1404 server mounted the wrong drive

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Phil'll Fix It Computers
Hi all,

Our Ubuntu server has a ssd boot drive /dev/sda and mounts a 4tb drive
for owncloud. Funny thing is there is 2 4tb drives in the box /dev/sdb/
& /dev/sdc . Normally it loads the correct drive which is specified in
/etc/fstab by its uuid. This should be /dev/sdc. Yesterday after the
updates it mounted /dev/sdb. How could it suddenly mount the other hard
drive? It sort of cause panic due to files suddenly being old etc etc

Linux:          4.4.0-96-generic x86_64
Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Codename:       trusty

yesterdays dmesg here  http://www.philllfixit.com.au/dmesg.txt

--
“The sole purpose of children's middle names is so they can tell when
they’re really in trouble!”

Regards,
Phil Steel-Wilson | [+61](0)447 64 55 34
Phil'll Fix IT | http://philllfixit.com.au
Computer Services | Linux user no. #564977

If you are happy with my service and rates, please recommend
me to your family and friends. Boring stuff follows . . .
Treat all email communication as confidential.
It is for the intended recipient only. If you have received
this and you are not the intended recipient please contact,
    [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Rashkae-2
On 17-10-09 10:09 PM, phil wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our Ubuntu server has a ssd boot drive /dev/sda and mounts a 4tb drive
> for owncloud. Funny thing is there is 2 4tb drives in the box /dev/sdb/
> & /dev/sdc . Normally it loads the correct drive which is specified in
> /etc/fstab by its uuid. This should be /dev/sdc. Yesterday after the
> updates it mounted /dev/sdb. How could it suddenly mount the other hard
> drive? It sort of cause panic due to files suddenly being old etc etc
>
> Linux:          4.4.0-96-generic x86_64
> Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
> Codename:       trusty
>
> yesterdays dmesg here  http://www.philllfixit.com.au/dmesg.txt
>


Can you post a copy of your fstab file, and the output from sudo blkid

?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Phil'll Fix It Computers
On 10/10/2017 2:13 PM, Rashkae wrote:

> On 17-10-09 10:09 PM, phil wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Our Ubuntu server has a ssd boot drive /dev/sda and mounts a 4tb drive
>> for owncloud. Funny thing is there is 2 4tb drives in the box /dev/sdb/
>> & /dev/sdc . Normally it loads the correct drive which is specified in
>> /etc/fstab by its uuid. This should be /dev/sdc. Yesterday after the
>> updates it mounted /dev/sdb. How could it suddenly mount the other hard
>> drive? It sort of cause panic due to files suddenly being old etc etc
>>
>> Linux:          4.4.0-96-generic x86_64
>> Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
>> Codename:       trusty
>>
>> yesterdays dmesg here  http://www.philllfixit.com.au/dmesg.txt
>>
>
>
> Can you post a copy of your fstab file, and the output from sudo blkid
>
> ?
>
>

Certainly, fstab didn't shed any light on it

phil@TARDIS[0]<0>:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=22789f51-59ae-4237-9c5a-0663b26aa928 /               ext4
errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=12feb61e-2949-475a-a3b6-0df9febfc3d1 none            swap    sw
         0       0
# bgdrv currently running on a 4Tb drive - should be /dev/sdc
UUID=04526e61-2c2c-433f-891e-f0ccbf2f2a0c /bgdrv        ext4    rw
0       0
phil@TARDIS[0]<0>:~$

 but blkid did

phil@TARDIS[0]<0>:~$ sudo blkid
[sudo] password for phil:
/dev/sda1: UUID="22789f51-59ae-4237-9c5a-0663b26aa928" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="12feb61e-2949-475a-a3b6-0df9febfc3d1" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="bgdrv" UUID="04526e61-2c2c-433f-891e-f0ccbf2f2a0c"
TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="bgdrv" UUID="04526e61-2c2c-433f-891e-f0ccbf2f2a0c"
TYPE="ext4"
phil@TARDIS[0]<0>:~$

The administrator of the server in question has rsynced one of the 4tb
drives to the other, hence the same uuid doh . . . Cheers for the
pointer Rashkae  :)

--
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen
of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is
in now. Arnold Toynbee"

Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Rashkae-2
On 17-10-09 11:25 PM, phil wrote:
> The administrator of the server in question has rsynced one of the 4tb
> drives to the other, hence the same uuid doh . . . Cheers for the
> pointer Rashkae  :)


Unfortunately, no, he did not rsync... he did a block level copy,
(something like dd /dev/sdb  /dev/sdc)


But easy to fix..sudo tune2fs -U random /dev/sdc (or /dev/sdb, whichever
is the old one.)




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Phil'll Fix It Computers


On 10/10/2017 2:49 PM, Rashkae wrote:

> On 17-10-09 11:25 PM, phil wrote:
>> The administrator of the server in question has rsynced one of the 4tb
>> drives to the other, hence the same uuid doh . . . Cheers for the
>> pointer Rashkae  :)
>
>
> Unfortunately, no, he did not rsync... he did a block level copy,
> (something like dd /dev/sdb  /dev/sdc)
>
>
> But easy to fix..sudo tune2fs -U random /dev/sdc (or /dev/sdb, whichever
> is the old one.)
>
>
>
>

Ahh ok many thanks :)

--
"One more step to enlightenment ... but which way?"

Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Xen
In reply to this post by Rashkae-2
Rashkae schreef op 10-10-2017 5:49:

> On 17-10-09 11:25 PM, phil wrote:
>> The administrator of the server in question has rsynced one of the 4tb
>> drives to the other, hence the same uuid doh . . . Cheers for the
>> pointer Rashkae  :)
>
>
> Unfortunately, no, he did not rsync... he did a block level copy,
> (something like dd /dev/sdb  /dev/sdc)
>
>
> But easy to fix..sudo tune2fs -U random /dev/sdc (or /dev/sdb,
> whichever is the old one.)

But in that case there shouldn't have been old files anywhere.

But I'm not sure what calculates a FS uuid.... but anyway.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1404 server mounted the wrong drive

Phil'll Fix It Computers

On 10/10/2017 4:39 PM, Xen wrote:

> Rashkae schreef op 10-10-2017 5:49:
>> On 17-10-09 11:25 PM, phil wrote:
>>> The administrator of the server in question has rsynced one of the 4tb
>>> drives to the other, hence the same uuid doh . . . Cheers for the
>>> pointer Rashkae  :)
>>
>>
>> Unfortunately, no, he did not rsync... he did a block level copy,
>> (something like dd /dev/sdb  /dev/sdc)
>>
>>
>> But easy to fix..sudo tune2fs -U random /dev/sdc (or /dev/sdb,
>> whichever is the old one.)
>
> But in that case there shouldn't have been old files anywhere.
>
> But I'm not sure what calculates a FS uuid.... but anyway.
>

For the sake of completeness the administrator did indeed dd the drives
but he did this about a month ago hence the older versions of files, he
has since updated the uuid as per Rashkaes tip above and everything
seems normal now. Thanks again  :)

--
"Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves? Robin Williams"

Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users