18.04 has no support for my printer

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hi Liam Proven

I am in South Africa. Johannesburg actually. We lag behind somewhat.

[hidden email]:~$ ls -la /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
-rw-r----- 1 root lp 17256 Oct 16 12:41 /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
[hidden email]:~$

I am getting comfortable with operating a terminal; Just very little idea of which commands will help.
This old dog hopes to remain an end user.

We seem to be getting close to a solution to printing!

Take care. Chas
--
Our preferred address is
[hidden email]

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:43, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 16:26, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After installing HP-Lip 3.18.9 that downloaded about 400 MB and took an hour or so I got no printing.

Gosh -- that's slow. Where in the world are you?

> So used HP Device Manager to diagnose the driver

Good step, I think.

> with this result right at the end:
>

> warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd

OK. Helpful but not as helpful as it could be!

> Now how do I change permission for the .ppd file? Or copy it elsewhere?

Well first let's see what the permissions *are*.

If you issue this command in a terminal:

ls -la /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd

Note, capitals are important! You may be able to tab-complete it --
type 2-3 letters of each bit (between slashes) and then press the Tab
key and Ubuntu should autocomplete it for you. If it beeps, type
another letter or 2 and try again.

Then paste the result, so we know what the permissions are.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-277
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 12:57:16 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 12:06:24 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:
>
> > chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpinfo -v
> > network beh
> > file cups-brf:/
> > network ipp
> > network https
> > network ipps
> > network http
> > network socket
> > network lpd
> > direct hp
> > direct hpfax
> > network smb
>
> There *is* a problem here. There should be a line begining
>
> direct usb://.....
>
> and direct hp should be
>
> direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

Just to be as clear as I can be here.

The lpinfo -v command indicates you do not have a USB printer connected
to your machine. lpinfo is a definitive command; it is used by other
setup utilities behind the scenes. There is little point in trying other
utilities or setup methods until you sort this out.

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Well Liam usermod result is strange:

chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp charles
[sudo] password for chas:
usermod: user 'charles' does not exist
chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp Charles
usermod: user 'Charles' does not exist
chas@Charles-PC:~$

My user name is definitely Charles in the Users settings.
What next?

[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:59, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 18:49, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We already know. They are in another post in this thread.

Ah, good catch. Sorry, I had missed that.

OK, they look correct.

So, the alternative issue is that Charles' user is not in the correct
group as apparently the group permissions aren't enough.

Charles -- what is your login name on this machine?

For instance, if it's "charles" then try this:

sudo usermod -a -G lp charles

Then reboot and try again.

Solution from here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/485232

On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 20:12:56 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> Well Liam usermod result is strange:
>
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp charles
> [sudo] password for chas:
> usermod: user 'charles' does not exist
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp Charles
> usermod: user 'Charles' does not exist
> chas@Charles-PC:~$
>
> My user name is definitely Charles in the Users settings.
> What next?

My guess is that your username is chas. Run the command 'whoami'.

Even so, you are heading down a dead end.

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Ian Bruntlett

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 19:15, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

My user name is definitely Charles in the Users settings.
What next?
There are two commands that I use when I am confused :)

This command tells me who I am logged in as:-
whoami

This command tells me what I am logged onto:-
hostname

You can get details on commands by using either the man command or the info command.

BW,

Ian

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hi Brian
I repeated the usermod command, whoami and hostname.
Results are:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp charles
[sudo] password for chas:
usermod: user 'charles' does not exist
chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp Charles
usermod: user 'Charles' does not exist
chas@Charles-PC:~$ whoami
chas
chas@Charles-PC:~$ hostname
Charles-PC
chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp chas
[sudo] password for chas:
chas@Charles-PC:~$

The last usermod for chas gets no reply

After restarting my PC I tried to print a 2 page document. No output at all.
HP Device manager shows Started/Processing and Pending on the job both with an hourglass.
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 20:39:41 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> Hi Brian
> I repeated the usermod command, whoami and hostname.
> Results are:
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp charles
> [sudo] password for chas:
> usermod: user 'charles' does not exist
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp Charles
> usermod: user 'Charles' does not exist
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ whoami
> chas

chas is your username.

> chas@Charles-PC:~$ hostname
> Charles-PC
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo usermod -a -G lp chas
> [sudo] password for chas:
> chas@Charles-PC:~$
>
> The last usermod for chas gets no reply

I am not going even going to attempt to sort this out. The changing of
permissions is not a fruitful route to getting you to print. Take it by
all means, but I am not following.

> After restarting my PC I tried to print a 2 page document. No output at all.
> HP Device manager shows Started/Processing and Pending on the job both with
> an hourglass.

