18.04.1 Point Release Testing

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

18.04.1 Point Release Testing

flocculant
Builds are now available for us to test.

These builds include -proposed packages - intended.

You can find them to test at
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/392/builds

Please test as much as you can find the time for during the next 2 days.

They will be rebuilt and aren't currently considered to be Final. That
said if we get the testing done - I will be able to tell what changes on
the iso between now and Thursday and can then make an informed decision
on what needs to be run over at the last minute.

I would much rather have that task - than testing everything in the
short window I will have between getting home and having to mark the
iso's as ready

Thanks in advance

Kev

Xubuntu Council and QA Lead


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [xubuntu-users] 18.04.1 Point Release Testing

Art-2
I read in horror the news about 18.04.1! I cannot believe they have
canned the ability to encrypt the home folder, providing only 'full
disk' encryption as an alternative.

I won't use any linux variant if the ability to provide a worthy and
appropriate means of encryption isn't provided.

When one encrypts the entire disk, the processor load soars and my
somewhat oldish hardware in my current punchbox will fall flat on its
face. Under the old 18.04, with a fully loaded installation and an
encrypted home folder, I boot in 12 seconds and shut down in 8 seconds.
And, this is with an aging I5 processor, second generation on an old
Lenovo M91P SFF computer that I paid $65 for 3 years ago.

If the entire disk is encrypted (per the current release), the
performance will take a severe hit and I do not want to buy new
hardware. I'm not so sure why those on this list haven't commented about
this before now.

I am planning to downgrade (back to 16.04), and hang on for a workable
encryption solution. If this full disk encryption plan isn't improved,
my Linux use will end when support for 16.04 does. I am very disappointed.

Rather than calling the existing home folder encryption software
'buggy', how about writing software that isn't buggy instead? Encrypting
the entire disk is insane, IMHO.

I'm also a little curious why this bomb has been dropped with little or
no advance warning to the community.....maybe I am not subscribed to the
proper mailing list-please suggest which lists I should subscribe to in
order to be aware of these types of changes before they happen.

And, finally, TY to all who run this list and support the linux
movement...I'm sure that isn't heard nearly as often as it should be!

Regards,

Art



On 07/24/2018 01:19 PM, flocculant wrote:

> Builds are now available for us to test.
>
> These builds include -proposed packages - intended.
>
> You can find them to test at
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/392/builds
>
> Please test as much as you can find the time for during the next 2 days.
>
> They will be rebuilt and aren't currently considered to be Final. That
> said if we get the testing done - I will be able to tell what changes
> on the iso between now and Thursday and can then make an informed
> decision on what needs to be run over at the last minute.
>
> I would much rather have that task - than testing everything in the
> short window I will have between getting home and having to mark the
> iso's as ready
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kev
>
> Xubuntu Council and QA Lead
>
>



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [xubuntu-users] 18.04.1 Point Release Testing

Tiago Ribeiro
Can't this be reported as a bug?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 18:09 Art <[hidden email]> wrote:
I read in horror the news about 18.04.1! I cannot believe they have
canned the ability to encrypt the home folder, providing only 'full
disk' encryption as an alternative.

I won't use any linux variant if the ability to provide a worthy and
appropriate means of encryption isn't provided.

When one encrypts the entire disk, the processor load soars and my
somewhat oldish hardware in my current punchbox will fall flat on its
face. Under the old 18.04, with a fully loaded installation and an
encrypted home folder, I boot in 12 seconds and shut down in 8 seconds.
And, this is with an aging I5 processor, second generation on an old
Lenovo M91P SFF computer that I paid $65 for 3 years ago.

If the entire disk is encrypted (per the current release), the
performance will take a severe hit and I do not want to buy new
hardware. I'm not so sure why those on this list haven't commented about
this before now.

I am planning to downgrade (back to 16.04), and hang on for a workable
encryption solution. If this full disk encryption plan isn't improved,
my Linux use will end when support for 16.04 does. I am very disappointed.

Rather than calling the existing home folder encryption software
'buggy', how about writing software that isn't buggy instead? Encrypting
the entire disk is insane, IMHO.

I'm also a little curious why this bomb has been dropped with little or
no advance warning to the community.....maybe I am not subscribed to the
proper mailing list-please suggest which lists I should subscribe to in
order to be aware of these types of changes before they happen.

And, finally, TY to all who run this list and support the linux
movement...I'm sure that isn't heard nearly as often as it should be!

Regards,

Art



On 07/24/2018 01:19 PM, flocculant wrote:
> Builds are now available for us to test.
>
> These builds include -proposed packages - intended.
>
> You can find them to test at
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/392/builds
>
> Please test as much as you can find the time for during the next 2 days.
>
> They will be rebuilt and aren't currently considered to be Final. That
> said if we get the testing done - I will be able to tell what changes
> on the iso between now and Thursday and can then make an informed
> decision on what needs to be run over at the last minute.
>
> I would much rather have that task - than testing everything in the
> short window I will have between getting home and having to mark the
> iso's as ready
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kev
>
> Xubuntu Council and QA Lead
>
>



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel