+1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

+1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Lukas Märdian
Hi folks,

this week I had my 2nd +1 duty (Wed+Thu). I looked into some transitions and applied some of my new learnings from the last +1 Maint meeting. I found quite a few packages which just failed to build on Launchpad and I could re-trigger the build to fix them and move some transitions forward. mumps is still building on riscv64 after ~16h but is looking good.

OK - kcm-fcitx5 ppc64el rebuilt (auto-fcitx5) => 100%
OK - xmltooling armhf rebuilt (auto-xmltooling)
OK - shibboleth-sp armhf (auto-xmltooling)
OK - callaudiod ppc64el rebuilt (auto-callaudiod) => 100%
.. - mumps no-change rebuild (auto-scotch) => looking good

Also, I looked into some other build issues from update_excuses and filed one removal bug for "kore".
OK - qmath3d ppc64el rebuilt
OK - kore => removal bug & update-excuse, https://pad.lv/1912484

In between I took one item from the sponsoring queue and reviewed and upload of s390-tools.
OK - s390-tools[-signed] 2.15.1-0ubuntu6

Looking into the autopkgtests I could trigger a few which had environment issues (i.e. "unknown" version) and some others. Only a few of them passed easily.
NO - r-cran-lwgeom/hirsute/s390x vs ['r-cran-sf/0.9-7+dfsg-1', 'r-cran-sp/1:1.4-5-1', 'r-cran-testthat/3.0.1-1', 'rcpp/1.0.6-1', 'proj/7.2.1-1']
NO - pyopencl/hirsute/amd64 vs ['mesa/20.3.3-1']
OK - paperwork/ppc64el vs ['python-dateutil/2.8.1-5']
OK - netplan.io/hirsute/ppc64el vs dnsmasq/2.82-1ubuntu2
NO - tcpslice/armhf vs ['libpcap/1.10.0-2']
NO - dogtag-pki vs ['389-ds-base/1.4.4.9-1build2', 'net-snmp/5.9+dfsg-3ubuntu1']

So I had a closer look into the dogtag-pki failure on s390x. I could easily reproduce the problem inside a s390x LXD container, but wasn't able to isolate the root cause... After quite some investigation I was able to produce a debug trace of the problem, and to me it looks like the issue is actually not inside this package, but rather inside the LDAP server (i.e. 389-ds-base), as the debug log shows an "SEVERE: Unable to modify o=pki-tomcat-CA: netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error result (1); Operations error", i.e. "Internal Server Error" (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR). I do not really understand why the LDAP server would behave differently on s390x than on all the other architectures, but I guess this is for another time...

Debug log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/

Cheers,
  Lukas

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Timo Aaltonen-6
On 21.1.2021 18.59, Lukas Märdian wrote:

> NO - dogtag-pki vs ['389-ds-base/1.4.4.9-1build2',
> 'net-snmp/5.9+dfsg-3ubuntu1']
>
> So I had a closer look into the dogtag-pki failure on s390x. I could
> easily reproduce the problem inside a s390x LXD container, but wasn't
> able to isolate the root cause... After quite some investigation I was
> able to produce a debug trace of the problem, and to me it looks like
> the issue is actually not inside this package, but rather inside the
> LDAP server (i.e. 389-ds-base), as the debug log shows an "SEVERE:
> Unable to modify o=pki-tomcat-CA: netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error
> result (1); Operations error", i.e. "Internal Server Error"
> (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR
> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR>).
> I do not really understand why the LDAP server would behave differently
> on s390x than on all the other architectures, but I guess this is for
> another time...
>
> Debug log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/
> <https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/>

This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably longer.
Would be useful to know where it regressed.

As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Sergio Durigan Junior-3
On Thursday, January 21 2021, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> On 21.1.2021 18.59, Lukas Märdian wrote:
>> NO - dogtag-pki vs ['389-ds-base/1.4.4.9-1build2',
>> 'net-snmp/5.9+dfsg-3ubuntu1']
>>
>> So I had a closer look into the dogtag-pki failure on s390x. I could
>> easily reproduce the problem inside a s390x LXD container, but
>> wasn't able to isolate the root cause... After quite some
>> investigation I was able to produce a debug trace of the problem,
>> and to me it looks like the issue is actually not inside this
>> package, but rather inside the LDAP server (i.e. 389-ds-base), as
>> the debug log shows an "SEVERE: Unable to modify o=pki-tomcat-CA:
>> netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error result (1); Operations error",
>> i.e. "Internal Server Error"
>> (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR
>> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR>). I
>> do not really understand why the LDAP server would behave
>> differently on s390x than on all the other architectures, but I
>> guess this is for another time...
>>
>> Debug log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/
>> <https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/>
>
> This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
> longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
>
> As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
> to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).

I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
and a bunch of other packages from migrating.

Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.

I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:

  sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers, result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id = result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers LIKE '%389-ds-base%';

I'll see if I have the time to investigate a bit more.

Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Lukas Märdian
Hey!

Together with Timo I was debugging this issue a little further, and we were able to pinpoint the faulty commit, introducing the regression:

We reverted that commit and tested dogtag-pki vs custom 389-ds-base in a PPA, to confirm it passes:

And Timo got in touch with the upstream developers to raise the issue there:

Best,
   Lukas

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 9:25 PM Sergio Durigan Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, January 21 2021, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> On 21.1.2021 18.59, Lukas Märdian wrote:
>> NO - dogtag-pki vs ['389-ds-base/1.4.4.9-1build2',
>> 'net-snmp/5.9+dfsg-3ubuntu1']
>>
>> So I had a closer look into the dogtag-pki failure on s390x. I could
>> easily reproduce the problem inside a s390x LXD container, but
>> wasn't able to isolate the root cause... After quite some
>> investigation I was able to produce a debug trace of the problem,
>> and to me it looks like the issue is actually not inside this
>> package, but rather inside the LDAP server (i.e. 389-ds-base), as
>> the debug log shows an "SEVERE: Unable to modify o=pki-tomcat-CA:
>> netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error result (1); Operations error",
>> i.e. "Internal Server Error"
>> (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR
>> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR>). I
>> do not really understand why the LDAP server would behave
>> differently on s390x than on all the other architectures, but I
>> guess this is for another time...
>>
>> Debug log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/
>> <https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/>
>
> This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
> longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
>
> As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
> to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).

I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
and a bunch of other packages from migrating.

Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.

I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:

  sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers, result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id = result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers LIKE '%389-ds-base%';

I'll see if I have the time to investigate a bit more.

Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Brian Murray-5
On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 03:25:02PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:

> On Thursday, January 21 2021, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>
> > On 21.1.2021 18.59, Lukas Märdian wrote:
> >> NO - dogtag-pki vs ['389-ds-base/1.4.4.9-1build2',
> >> 'net-snmp/5.9+dfsg-3ubuntu1']
> >>
> >> So I had a closer look into the dogtag-pki failure on s390x. I could
> >> easily reproduce the problem inside a s390x LXD container, but
> >> wasn't able to isolate the root cause... After quite some
> >> investigation I was able to produce a debug trace of the problem,
> >> and to me it looks like the issue is actually not inside this
> >> package, but rather inside the LDAP server (i.e. 389-ds-base), as
> >> the debug log shows an "SEVERE: Unable to modify o=pki-tomcat-CA:
> >> netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error result (1); Operations error",
> >> i.e. "Internal Server Error"
> >> (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR
> >> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/816-5618-10/netscape/ldap/LDAPException.html#OPERATION_ERROR>). I
> >> do not really understand why the LDAP server would behave
> >> differently on s390x than on all the other architectures, but I
> >> guess this is for another time...
> >>
> >> Debug log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/
> >> <https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vx9JB6VTjF/>
> >
> > This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
> > longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
> >
> > As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
> > to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).
>
> I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
> and a bunch of other packages from migrating.
>
> Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
> point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
> cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.
>
> I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
> started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:
>
>   sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers, result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id = result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers LIKE '%389-ds-base%';

I find your querying of the SQLite database pretty interesting. Is there
any documentation about the structure of the database and queries that
might be useful?

Brian Murray

On Friday, January 22 2021, Lukas Märdian wrote:

> Hey!
>
> Together with Timo I was debugging this issue a little further, and we were
> able to pinpoint the faulty commit, introducing the regression:
> https://github.com/389ds/389-ds-base/commit/2ccd0bed4e60e44303d5f1cf96bd30572ffea85b
>
> We reverted that commit and tested dogtag-pki vs custom 389-ds-base in a
> PPA, to confirm it passes:
> https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac/autopkgtest-hirsute-slyon-testing/hirsute/s390x/d/dogtag-pki/20210122_114408_9ecb1@/log.gz
>
> And Timo got in touch with the upstream developers to raise the issue there:
> https://github.com/389ds/389-ds-base/issues/4563

Thanks a lot for the investigative work, guys!

On Friday, January 22 2021, Brian Murray wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 03:25:02PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:

>> > This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
>> > longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
>> >
>> > As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
>> > to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).
>>
>> I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
>> and a bunch of other packages from migrating.
>>
>> Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
>> point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
>> cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.
>>
>> I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
>> started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:
>>
>>   sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers,
>> result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id =
>> result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers
>> LIKE '%389-ds-base%';
>
> I find your querying of the SQLite database pretty interesting. Is there
> any documentation about the structure of the database and queries that
> might be useful?

Hey Brian,

Not that I know of.  The database is pretty simple, though; you can
obtain the schema for the tables by doing:

  PRAGMA TABLE_info(test);
  PRAGMA TABLE_info(result);

From there, you can start playing with queries.  I specifically like to
use the database at the end of a +1 maintenance week, because it's
pretty convenient to let you know what you did.

Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Bryce Harrington-8
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 08:08:45AM -0800, Brian Murray wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 03:25:02PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:

> > > This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
> > > longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
> > >
> > > As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
> > > to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).
> >
> > I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
> > and a bunch of other packages from migrating.
> >
> > Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
> > point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
> > cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.
> >
> > I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
> > started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:
> >
> >   sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers, result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id = result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers LIKE '%389-ds-base%';
>
> I find your querying of the SQLite database pretty interesting. Is there
> any documentation about the structure of the database and queries that
> might be useful?

Not really, but there's only 3 tables and not many fields.

Main trouble is downloading the database (it's huge, and of course
changes every few hours).  Would be nicer if we had a REST interface in
front of it to code our scripts against...

Bryce

Re: +1 maintenance report (dogtag-pki vs 389-ds-base)

Balint Reczey
Hi Brian,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:09 PM Brian Murray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 03:25:02PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:

> > > This seems to go back to at least 389-ds-base 1.4.4.4, probably
> > > longer. Would be useful to know where it regressed.
> > >
> > > As to why it only happens on s390x my guess would be that it's related
> > > to endianness (it's big-endian). Upstream tests only on amd64 (LE).
> >
> > I'm also very interested in solving this, because it's blocking net-snmp
> > and a bunch of other packages from migrating.
> >
> > Last week I did some investigation and pretty much stopped at the same
> > point as Lukas did.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what the root
> > cause is, but Timo's guess is a good starting point.
> >
> > I fiddled a bit with autopkgtest.db and confirmed that the failures
> > started with 389-ds-base/1.4.4.4-1:
> >
> >   sqlite> SELECT test.package, result.version, result.triggers, result.exitcode FROM result INNER JOIN test ON test.id = result.test_id where test.package = 'dogtag-pki' and result.triggers LIKE '%389-ds-base%';
>
> I find your querying of the SQLite database pretty interesting. Is there
> any documentation about the structure of the database and queries that
> might be useful?

I've created a few queries to analyze the data for identifying the
infrastructure improvement opportunities and learn more about
interesting packages:
https://github.com/rbalint/autopkgtest-db-reports

You can even find the generated reports on the GitHub Actions page.

Cheers,
Balint

> Cheers,
> --