Quantcast

17.04

raymond house
Hi all,I upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 this morning and the installation stopped at "searching for obsolete software" all works but I can't access the net either with wifi or lan connected.Firefox and Chrome browsers give me the same results"server not found".Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Re: 17.04

raymond house
Re my post about 17.04 upgrade I did a fresh 17.04 install and I'm getting the same results! I had open suse on a flash drive and it worked ok.Is there a problem with 17.04? I still can't open the browser, it says it can't find the server for start Ubuntu.I am at a loss at what I can do next.

On Apr 19, 2017 1:23 PM, "Raymond House" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,I upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 this morning and the installation stopped at "searching for obsolete software" all works but I can't access the net either with wifi or lan connected.Firefox and Chrome browsers give me the same results"server not found".Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Re: 17.04

CrankyOldBugger
Raymond,  this is just a wild shot in the dark here, but it's possible that network manager isn't started.  Try this from a command line:

sudo service network-manager start

or:

sudo service network-manager restart

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 at 15:31 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
Re my post about 17.04 upgrade I did a fresh 17.04 install and I'm getting the same results! I had open suse on a flash drive and it worked ok.Is there a problem with 17.04? I still can't open the browser, it says it can't find the server for start Ubuntu.I am at a loss at what I can do next.

On Apr 19, 2017 1:23 PM, "Raymond House" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,I upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 this morning and the installation stopped at "searching for obsolete software" all works but I can't access the net either with wifi or lan connected.Firefox and Chrome browsers give me the same results"server not found".Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Re: 17.04

CrankyOldBugger
I suspect (although I can't say for sure) that the issue isn't with Firefox or Chrome, but with the networking (i.e. your computer can't see the network, thus can't get on the internet).

To confirm, go to a command line and enter:

ping 8.8.8.8

either you'll get pings from Google (that's one of their addresses) or you'll get timeouts.  If it times out, then the problem is most likely with the eth0 or wlan0 or whatever NIC you're using.

If the pings return good, then try ping www.google.ca.  If it says it doesn't know the address then the problem is name resolution.

If everything fails, then send us (you may be in for some typing), the results of:

ip link show

and

ifconfig

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 at 15:45 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

looks something like this?

if so, well that's good news.  you can see the internet.

now try it as

(ignore the underscores)

if you get the same result, then that's further good news.  if it fails, then the problem could be name resolution (i.e. you're lacking the mechanism to translate "www.google.ca" to "74.125.28.94" or whatever value it turns out to.

Also, I want to see the results of ifconfig, but to save you some typing, just give me the part that says:

inet x.x.x.x  (where 'x' is some number)

but I need to see the active NIC card, be it your wi-fi or cable connection.  So look for something that starts with "inet 192.168.x.x" (most likely)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 at 16:06 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ip link show: 1: lo: <Loopback,up,lower_up> MTU 65536 asked noqueue state unknown mode default group default glen 1000 link/Loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1 : <no-carrier,broadcast,multicast,up> MTU 1500 asked pfifo_fast state down N mode default group default glen 1000 link/ether a0:d3:c1:55:89:55 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 3: wlo1: <broadcast,multicast,up,lower_up> MTU 1500 qdisc mq state up mode dormant group default glen 1000 link/ether 80:56:f2:b0:6e:c7 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
[...]

ok, instead, try:

ip a

I must be old-fashioned...

one of those links should show your IP address.

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 at 16:40 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ok, good.  that's your internet IP address, and it looks legit.  so far so good.

now please tell me what you get from:

nmcli device show <interfacename> | grep IP4.DNS

for <interfacename> you'll need to insert the name of your NIC that's on 192.168.0.100  (maybe eth0, or enp11s0, or wlan0, or something like that).  you should see it in that "ip a" that you did earlier

we're trying to find out if you have DNS set up.

I have to head out for a while now, so maybe if one of the other guys could pick up the pieces here....

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 at 16:54 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Villarreal

Re: 17.04

Daniel Villarreal

Re: 17.04

raymond house
I get name or service not known.

Re: 17.04

Daniel Villarreal

Re: 17.04

raymond house
I loaded it to a flashdrive, how do I verify the ISO image?