Lots of reasons for this. Do you fancy doing 'lpinfo -v' again? As I've
implied - no usb or hp lines means no printing. No "ifs" or "buts". Got
that?

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hello Ralf

I used your commands to add to group lp and lpadmin, then logged out and in again and did sudo hp-setup.
This was the result:

chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo hp-setup
[sudo] password for chas:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.18.9)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Extension:    130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
  Resource id:  0x137
X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) 128
  Extension:    130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 5 (X_ShmCreatePixmap)
  Resource id:  0x3400010
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x3400011
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x3400011
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x3400011

Then did hp-setup without sudo and added a printer for the third time.

This resulted:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.18.9)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)

Done.
chas@Charles-PC:~$

I also did Device / Printer settings, selected the hp/cups 3.18.9 ppd, installed it.

I tried to print 2 pages but job was stopped; no output.
Checked this printer Properties and found Status "Idle - Filter failed"
So I do not know what else to try.
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 17:04, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I didn't follow this thread, so I don't know if this is relevant:

https://www.google.de/search?ei=&q=ubuntu+printer+group
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/168825/what-permission-do-i-need-to-add-an-hp-printer-with-hp-setup

https://www.google.de/search?&q=ubuntu+group+lp
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/219083/default-groups-for-user-in-ubuntu

sudo gpasswd -a $USER lp
sudo gpasswd -a $USER lpadmin
logout and login
sudo hp-setup

For better printing quality you might want to take a look at gutenprint.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Charles,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 20:32, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried to print 2 pages but job was stopped; no output.
Checked this printer Properties and found Status "Idle - Filter failed"
So I do not know what else to try.

Sometimes having someone try to fix it in person is helpful. I had to sort out a trackpad not responding problem on a laptop for someone in Contact, today. Being physically present made the process less onerous.

So I would suggest you find a local Linux User Group and see if they can help you in person.

BW,

Ian

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Colin Law
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 20:32, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I do not know what else to try.

Unplug the printer from the PC, then in a terminal run
tail -f /var/log/syslog
That will show the end of the system log and will sit waiting for more logs.  Hit enter a couple of times so you get a gap in the text.  Now plug the printer into the PC.  Copy/paste here what you see added to the terminal.  To copy from the terminal use Ctrl-Shift-C.  When you have done you can type Ctrl-C in the terminal to break out of the tail command.

Colin

On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 17:02:19 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't follow this thread, so I don't know if this is relevant:

Brilliant! I've not read much and what I have read I do not understand.
But here's my oar to stick in.

> https://www.google.de/search?ei=&q=ubuntu+printer+group
>   https://askubuntu.com/questions/168825/what-permission-do-i-need-to-add-an-hp-printer-with-hp-setup
>
> https://www.google.de/search?&q=ubuntu+group+lp
>   https://askubuntu.com/questions/219083/default-groups-for-user-in-ubuntu
>
> sudo gpasswd -a $USER lp
> sudo gpasswd -a $USER lpadmin

Completely unnecessary. All Ubuntu first users are members of the
lpadmin group.

> logout and login
> sudo hp-setup
>
> For better printing quality you might want to take a look at gutenprint.

That's a gem! How does he get to print with gutenprint? (Don't bother
trying to answer this. It's rhetorical).

--
Brian.

On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 21:30:25 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> I tried to print 2 pages but job was stopped; no output.
> Checked this printer Properties and found Status "Idle - Filter failed"
> So I do not know what else to try.

This printer you added for the third time - it has a name. Give the
result of

lpoptions -p <name>

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hi Brian
Output from lpinfo -v looks good:

[hidden email]:~$ lpinfo -v
network beh
file cups-brf:/
network ipps
network http
network ipp
network https
network socket
network lpd
network smb
direct usb://HP/Deskjet%201510%20series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ&interface=1
direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ
direct hpfax
[hidden email]:~$

I also ran HP diagnose HPLIP driver to check HP driver:
Sorry the result is rather long.
 | INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------
Deskjet-1510-series
-------------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10
Printer status: printer Deskjet-1510-series now printing Deskjet-1510-series-2544.  enabled since Wed 17 Oct 2018 06:30:51 SAST
Communication status: Good

Deskjet_1510
------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.17.10
Printer status: printer Deskjet_1510 is idle.  enabled since Tue 16 Oct 2018 15:42:37 SAST
Communication status: Good

Deskjet_1510_2
--------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_2.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.18.9
Printer status: printer Deskjet_1510_2 is idle.  enabled since Tue 16 Oct 2018 21:05:06 SAST
Communication status: Good

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

USB             Deskjet-1510-series            Required        -        -        OK       Node:'/dev/bus/usb/003/003' Perm:'  root  lp rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'

Checking for Configured Queues....

warning: 3 queues of same device Deskjet-1510-series is configured.
Remove unwanted queues.

