16.04 update/dist-upgrade

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable 16.04
system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
16.04.3 USB, the tried to run

~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade

all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous unuseable
situation [1]

so I had to do a fresh install again (just Ubuntu side this time) again from my
16.04.3 media, I decided that untill I had more info I would not
update / dist-upgrade, thinking that I may be at end of road, if cant
update/dist-upgrade?

meanwhile I downloaded the later 16.04.4 iso to test "if" "live usb" would run
on same netbook, it did

Back on installed sys I tested with

~$ sudo lsb_release -a && sudo uname -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
Linux Dawn 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:13 UTC
2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

all was much as I expected, so I then made same test from live usb

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsb_release -a && uname -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
Linux ubuntu 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:26:51 UTC
2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

now I am was confused by the result from "uame -a" (16.04.1 ?)

Any pointers on why & how to move forward with a working system, or what to do
to get data that "may" help find a work-around

[1] black screen with what looks like wriggling maggots, nothing appears to
work, Advanced, Repair pre fallback options did not help

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

Colin Law
On 14 March 2018 at 07:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All

After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable 16.04
system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
16.04.3 USB, the tried to run

~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade

all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous unuseable
situation [1]

After it has failed, boot off a live image and look at /var/log/syslog on the hard disk to see if there are any clues as to the problem.
Have you got auto-logon enabled?  If yes then disable it. If no then I presume you are not even getting the logon screen.

Colin

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

I'm sorry but I for one am having a very hard time trying to
understand what you're posting. May I suggest you try putting it
through a spellchecker or something?

On 14 March 2018 at 08:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable 16.04
> system to hwe,

You mean, upgrade to the hardware enablement stack?

> I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run
>
> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade

*apt* update then *apt* full-upgrade?

> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous unuseable
> situation [1]

So it was broken _before_ you tried to update? But you said it was stable?

> so I had to do a fresh install again (just Ubuntu side this time) again from my
> 16.04.3 media, I decided that untill I had more info I would not
> update / dist-upgrade, thinking that I may be at end of road, if cant
> update/dist-upgrade?
>
> meanwhile I downloaded the later 16.04.4 iso to test "if" "live usb" would run
> on same netbook, it did
>
> Back on installed sys I tested with
>
> ~$ sudo lsb_release -a && sudo uname -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.04
> Codename:       xenial
> Linux Dawn 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:13 UTC
> 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

So it's on -03. OK.

> all was much as I expected, so I then made same test from live usb
>
> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsb_release -a && uname -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.04
> Codename:       xenial
> Linux ubuntu 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:26:51 UTC
> 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> now I am was confused by the result from "uame -a" (16.04.1 ?)

Well either it's -01 or it's -04, but not both.

And either way, you said at the top of your message it's a 16.04-03
medium. You are contradicting yourself.

When did it go wrong? What happened? That would seem to me to be what
to troubleshoot.

And if you are going to start over, I suggest you start over with
16.04-0, no updates.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

14 March 2018  at 9:04, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>On 14 March 2018 at 07:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
>[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for any and all help

>> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable
>> 16.04
>> system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
>> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run

>> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade
>>
>> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous
>> unuseable
>> situation [1]

>After it has failed, boot off a live image and look at /var/log/syslog on
>the hard disk to see if there are any clues as to the problem.

I will try that now

Live session up and running /var/log/syslog very long and nothing jumps out but
to be honest not sure what I'm looking for, is there a way to clean and start
afresh ? (as it has booted may times since the re-install)

I even managed to re-boot after an update/dist-upgrade with warm a reboot, but
then after a cold boot it was u/s again and stayed that way

>Have you got auto-logon enabled?  If yes then disable it. If no then I
>presume you are not even getting the logon screen.

I had auto-logon not sure how to change as I can't use the system, would
falling back to pre-update kernel allow that change? I could turn it off next
time I re-install? (seems I may have to do that)

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

14 March 2018  at 10:30, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>I'm sorry but I for one am having a very hard time trying to
>understand what you're posting. May I suggest you try putting it
>through a spellchecker or something?

>On 14 March 2018 at 08:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable 16.04
>> system to hwe,

>You mean, upgrade to the hardware enablement stack?

