19.04 Live

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

Trying to run 19.04 Live (at least) on my desktop box, but it never gets paste
a strange grey brick pattern with a curser

never gets to the choice to Install or run LiveUSB, there don't "seem" to be
any options during boot (used to be F keys to choose)

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, 2 GB Ram, AMD Radion 9200

Re: 19.04 Live

Colin Watson
On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:21:57PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> Does it come up with a page immediately on boot with an icon of a keyboard
> and a little man?

Note that you only get that when booting using BIOS mode, not UEFI.

Re: 19.04 Live

Colin Law

On Wed, 1 May 2019, 17:53 Colin Watson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:21:57PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> Does it come up with a page immediately on boot with an icon of a keyboard
> and a little man?

Note that you only get that when booting using BIOS mode, not UEFI.

How can one check the image in that case?

Colin

--
Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

Re: 19.04 Live

Mike Marchywka
On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:51:26PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:21:57PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> > Does it come up with a page immediately on boot with an icon of a keyboard
> > and a little man?
>
> Note that you only get that when booting using BIOS mode, not UEFI.

Is there a good link that documents how to create a bootable flash drive
that boots on either? I wanted to put the 'Beaver iso on a SSD and have it come up
with a different command line- no casper and a rw root. However, it looks like
the CD file system is inherently RO ( joliet or whatever the thing is called )
 and I guess I need to go from FAT to ext3.
I'm trying to copy the Dell boot partition ion my HD now but it is taking foreveri to figure out.
So far I've been playing with [x]disk ( x=f,g,sg etc ) and parted  and I haven't
managed to format the hard disk accidently so I'm gaining confience but
not a bootable flash drive :)

If not, I guess I need source for a grubx64.efi or something to play with.

Thanks.

> --
> Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

Re: 19.04 Live

01 May 2019  at 17:21, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)

It does and hiting an F key (1-6) gives me the old screen, F6 + nomodeset
worked as did F6 + ExpertMode

>Does it come up with a page immediately on boot with an icon of a keyboard
>and a little man? If so then hit a key and you will get a short menu.
>Choose Check Files or similar and it will check the image. It takes some
>time, don't panic if it doesn't look as if it is doing anything.  If you
>don't get that menu I suspect you have a problem with the image.

Re: 19.04 Live

01 May 2019  at 17:01, Mike Marchywka wrote:
Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)

>Is there a good link that documents how to create a bootable flash drive
>that boots on either?

IME the live USB does work on both (mostly) even on a MAC

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 07:26:30PM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> 01 May 2019  at 17:01, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)
>
> >Is there a good link that documents how to create a bootable flash drive
> >that boots on either?
>
> IME the live USB does work on both (mostly) even on a MAC

I got started with 'Beaver using the startup CD creator on IIRC Ubuntu 11 which
was not guaranteed to work and sure enough it failed on the old emachines
but I finally got syslinux to work after hacking up the iso. The Ubuntu 16
startup creator works fine iwht 'Beavver ISO on the Dell UEFI have not tested on emachines bios.
However, AFAICT the stuff is all on an ISO file system which is not read-write
and I'd like to avoid that as I did with the syslinux version.

I just thought if there was a link to documentation  I could start from scratch, copy everything to
a hand partitioned SSD and go with that.

I guess I'm stuck with 1 or 2 FAT partitions but can avoid the ISO or Joliet RO thing.

Re: 19.04 Live

ubuntu-users mailing list
01 May 2019  at 22:10, Mike Marchywka wrote:
Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)

>I got started with 'Beaver using the startup CD creator on IIRC Ubuntu 11
>which was not guaranteed to work and sure enough it failed on the old
>emachines but I finally got syslinux to work after hacking up the iso. The
>Ubuntu 16 startup creator works fine iwht 'Beavver ISO on the Dell UEFI have
>not tested on emachines bios. However, AFAICT the stuff is all on an ISO file
>system which is not read-write and I'd like to avoid that as I did with the
>syslinux version.

