+1 maint - phpunit 9 bootstrap proposal

Bryce Harrington-8
phpunit has been stuck in a 8.5 -> 9.5 transition, which blocks other
things.  I'd like to propose we back out 9.5 and bootstrap to 9.0, and
*then* to 9.5.

In looking at the phpunit builds on update_excuses, phpunit 9.5 fails to
build due to three of its dependencies, which themselves are failing to
build because they in turn have phpunit 9.x as build dependencies.
E.g.:

  phpunit unsatisfiable Build-Depends(-Arch) on amd64: php-codecoverage (>= 9)

  php-codecoverage 9.2.5+dfsg-2 shows "Missing build dependencies: phpunit (>= 9)"

(Near as I can tell, the packages depend on phpunit only for
running the testsuite in debian/rules' override_dh_auto_test.  The
packages don't appear to actually depend on any code from phpunit.)

Debian did not jump straight from 8.5 to 9.5, but rather went through
the intermediate versions in Experimental.  It looks like phpunit 9.0.0
might be new enough to satisfy various built requirements, without
having too intensive build requirements itself.

RAOF suggested one option might be to do similarly - remove phpunit from
-proposed, stage the intermediary pieces in a PPA, and then
source+binary copy them into the archive.  I've staged the pieces, with
their testsuites disabled, here:

  https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/ubuntu/phpunit-bootstrap/+packages

Once that phpunit is happily in the archive, I believe the remainder of
the phpunit stack should be able to be rebuilt, and then phpunit 9.5
could be re-introduced and hopefully complete the phpunit transition.

Neither RAOF or I have worked on phpunit previously, and we're not
certain that this is the proper approach, so would appreciate a thumb's
up or course correction from Vorlon, Xnox, etc., before we actually do
it.  Is this a sensible path?

Bryce

Re: +1 maint - phpunit 9 bootstrap proposal

Steve Langasek-6
On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:48:15PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> phpunit has been stuck in a 8.5 -> 9.5 transition, which blocks other
> things.  I'd like to propose we back out 9.5 and bootstrap to 9.0, and
> *then* to 9.5.
>

> In looking at the phpunit builds on update_excuses, phpunit 9.5 fails to
> build due to three of its dependencies, which themselves are failing to
> build because they in turn have phpunit 9.x as build dependencies.
> E.g.:
>
>   phpunit unsatisfiable Build-Depends(-Arch) on amd64: php-codecoverage (>= 9)
>
>   php-codecoverage 9.2.5+dfsg-2 shows "Missing build dependencies: phpunit (>= 9)"
>
> (Near as I can tell, the packages depend on phpunit only for
> running the testsuite in debian/rules' override_dh_auto_test.  The
> packages don't appear to actually depend on any code from phpunit.)
>
> Debian did not jump straight from 8.5 to 9.5, but rather went through
> the intermediate versions in Experimental.  It looks like phpunit 9.0.0
> might be new enough to satisfy various built requirements, without
> having too intensive build requirements itself.
>
> RAOF suggested one option might be to do similarly - remove phpunit from
> -proposed, stage the intermediary pieces in a PPA, and then
> source+binary copy them into the archive.  I've staged the pieces, with
> their testsuites disabled, here:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/ubuntu/phpunit-bootstrap/+packages
Thanks.  Since it's not possible to tell as a non-owner whether a given ppa
is suitable as a source for binary copies to the Ubuntu archive (and by
default it isn't), I've used the packages here as a guide for replaying the
bootstrap in the main archive.  phpunit 9.x is now built in the main
archive:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/phpunit/9.0.0-1build1

and as soon as it publishes and php-phpspec-prophecy-phpunit +
php-codecoverage have had a chance to rebuild, I believe I'll be able to
copy back the newer synced packages to hirsute-proposed to let them all
build.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 04:24:39PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:48:15PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > phpunit has been stuck in a 8.5 -> 9.5 transition, which blocks other
> > things.  I'd like to propose we back out 9.5 and bootstrap to 9.0, and
> > *then* to 9.5.
> >

