Quantcast

16.04 upgrade RIP.

Owen Branley
I attempted to upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 today but it was unsuccessful. So now neither of them work. 13.04 still works but is a pale show of 14.04, patch 115.

Screen messages include:-

1. "Could not install 'ca--certificates' The upgrade will continue but the 'ca-certificates' may not be in a working state. Please consider submitting a bug report about it.
[triggers looping abandoned].  [close]

2. Unable to update the static FcBlanks: 0x????

3.Replace the customised configuration file '/etc/sane/dll.conf'? Replace?
     Replaced!!

4. 'error in sharedoc'

5. Could not install upgrades. The upgrade has aborted. Your system could be in an unusable state.[TRUE]. A recovery will run now (dpkg -configure-a) [Close].

6 Upgrade complete. The upgrade has completed but there were errors during the upgrade process. [Close]" end of messages.

Please help if possible, thank you.

Re: 16.04 upgrade RIP.

Peter Silva
one last resort strategy that can help:

Alt-F1 ... hopefully get a line mode console.
aptitude update
aptitude dist-upgrade

it may succeed, may fail, just keep doing it over and over again.

once in a while, throw in:
apt-get install -f

sometimes it will end with a short list of one or two packages that it "can't" upgrade.  You get the same answer over and over again, where it
saya it can't upgrade x, y, and z.

try upgrading some subset of the ones listed:

apt-get install y

and that might break the look or dependency problem, then you just go back to the:

aptitude update
aptitude dist-upgrade

(aptitude is better, but if you don't have it, use apt-get instead.)

this method might get you through it, even though it is kind of ugly...

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Owen Branley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kim Briggs
On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Owen Branley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I attempted to upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 today but it was unsuccessful. So now
> neither of them work. 13.04 still works but is a pale show of 14.04, patch
> 115.
>
> Screen messages include:.....

Hello,

I had troubles with upgrades many moons ago.  I kindly suggest if you are confident in your backups, never do an upgrade.  Ever.  Format your drive while doing a new install.  Nothing is perfect and it never will be.  Too many variables are added when doing an upgrade.  Cheers.