Checking for HP Properitery Plugin's....
No plug-in printers are configured.

Diagnose completed...

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hi Brian
lpoptions result is:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpoptions -p Deskjet_1510_2
copies=1 device-uri=hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ finishings=3 job-cancel-after=10800 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=0 number-up=1 printer-commands=none printer-info='After chas was added to lp group & lpadmin' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-is-temporary=false printer-location=Charles-PC printer-make-and-model='HP Deskjet 1510 Series, hpcups 3.18.9' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1539716706 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=36876 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost/printers/Deskjet_1510_2
chas@Charles-PC:~$
****************************
I hope that helps!!
Thanks for persisting.
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 00:00, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 21:30:25 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> I tried to print 2 pages but job was stopped; no output.
> Checked this printer Properties and found Status "Idle - Filter failed"
> So I do not know what else to try.

This printer you added for the third time - it has a name. Give the
result of

lpoptions -p <name>

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hello Colin

I did the tail command with the results:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ tail -f /var/log/syslog
Oct 17 08:18:50 Charles-PC gvfsd-metadata[1767]: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
Oct 17 08:18:50 Charles-PC gvfsd-metadata[1767]: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
Oct 17 08:18:50 Charles-PC org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1693]: Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 73 with keysym 73 (keycode 27).
Oct 17 08:20:19 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6906.220644] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:98:de:d0:e7:d6:68:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
Oct 17 08:20:33 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6920.379125] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 3
Oct 17 08:20:33 Charles-PC upowerd[1199]: unhandled action 'unbind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3
Oct 17 08:20:34 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6921.088725] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=269381 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:20:34 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6921.088735] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=149996 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8610 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:20:34 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6921.098884] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=269381 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:20:34 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6921.098894] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=149996 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8610 LEN=24

*********************** connected printer**********

Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.107486] usb 3-3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.256093] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=c111
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.256095] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.256096] usb 3-3: Product: Deskjet 1510 series
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.256097] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: HP
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.256098] usb 3-3: SerialNumber: CN43B1D1DC05XJ
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.257201] usblp 3-3:1.1: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0xC111
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC root: loading HP Device 003 004
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC python: io/hpmud/musb.c 2189: [5639] hpmud_make_usb_uri() bus=003 dev=004
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC python: io/hpmud/musb.c 2287: hpmud_make_usb_uri() uri=hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ bytes_read=49
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC colord[1028]: CdMain: failed to emit DeviceAdded: failed to register object: An object is already exported for the interface org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Device at /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/sysfs_HP_Deskjet_1510_series
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.792366] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=269381 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.792380] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=149996 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8610 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.802492] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=269381 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC kernel: [ 6998.802501] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:da79:0040:0449:cca6 DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=149996 PROTO=UDP SPT=8612 DPT=8610 LEN=24
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC colord-sane: io/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC colord-sane: io/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC upowerd[1199]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.1
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC colord-sane: io/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied
Oct 17 08:21:51 Charles-PC upowerd[1199]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-3
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC dhclient[1428]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.104 on eth0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x2c652a01)
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC dhclient[1428]: DHCPACK of 192.168.0.104 from 192.168.0.1
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5604] dhcp4 (eth0):   address 192.168.0.104
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5604] dhcp4 (eth0):   plen 24 (255.255.255.0)
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5604] dhcp4 (eth0):   gateway 192.168.0.1
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5605] dhcp4 (eth0):   lease time 7200
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5605] dhcp4 (eth0):   nameserver '192.168.0.1'
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC NetworkManager[910]: <info>  [1539757324.5605] dhcp4 (eth0): state changed bound -> bound
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC dbus-daemon[903]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service' requested by ':1.20' (uid=0 pid=910 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon " label="unconfined")
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC dbus-daemon[903]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.nm_dispatcher'
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC nm-dispatcher: req:1 'dhcp4-change' [eth0]: new request (1 scripts)
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC nm-dispatcher: req:1 'dhcp4-change' [eth0]: start running ordered scripts...
Oct 17 08:22:04 Charles-PC dhclient[1428]: bound to 192.168.0.104 -- renewal in 3350 seconds.
Oct 17 08:22:24 Charles-PC kernel: [ 7031.199201] [UFW BLOCK] IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:98:de:d0:e7:d6:68:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
^C
chas@Charles-PC:~$
************************
I see errors but hope they help you fix next step.
Take care. Chas

[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 21:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 20:32, Charles Irons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I do not know what else to try.