> > In looking at the phpunit builds on update_excuses, phpunit 9.5 fails to
> > build due to three of its dependencies, which themselves are failing to
> > build because they in turn have phpunit 9.x as build dependencies.
> > E.g.:
> >
> >   phpunit unsatisfiable Build-Depends(-Arch) on amd64: php-codecoverage (>= 9)
> >
> >   php-codecoverage 9.2.5+dfsg-2 shows "Missing build dependencies: phpunit (>= 9)"
> >
> > (Near as I can tell, the packages depend on phpunit only for
> > running the testsuite in debian/rules' override_dh_auto_test.  The
> > packages don't appear to actually depend on any code from phpunit.)
> >
> > Debian did not jump straight from 8.5 to 9.5, but rather went through
> > the intermediate versions in Experimental.  It looks like phpunit 9.0.0
> > might be new enough to satisfy various built requirements, without
> > having too intensive build requirements itself.
> >
> > RAOF suggested one option might be to do similarly - remove phpunit from
> > -proposed, stage the intermediary pieces in a PPA, and then
> > source+binary copy them into the archive.  I've staged the pieces, with
> > their testsuites disabled, here:
> >
> >   https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/ubuntu/phpunit-bootstrap/+packages
>
> Thanks.  Since it's not possible to tell as a non-owner whether a given ppa
> is suitable as a source for binary copies to the Ubuntu archive (and by
> default it isn't), I've used the packages here as a guide for replaying the
> bootstrap in the main archive.  phpunit 9.x is now built in the main
> archive:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/phpunit/9.0.0-1build1
>
> and as soon as it publishes and php-phpspec-prophecy-phpunit +
> php-codecoverage have had a chance to rebuild, I believe I'll be able to
> copy back the newer synced packages to hirsute-proposed to let them all
> build.

Excellent!

Fwiw, I'm not sure if there might be some additional subsequent
bootstrapping needed between 9.0 and 9.5.  Debian had several versions
of phpunit in experimental as they worked through rebuilding
dependencies.  So far though, the bootstrapping has only required
bypassing testsuites of dependencies that pop up.

Note there is also one new package added, I unfortunately didn't note
the name and it's off update_excuses now, but it'll probably show up.
Since all this is in universe, I don't think that'll cause issues.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 05:08:26PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 04:24:39PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 08:48:15PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > phpunit has been stuck in a 8.5 -> 9.5 transition, which blocks other
> > > things.  I'd like to propose we back out 9.5 and bootstrap to 9.0, and
> > > *then* to 9.5.

Hi Steve,

I worked a bit Friday retriggering the remaining packages, which
got these to pass:

  php-guzzlehttp-psr7, phpdox, php-amqplib, php-laravel-lumen-framework,
  phpcpd

Over the weekend it looks like there was a re-trigger of the whole php
stack (or at least the phpunit-using portion of it), for phpunit 9.5.1-1
I guess.  This added a few more packages with issues, but they just
needed retriggers.

Today I reviewed the remainder, and note below what looks like needs
done to resolve them.

composer (2.0.8-2):
  - Errors:
    + Failed asserting that 'Undefined index: file' matches PCRE pattern
      "/(File format not recognized|Unrecognized archive format)/i".
    + Failed asserting that 'Undefined index: file' contains "is not a zip
      archive".
    + Undefined index: file
  - "Undefined index" suggests the test is trying to read an array
    element that doesn't exist.  All three tests appear to be expecting
    an error message that isn't present in an array.
  - Not finding any indication of these errors reported upstream or in
    Debian.
  - autopkgtest passes locally for me.
  - I'm not sure what is wrong here...

√ php-arthurhoaro-web-thumbnailer (2.0.3+dfsg-1):
  - Passed with phpunit 9.5.0-5, but is failing now with 9.5.1-1 on
    arm64 only
  - Failures are network issues trying to connect to gravatar.com.
    Previous failures haven't hit this before, so is unusual.
  - Re-triggered testrun as-is in case it's just a network issue
  - PASSED

√ php-crypt-gpg (1.6.4-1):
  - Passed with phpunit 9.5.0-5, but is failing now with 9.5.1-1 on
    arm64 only
  - Failing testcase with error about invalid GPG password.
  - Re-triggering as-is, to rule out flaky test environment
  - PASSED

php-doctrine-dbal (2.12.1-1):
  - The build logs indicate the autopkgtest failed, but the results show
    no errors, just warnings.
  - Running autopkgtest locally shows two errors in DBAL's
    PortabilityTest.php
    + Debian's 0002-Revert-Update-PHPUnit-to-9.2.patch is altering
      PortabilityTest.php.  With this patch disabled, these tests pass,
      however there's then a different error, permission denied trying
      to chattr on /tmp/doctrine_failed_connection_292.db.  Still, this
      looks like the right path to investigate
  - Also, there is a new 3.0.0-1 in debian experimental

php-http-request2 (2.3.0-1ubuntu2):
  - Reproduced same 25 testsuite failures locally in lxc.
    Offhand, I am wondering if these are due to phpunit api changes?
  - Debian is also seeing autopkgtest failures with this package,
    although their errors look like phpunit framework issues.
  - There is a new upstream version 2.4.2 (not yet in Debian) with some
    php version updates.  Might be worth pulling that version in.

