Quantcast

17.04

raymond house

Hi, Jeff and Daniel, thanks for your help and patience but it was getting to complicated for me so I installed 16.04 LTS and all works ok.I wish the upgrade to 17.04 had worked as smoothly as usual because now I have lost all my bookmarks,pics etc..I do have a back up of all on an external 2TB HD but I read about restoring my home from it and it gets very complicated, great having everything backed up but pretty useless if I have to jump through hoops to recover it into the new distro.There seems to be no easy way to do this.Anyway, thanks.

Re: 17.04

CrankyOldBugger
Glad to hear that you have backups.  That makes you part of an elite group!  If I had a dollar for every time someone came to me with a busted computer but no backups, I'd own a Cray by now...

Hang on to those backups, though.  Once you get the 16.04 install working the way you like it we'll see about restoring your documents and pictures at least.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 at 04:47 raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Jeff and Daniel, thanks for your help and patience but it was getting to complicated for me so I installed 16.04 LTS and all works ok.I wish the upgrade to 17.04 had worked as smoothly as usual because now I have lost all my bookmarks,pics etc..I do have a back up of all on an external 2TB HD but I read about restoring my home from it and it gets very complicated, great having everything backed up but pretty useless if I have to jump through hoops to recover it into the new distro.There seems to be no easy way to do this.Anyway, thanks.

Re: 17.04

raymond house

Hi Jeff, well I'm glad that I have backup, I was trying to restore some of the files but I was having trouble doing it so I backed up the whole Home folder(35GB) and that worked real good, so I am a happy camper now! it's all done and 16.04 looks like I want it now! Thanks again for your help.