Unplug the printer from the PC, then in a terminal run
tail -f /var/log/syslog
That will show the end of the system log and will sit waiting for more logs.  Hit enter a couple of times so you get a gap in the text.  Now plug the printer into the PC.  Copy/paste here what you see added to the terminal.  To copy from the terminal use Ctrl-Shift-C.  When you have done you can type Ctrl-C in the terminal to break out of the tail command.

Colin

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian-277
On Wed 17 Oct 2018 at 07:09:45 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

[Snip]

> direct usb://HP/Deskjet%201510%20series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ&interface=1
>
> direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ

You can use either of these URIs but stick with the second one (or try
both).

As advised earlier, do

 lpadmin -p test -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>

and print with
 lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

The point here is that we doing the same thing, which should make it
easier to track down a problem.

If there is no printing (or even if there is) carry out

 cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log

and look at log for any errors.

[Another snip]

> Checking for Configured Queues....
>
> warning: 3 queues of same device Deskjet-1510-series is configured.
> Remove unwanted queues.

Use the web interface or 'lpadmin -x <queue> for this.

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hi Brian

Here are results of the tests you detailed:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file.
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_2.ppd
lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file.
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf
request id is test-2550 (1 file(s))
chas@Charles-PC:~$

Print job is continuing. Code 1002.
Deskjet-1510-series

No movement on the printer at all.

chas@Charles-PC:~$ cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
chas@Charles-PC:~$

Ubuntu error by cupsfilter. I sent error report so lost the details.
I repeated the command with same response but no Ubuntu error.

I really appreciate your persistence. Thanks again.
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028

On Wed 17 Oct 2018 at 17:14:33 +0200, Charles Irons wrote:

> Hi Brian
>
> Here are results of the tests you detailed:
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v
> hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m
> /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-1510-series.ppd
> lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file.
> chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v
> hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m
> /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_2.ppd
> lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file.

Your -m directive is incorrect. Please reread the earlier posts. The
command you want is

lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd

Check that the queue test has been established with 'lpstat -a'. If it
hasn't been (unlikely), add sudo before lpadmin.

sudo lpadmin......

> chas@Charles-PC:~$ lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf

This can be done as an ordinary user.

> request id is test-2550 (1 file(s))
> chas@Charles-PC:~$
>
> Print job is continuing. Code 1002.
> Deskjet-1510-series
>
> No movement on the printer at all.

The queue was not set up.

> chas@Charles-PC:~$ cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e
> /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> chas@Charles-PC:~$

No idea about why core was dumped. If done as an ordinary user, the
command will not work because cupsfilter is not in chas' path. (The
failure is beause of the faulty command I gave you). However, you
should have got "cupsfilter: command not found". Modify the command
to have

/usr/sbin/cupsfilter.......

> Ubuntu error by cupsfilter. I sent error report so lost the details.
> I repeated the command with same response but no Ubuntu error.

--
Brian.

Re: 18.04 has no support for my printer

Charles Irons
Hello Brian

Sorry for using so much of your time. I have followed your commands and added more without success.
See below:
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpstat -a
Deskjet-1510-series accepting requests since Wed 17 Oct 2018 09:30:55 SAST
Deskjet_1510_2 accepting requests since Thu 18 Oct 2018 08:25:16 SAST
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd
chas@Charles-PC:~$ sudo lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd
[sudo] password for chas:
chas@Charles-PC:~$  lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf
request id is test-2553 (1 file(s))
chas@Charles-PC:~$  cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
chas@Charles-PC:~$
************
Idle - Filter failed
************
****I deleted all printers and re-installed one only. I ran HP driver diagnosis that showed:
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------
HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.18.9  ****???
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is supported for ubuntu distro  18.04 version
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 1510 Series, HPCUPS 3.17.10   ***???
Printer status: printer Deskjet_1510 is idle.  enabled since Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:25:23 SAST
Communication status: Good
*** Then I reran commands:

chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpadmin -p test -v hp:/usb/Deskjet_1510_series?serial=CN43B1D1DC05XJ -E -m drv:///hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1510_series.ppd
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lpstat -a
Deskjet_1510 accepting requests since Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:35:49 SAST
test accepting requests since Thu 18 Oct 2018 11:45:55 SAST
chas@Charles-PC:~$ lp -d test /etc/nsswitch.conf
request id is test-2557 (1 file(s))
chas@Charles-PC:~$ cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/test.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > outfile 2>log
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
chas@Charles-PC:~$
*** Still no printer activity.*****
HP diagnose queues showed *test* queue as well:
2 queues of same device Deskjet_1510 is configured.
Remove unwanted queues
I hope all the above mean something to you.
Have a good day in spite of my problem.
[hidden email]
 Mobile +2783 588 0028