php-league-flysystem (1.1.3-2):
  - Timestamp discrepancy on file in filesystem.  Same issue seen on
    all arch's.
  - Debian is seeing same issue in their autopkgtests.
  - Fixed in 1.1.3-3.  This should sync in when it's migrated in Debian.

php-net-ldap2 (2.2.0-3ubuntu3):
  - The test failures here are fixed in 2.2.0-6 from -proposed
  - The ubuntu delta is safe to drop - it's just compatibility fixups
    for earlier phpunit problems.
  - I've retriggered with php-net-ldap2 from -proposed

php-twig (2.14.1-1):
  - Fixed in 2.14.1-2:
    https://salsa.debian.org/php-team/pear/twig/-/commit/77d0a0f8f6f5b5754c5752f50cbaa55b3ca07fc5
  - I've retriggered with php-twig from -proposed

php-parser (4.10.4-1):
  - Data type discrepancy on armhf
  - The two armhf failures have been seen before (lp: #1878102),
    and we've disabled the tests in the past.  Probably easiest path
    forward here as well.

Bryce

Re: +1 maint - phpunit 9 bootstrap proposal

Bryce Harrington-8
Brief update:

I've gotten most everything passing now, except composer and
php-http-request2.

My best guess is that these two packages' test case failures are due to
changed behavior in array behavior, however I've not had any luck so far
diagnosing what's causing the failure.  I can reproduce the failures for
php-http-request2 locally, but composer passes without issue when run
locally.  None of the issues appear to be reported anywhere else, and
both packages are passing Debian's CI without issue.

I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest in debugging these, and
might consider suggesting to just disable the wayward tests just to get
phpunit across the finish line.  Advice and/or help would be welcome.

Bryce

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 01:40:48PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Brief update:
>
> I've gotten most everything passing now, except composer and
> php-http-request2.
>
> My best guess is that these two packages' test case failures are due to
> changed behavior in array behavior, however I've not had any luck so far
> diagnosing what's causing the failure.  I can reproduce the failures for
> php-http-request2 locally, but composer passes without issue when run
> locally.  None of the issues appear to be reported anywhere else, and
> both packages are passing Debian's CI without issue.
>
> I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest in debugging these, and
> might consider suggesting to just disable the wayward tests just to get
> phpunit across the finish line.  Advice and/or help would be welcome.

For composer, I've filed:
    https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/9654

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 05:50:14PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 01:40:48PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Brief update:
> >
> > I've gotten most everything passing now, except composer and
> > php-http-request2.
> >
> > My best guess is that these two packages' test case failures are due to
> > changed behavior in array behavior, however I've not had any luck so far
> > diagnosing what's causing the failure.  I can reproduce the failures for
> > php-http-request2 locally, but composer passes without issue when run
> > locally.  None of the issues appear to be reported anywhere else, and
> > both packages are passing Debian's CI without issue.
> >
> > I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest in debugging these, and
> > might consider suggesting to just disable the wayward tests just to get
> > phpunit across the finish line.  Advice and/or help would be welcome.
>
> For composer, I've filed:
>     https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/9654

I've uploaded the fix for composer and it's now passing its tests.

Now just php-http-request2 remains for unblocking phpunit.

Bryce

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 11:19:13AM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 05:50:14PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 01:40:48PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > Brief update:
> > >
> > > I've gotten most everything passing now, except composer and
> > > php-http-request2.
> > >
> > > My best guess is that these two packages' test case failures are due to
> > > changed behavior in array behavior, however I've not had any luck so far
> > > diagnosing what's causing the failure.  I can reproduce the failures for
> > > php-http-request2 locally, but composer passes without issue when run
> > > locally.  None of the issues appear to be reported anywhere else, and
> > > both packages are passing Debian's CI without issue.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how much more time I want to invest in debugging these, and
> > > might consider suggesting to just disable the wayward tests just to get
> > > phpunit across the finish line.  Advice and/or help would be welcome.
> >
> > For composer, I've filed:
> >     https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/9654
>
> I've uploaded the fix for composer and it's now passing its tests.
>
> Now just php-http-request2 remains for unblocking phpunit.

I got php-http-request2 sorted today.  It had 25 test cases using old
phpunit syntax that needed updated in order to work with phpunit 9.5.

I think phpunit and the various php bits dependent on it should finally
migrate now.  I'll check in on it next week.

Bryce

> > > Bryce

Re: +1 maint - phpunit 9 bootstrap proposal

Bryce Harrington-8
With the php-http-request2 fix, phpunit successfully transitioned.
A bunch of php stuff went through after that.

Bryce