and i am
> very certain everyone of them will be looked at.
> if you believe that bugs in launchpa are getting neglected, you can help
> us bu being a bug triager, it requires no computer coding/programming
> skills at all, just basic computer knowledge.

Even those of us who are new to computers, can learn to file useful
bugs. Last night I asked #ubuntu-kernel to help me file a useful bug,
and they not only helped me to do that, they also solved my problem
(non-working mic and headphones). Filing bugs is not complaining, it
is helpful, useful, necessary.

Those who want to learn to triage bugs are always needed! As Waleed
says, one does not need to be an expert to help out. You soon learn
which bugs need more information, and you can be the person to take
the time to ask for that.

> and emailing developers isn't going to do any good, in any open source
> community. developer lists are for strict development talk... bug
> control websites are the right place to go.

Just as on any other list, please read some of the archives or read
list traffic for awhile, unless you know you are posting on-topic
content. Some projects use their IRC channels heavily, while others
lean towards the list. Hang out for a bit, and give some help as well
as getting it. That's how free and open source software works --
people helping one another out.

Valorie
--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez