+1 maintenance report

Didier Roche-3
This was my first shift during the hirsute dev cycle. Here are some notes:

* Get Go 1.15 as transition as default Go compiler:
- promote golang 1.15 to main
- dealt with some failing autopkgtests
- fix ubuntu-report tests failing with 1.15 due to invalid casting in
test detected
- 1.15 is now the default Golang compiler!
Noticed that golang 1.13 in groovy (and so hirsute) transition wasn’t
fully done: only the principal binary package was demoted. Demoted the
source and all -dev, doc… only on hirsute ofc.

* I mostly focused my shift around a lot of golang-* packages (20+ of
them) blocked on various autopkgtest flaky tests or machine shutting
down in the middle of the tests.
Analyzed them, and tried to relaunch if this was needed. Tried to
reproduce the failure locally on the same arch, but most of the time,
without success.
However, the builder was lagging due to large rebuild on some archs,
autopkgtests (see doko’s previous report) is lagging due to the high
number of transitions in parallel, which makes the roundtrip for
fixing/checking quite slow (and not everything that was relaunched has
been processed yet).

* Unblocked usb-modeswitch/ (repromote tcl in hirsute)

* Looked at some FTBFS::
- started to look at colord but was beaten up by RAOF in Debian (thanks
:)). Didn’t update as we are in sync, better to resync once uploaded there.
- zfs-linux

* Fix priority on librem packages by sending a MP to Debian (as we are
in sync):
https://salsa.debian.org/DebianOnMobile-team/mobile-tweaks/-/merge_requests/4
-> this is now merged.

* Busybox:
- relaunched some transition autopkgtests lock which was failing due to
archive unsync (packages not installable)

* cryptsetup:
- seems blocked by autopkgtests timeouts, asked for a rerun

* pykdtree:
- autopkgtest infra issue, reran

Didier

Re: +1 maintenance report

Matthias Klose-6
On 11/11/20 5:44 PM, Didier Roche wrote:
> This was my first shift during the hirsute dev cycle. Here are some notes:
>
> * Get Go 1.15 as transition as default Go compiler:
> - promote golang 1.15 to main
> - dealt with some failing autopkgtests
> - fix ubuntu-report tests failing with 1.15 due to invalid casting in test detected
> - 1.15 is now the default Golang compiler!

- the package was promoted without having a bug subscriber
- I don't think this should have been done as part of +1,
  because the golang-defaults package is owned by a team.

Re: +1 maintenance report

Sebastien Bacher
Hey there,

Le 11/11/2020 à 18:39, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> - I don't think this should have been done as part of +1,
>   because the golang-defaults package is owned by a team.

Is that really worth calling out on like that? Proposed currently needs
work and I think people on +1 rotation helping to get things moving at
the start of the cycle, even if they are owned by a team, is welcome...

Thanks Didier for helping with the go stack migration, it's nice to have
someone who knows his way around the language to help there!

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: +1 maintenance report

Didier Roche-3
Le 11/11/2020 à 18:39, Matthias Klose a écrit :

> On 11/11/20 5:44 PM, Didier Roche wrote:
>> This was my first shift during the hirsute dev cycle. Here are some notes:
>>
>> * Get Go 1.15 as transition as default Go compiler:
>> - promote golang 1.15 to main
>> - dealt with some failing autopkgtests
>> - fix ubuntu-report tests failing with 1.15 due to invalid casting in test detected
>> - 1.15 is now the default Golang compiler!
> - the package was promoted without having a bug subscriber
> - I don't think this should have been done as part of +1,
>    because the golang-defaults package is owned by a team.

golang-defaults pointing to 1.15 was uploaded and stuck in proposed
since 2020-10-23. I think that largely gave the team owing it the time to:
- add a bug subscriber
- handle the MIR/promotion phase which we discussed in the MIR team
meeting (showing up in component-mismatches).

Which didn’t happen, hence untangling this transition from the rest of
the stack and the pile of packages stuck in proposed.

But it’s always a pleasure to have this kind of feedback after spending
a couple of days on +1ing and fighting our infrastructure being slow due
to the load when opening a cycle. Thanks Matthias.

Didier