18.04.2 is coming

Sebastien Bacher
Hey there,

I feel like there isn't much communication around incoming Ubuntu LTS
point releases nowadays which makes it easy to miss the target. I don't
know if it's only me but hopefully others also find this email useful.

So first, for those who don't pay attention to the bionic schedule,
Ubuntu 18.04.2 is due on february 7th, now is probably time to
land/verify the fixes you care about!

Then some questions

* are we still on track for that date?

* when do we need to get the SRUs in proposed and moved to -updates to
be on the image? (having a freeze date on the schedule would be useful)

* do we have a list of "things that need to be in" somewhere? Looking at
the current queues (packages in unapproved or waiting verification in
proposed) and talking to some people we have teams who real care to get
at least those in

- snapd 2.37.1 (just landed in proposed,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1811233)
- hwe/xorg update
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdrm/+bug/1798597)
- fwupdate (blocked in bionic/binNEW for some time,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fwupdate/+bug/1785165)

(do we plan a language pack update?)

Thanks for reading, hopefully we are not too late on the schedule to get
the important SRUs listed before still in

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: 18.04.2 is coming

Lukasz Zemczak
Hey Seb!

Since I am not driving the release, for now let me answer the question
of the language pack updates. Those went into -proposed last week so
are in progress and the testing deadline passed basically an hour ago
(there were two call-for-testing e-mails on the translation ML). You
can see all details regarding that here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA

Sadly, as with previous point releases, there was not too many
languages tested, but better those few than none. I will be releasing
the verified ones a bit later today.

Cheers,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 16:25, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I feel like there isn't much communication around incoming Ubuntu LTS
> point releases nowadays which makes it easy to miss the target. I don't
> know if it's only me but hopefully others also find this email useful.
>
> So first, for those who don't pay attention to the bionic schedule,
> Ubuntu 18.04.2 is due on february 7th, now is probably time to
> land/verify the fixes you care about!
>
> Then some questions
>
> * are we still on track for that date?
>
> * when do we need to get the SRUs in proposed and moved to -updates to
> be on the image? (having a freeze date on the schedule would be useful)
>
> * do we have a list of "things that need to be in" somewhere? Looking at
> the current queues (packages in unapproved or waiting verification in
> proposed) and talking to some people we have teams who real care to get
> at least those in
>
> - snapd 2.37.1 (just landed in proposed,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1811233)
> - hwe/xorg update
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdrm/+bug/1798597)
> - fwupdate (blocked in bionic/binNEW for some time,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fwupdate/+bug/1785165)
>
> (do we plan a language pack update?)
>
> Thanks for reading, hopefully we are not too late on the schedule to get
> the important SRUs listed before still in
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastien Bacher

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

Re: 18.04.2 is coming

Sebastien Bacher
Hey Lukasz!

Thanks, I looked at launchpad before emailing but I was on the -base
page for the packages and it looks like we did update those for .1 but
are not going to do that for .2 but rather go with normal delta update
there, which I guess makes sense

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Le 30/01/2019 à 16:31, Lukasz Zemczak a écrit :

> Hey Seb!
>
> Since I am not driving the release, for now let me answer the question
> of the language pack updates. Those went into -proposed last week so
> are in progress and the testing deadline passed basically an hour ago
> (there were two call-for-testing e-mails on the translation ML). You
> can see all details regarding that here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA
>
> Sadly, as with previous point releases, there was not too many
> languages tested, but better those few than none. I will be releasing
> the verified ones a bit later today.
>
> Cheers,

Re: 18.04.2 is coming

Steve Langasek-6
Hi Seb,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 04:24:34PM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey there,

> I feel like there isn't much communication around incoming Ubuntu LTS
> point releases nowadays which makes it easy to miss the target. I don't
> know if it's only me but hopefully others also find this email useful.

Thanks, it's not part of our documented point release process to have
outbound communication about this perhaps due to the assumption that people
would reference the release schedule on their own, but it doesn't hurt to
give people a head's-up (and better late than never).

> So first, for those who don't pay attention to the bionic schedule,
> Ubuntu 18.04.2 is due on february 7th, now is probably time to
> land/verify the fixes you care about!

> Then some questions

> * are we still on track for that date?

> * when do we need to get the SRUs in proposed and moved to -updates to
> be on the image? (having a freeze date on the schedule would be useful)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PointReleaseProcess describes that SRUs should be in
-updates one week before the point release date.

> * do we have a list of "things that need to be in" somewhere? Looking at
> the current queues (packages in unapproved or waiting verification in
> proposed) and talking to some people we have teams who real care to get
> at least those in

> - snapd 2.37.1 (just landed in proposed,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1811233)
> - hwe/xorg update
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdrm/+bug/1798597)
> - fwupdate (blocked in bionic/binNEW for some time,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fwupdate/+bug/1785165)

> (do we plan a language pack update?)

> Thanks for reading, hopefully we are not too late on the schedule to get
> the important SRUs listed before still in

The list of bugs targeted to the 18.04.2 milestone is:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/?field.milestone%3Alist=86800

It's always possible for developers to target bugs to the point release
milestones if they believe they are critical.

The HWE stack is certainly understood to be a requirement for the point
release, so that is in hand.

It appears the fwupdate packages are released from binary NEW now.

What is it about the snapd update (2.37 vs. 2.34) that is
point-release-critical, given that snapd re-execs itself?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

Re: 18.04.2 is coming

Sebastien Bacher
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply!

Le 31/01/2019 à 00:32, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> Thanks, it's not part of our documented point release process to have
> outbound communication about this perhaps due to the assumption that people
> would reference the release schedule on their own, but it doesn't hurt to
> give people a head's-up (and better late than never).

Where would be the right place to suggest that we add to the process a
reminder email about the incoming freeze for LTS point releases?
Something around the line of "if you want are working on some update
that really needs to be in and hasn't landed yet now is time to talk to
us about it/have the SRU going or you are going to miss the target".
I think it's not too much work and would be useful since it seems every
cycle we have some busy people who don't especially keep an eye on the
calendar and end up missing their landing target (do we have an
ics/something better than the wiki?)

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PointReleaseProcess describes that SRUs should be in
> -updates one week before the point release date.

Thanks, I should have clicked on that link from the schedule page :)

Btw that page mentions that base-files should have been updated some
weeks ago, seems that didn't happen (for whoever is handling that
milestone, hopefully they read u-d@)

> The list of bugs targeted to the 18.04.2 milestone is:
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/?field.milestone%3Alist=86800
>
> It's always possible for developers to target bugs to the point release
> milestones if they believe they are critical.

Right, my main interrogation there is on what happens if those listed
bugs are not fixed? Currently 3 of those on the list seem to be in that
case.
The gnome-shell one has been uploaded and is waiting for review in
unapproved (though the update is non trivial and it feels late, maybe
best to release it after the .2 image is built as a 0-day SRU), the
ubiquity ones seem not have a fix in the queue yet?
Do we delay the point release to get those fix in? Is anyone reaching
out to stakeholder to figure out what we do? Or do we just get the point
release out on schedule without those?

> It appears the fwupdate packages are released from binary NEW now.

Great, thanks!

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: 18.04.2 is coming

Ernst Persson
Is there a LiveCD that boots with and has the HWE/Xorg update by default?

Regards
//Ernst