That was the itention, until it became unusable, then all I wanted was a
current stable system again

>> I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
>> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run
>>
>> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade

>*apt* update then *apt* full-upgrade?

Typo sorry, I missed the Apt

>> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous unuseable
>> situation [1]

>So it was broken _before_ you tried to update? But you said it was stable?

It had been stable (before this started) after as far as I could tell, OK I had
not run it for long before the update/dist-upgrade

>> so I had to do a fresh install again (just Ubuntu side this time) again from my
>> 16.04.3 media, I decided that untill I had more info I would not
>> update / dist-upgrade, thinking that I may be at end of road, if cant
>> update/dist-upgrade?

>> meanwhile I downloaded the later 16.04.4 iso to test "if" "live usb" would run
>> on same netbook, it did

>> Back on installed sys I tested with

>> ~$ sudo lsb_release -a && sudo uname -a
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>> Release:        16.04
>> Codename:       xenial
>> Linux Dawn 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:13 UTC
>> 2017 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

>So it's on -03. OK.

yes, installed from a -03 live usb

>> all was much as I expected, so I then made same test from live usb

>> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsb_release -a && uname -a
>> No LSB modules are available.
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
>> Release:        16.04
>> Codename:       xenial
>> Linux ubuntu 4.13.0-36-generic #40~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 16 23:26:51 UTC
>> 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

>> now I am was confused by the result from "uame -a" (16.04.1 ?)

>Well either it's -01 or it's -04, but not both.

That was why I asked here, I (as can be seen) ran the commands from a live -04
usb, I did not expect it to work, assuming that something that changed in
4.13.0-36-generic was the reasom for the problem, but it was worth a try

lsb_release -a && uname -a

was cut and pasted directly from terminal window

>And either way, you said at the top of your message it's a 16.04-03
>medium. You are contradicting yourself.

the system was 16.04.3, I only down loaded the 16.04.4 iso later as I mentioned
to test

>When did it go wrong? What happened? That would seem to me to be what
>to troubleshoot.

the screen was black with white squiggles (closest description) nothing else, I
did try to get a terminal but that was no better (less squiggles more blank
black)

I could take a photo but not sure how helpful that may be

>And if you are going to start over, I suggest you start over with
>16.04-0, no updates.

That is my next step, was hoping there may have been some known problem that I
could "fix"

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

14 March 2018  at 10:30, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>And if you are going to start over, I suggest you start over with
>16.04-0, no updates.

Just did that, It behaves the same as an updated/upgraded 16.04.3 i.e. not
useable

the Live version runs fine but once installed fails

I don't know if that shows any light on why

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

On 14 March 2018 at 16:57, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 14 March 2018  at 10:30, Liam Proven wrote:
> Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

OK, so 16.04-0 is no better.

So it's probably _not_ something caused by an update.

One other thing stuck out as strange, reading your previous messages
about this machine...

It dual-boots Win7, yes?

But when it died, you said you had to reinstall Win7 too? Correct?

Why was that? Did Win7 no longer boot, or did it exhibit problems as well?

Am I correct in saying that you tried with 17.04 and the machine
seemed fine? What about 17.10?

On 14 March 2018 at 15:57, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
14 March 2018  at 9:04, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>On 14 March 2018 at 07:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
>[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for any and all help

>> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable
>> 16.04
>> system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
>> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run

>> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade
>>
>> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous
>> unuseable
>> situation [1]

>After it has failed, boot off a live image and look at /var/log/syslog on
>the hard disk to see if there are any clues as to the problem.

I will try that now

Live session up and running /var/log/syslog very long and nothing jumps out but
to be honest not sure what I'm looking for, is there a way to clean and start
afresh ? (as it has booted may times since the re-install)

Put it in pastebin or somewhere and post the link.

I had auto-logon not sure how to change as I can't use the system, would
falling back to pre-update kernel allow that change? I could turn it off next
time I re-install? (seems I may have to do that)

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and comment out autologin-user line.
That assumes it is using lightdm. Not certain of that with 16.04 but I think it is.

The fact that you have autologin enabled and syslog is not showing anything obvious means it may well be  a graphics problem after login and not a boot problem at all.  What graphics card do you have?

Colin

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

14 March 2018  at 17:23, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>On 14 March 2018 at 16:57, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 14 March 2018  at 10:30, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>OK, so 16.04-0 is no better.

Installed it's not, but Live works, the reason escapes me

>So it's probably _not_ something caused by an update.

the update (dist-upgrade) from 16.04.3 to 16.04.4 (or maybe kernel
4.10.0-28-generic to 4.13.0-36-generic)

>One other thing stuck out as strange, reading your previous messages
>about this machine...

>It dual-boots Win7, yes?

Yes

>But when it died, you said you had to reinstall Win7 too? Correct?

Yes, the process of Advanced Repair or the first re-install broke Win7, the
first re-install had no Win7 on grub, Boot-Repair could see it but still no joy
booting, so I cut my losses and formated the drive, and started afresh, so far
since Win7 has stayed working

>Why was that? Did Win7 no longer boot, or did it exhibit problems as well?

>Am I correct in saying that you tried with 17.04 and the machine
>seemed fine? What about 17.10?

Live 17.04 works fine, the 17.10 (32 bit) live I tried was a daily ad also
worked fine, 17.10 full (desktop) version iso's are all 64 bit, I could install
17.04 to a usb and upgrade to 17.10, that way it would still be 32 bit, great
if it works but not very infomative if not

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade

Liam Proven
On 14 March 2018 at 17:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Live 17.04 works fine, the 17.10 (32 bit) live I tried was a daily ad also
> worked fine, 17.10 full (desktop) version iso's are all 64 bit, I could install
> 17.04 to a usb and upgrade to 17.10, that way it would still be 32 bit, great
> if it works but not very infomative if not

Ahh, it's a 32-bit only machine?

You didn't mention that, I think. That might change things.

You can get a 32-bit _server_ image of 17.10:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/17.10/

Might be worth a try. Once it's installed, you can install a desktop:

https://www.linuxtrainingacademy.com/install-desktop-on-ubuntu-server/

It is presumably an old, low-spec machine, so I'd suggest something
lightweight that doesn't need 3D drivers. Lubuntu (LXDE) is as light
as Ubuntu offers, but Xubuntu (XFCE) is a bit more customisable and
nearly as light.

14 March 2018  at 16:34, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>The fact that you have autologin enabled and syslog is not showing anything
>obvious means it may well be  a graphics problem after login and not a boot
>problem at all.  What graphics card do you have?

Think you may have hit the nail there

It's an Intel Mobile 945GM, which seems to have a problem similar

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1014020/installed-ubuntu-into-an-old-notebook-un
readable-screen-artifacts

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (Solved)

ubuntu-users mailing list
14 March 2018  at 19:34, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>14 March 2018  at 16:34, Colin Law wrote:
>Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

Many Many thanks Colin

>>The fact that you have autologin enabled and syslog is not showing anything
>>obvious means it may well be  a graphics problem after login

Not exactly, it is a graphics problem, but autologon=off leaves the logon box
behind the "black squiggles" and cant be seen, with autologon=on you get into
the system, but still have the problem

>Think you may have hit the nail there

>It's an Intel Mobile 945GM, which seems to have a problem similar

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639

Followed the bug report and the "work around" worked

On 15 March 2018 at 07:45, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
14 March 2018  at 19:34, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>14 March 2018  at 16:34, Colin Law wrote:
>Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

Many Many thanks Colin

>>The fact that you have autologin enabled and syslog is not showing anything
>>obvious means it may well be  a graphics problem after login

Not exactly, it is a graphics problem, but autologon=off leaves the logon box
behind the "black squiggles" and cant be seen, with autologon=on you get into
the system, but still have the problem

>Think you may have hit the nail there

>It's an Intel Mobile 945GM, which seems to have a problem similar

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639

Followed the bug report and the "work around" worked

Just for reference can you say which comment number describes the particular workaround that worked please.

Thanks

Colin

Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (Solved)

ubuntu-users mailing list
15 March 2018  at 8:27, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (Solv (at least in part)

>On 15 March 2018 at 07:45, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
>[hidden email]> wrote:

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639

>> Followed the bug report and the "work around" worked

>Just for reference can you say which comment number describes the
>particular workaround that worked please.

I started from #101 but it appears (after rereading) that I must have pulled
info from a few more reports (the intel 945GSE has a lot of them) so here is
what worked (for me)

edit /etc/default/grub

#uncomment &/or add

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x600