17.04 Terminal

Billie Walsh
I created some space on my laptops hard drive and installed 17.04. In
16.04 the graphics were a complete disaster. Running 17.04 from DVD
seemed ok so....................

Anyway, I was using terminal to install something and it asks for
password, goes through a lot of stuff, then tells me it will take x
amount of space. Generally at this point I expect  something about
continue. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Just sits there. Been sitting there better
than an hour so far. Any ideas?

By the way, this is an HP media laptop. AMD quad core. Eight gigs memory

--
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: 17.04 Terminal

Valorie Zimmerman
Billie, can you copy/paste from the terminal? Select and control +
shift + c, then control + v to paste.

In general, after the list of packages which will be upgraded and
added is printed out, you have to respond "y" for yes.

Valorie

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Billie Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created some space on my laptops hard drive and installed 17.04. In 16.04
> the graphics were a complete disaster. Running 17.04 from DVD seemed ok
> so....................
>
> Anyway, I was using terminal to install something and it asks for password,
> goes through a lot of stuff, then tells me it will take x amount of space.
> Generally at this point I expect  something about continue. Nothing. Nada.
> Zip. Just sits there. Been sitting there better than an hour so far. Any
> ideas?
>
> By the way, this is an HP media laptop. AMD quad core. Eight gigs memory
>
> --
> "The time has come," the Walrus said,
> "To talk of many things:
> Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
> Of cabbages-and kings--
> And why the sea is boiling hot-
> And whether pigs have wings."
> Lewis Carroll
>
> _ _...  ..._ _
> _._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

http://about.me/valoriez

Solved - Sort of - Re: 17.04 Terminal

Billie Walsh
It's on my laptop and this is my desktop. A new install and no e-mail
set up yet.

Everything looks quite normal up to the point it asks to continue. It
looks at the repository for dependencies and determines how much extra
space will be needed but never asks to continue.

I finally shut down the terminal and tried the Software Center. Found
what I was trying to install there and some updates. Tell it to install
and then it also seems to lose all interest in doing anything. It asks
for a password and then just sits there doing nothing I can see.

Oops. 5:47AM - I see where it is downloading stuff but it appears its
downloading, or attempting to, all the files at one time. Not
sequentially. At this rate it could take days.

I'm using a wired network connection so it's not a wifi issue.
Networking shows a connection. From that point on I kind of assume it
has access to the internet just like everything else on the network