Having tested (and still testing) with
LinuxLive2.9.4
Rufus-2.9
Rufus-3.4
USB-Installer-1.9.8.6
USB-Installer-1.9.8.7
Win32DiskImager-0.9.5
Win32DiskImager-1.0.0
YUMI-2.0.6.5
And native "Create Startup Media" in Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04

I find that the "best" option changes for each release, it does help that I
have Windowz, Ubuntu, PuppyLinux & Elementry boxes to test with.

Your definition of "Best" choice may very depending on what you want/need, I
have managed to get a good outcome with all above except Yumi, no version of
that has made a bootable USB with any Ubuntu (or other iso for that matter)
version, it always hangs at a BusyBox prompt.

USB-Installer was my goto installer for a long time because it just worked,
gave a working option to add persistent storage, but at some point around
1.9.6.x the persistant option stopped working (you could add it but then it
would not boot), later versions still have value as they support a large amount
of iso's

Rufus has always worked well but has no Persistant option

LinuxLive (a bit flashy) but until the latest Ubuntu (19.04) has worked well
giving a reliable persistant option, but has not seen an update for a few years
(2015 iirc) that may explain why I cant get it to make a bootable persistant
USB

Create Startup Media (native) has always worked well but again has no
persistant option (TTBOMK) it has worked forward (14.04 will make a 16.04 or
18.04 USB), I have even managed a few non-Ubuntu USB's with it

>I just thought if there was a link to documentation  I could start from
>scratch, copy everything to a hand partitioned SSD and go with that.

No need, making a good working bootable USB is not hard.

If you want a portable (non-live) install of Ubuntu it is possible to install
to an external USB, but that requires a bit of fiddling [1] if you want to boot
from "ANY"  machine, it works very well, I carry a working 16.04.6 with all the
tools you never knew you needed "until you do"

The only downside(s) to that are USB speeds across different boxes, also I
would have to fiddle more if I wished to but it on a number of MAC boxes, it
can be done (I have done it for a client) but as I don't have a MAC to test
each time and don't "need" it I just keep the instructions (and a few *.sh
scripts to help)

[1] the external USB HD will work fine (maybe slowly) on the machine you
installed it from, but you will need to add the grub boot loader to it, I know
it should be there if you followed the directions on many AskUbuntu threads,
but IME, you need to do it yourself to make it portable

Re: 19.04 Live

On Wed, 1 May 2019 17:51:26 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 05:21:57PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> Does it come up with a page immediately on boot with an icon of a
>> keyboard and a little man?
>
>Note that you only get that when booting using BIOS mode, not UEFI.

A few days ago, after an upgrade of Ubuntu 16.04 I run into strange UEFI
issues. My "BIOS" settings were "UEFI and legacy" for a long time,
while actually I had no UEFI whatsoever install on my machine. This
worked for a very long time without any issue. After that Ubuntu upgrade
my Arch Linux syslinux bootloader menu didn't appear anymore and I also
couldn't boot Ubuntu Live-DVDs that worked before anymore. First I just
removed anything UEFI related from the boot order BIOS settings, which
worked temporarily, but not everlasting. After changing the BIOS
setting from "UEFI and legacy" to "legacy" only, everything is ok again.

I would be a Christ I would recommend to stone the Ubuntu maintainers
who introduce UEFI to death, since it's good for absolutely nothing, but
obviously could cause trouble from one day to another. Fortunately I'm
not a Christ.

Btw. I didn't test an Ubuntu 19.04 live DVD, but an Ubuntu-Budgie 19.04
Live-DVD. The graphic with "an icon of a keyboard and a little man"
was broken, not the icon itself, but the upper 1/3 of the background
looked strange. However, it bootet automagically into a live session. I
dislike Budgie, but it run 100% stable.

Re: 19.04 Live

ubuntu-users mailing list
PS:

On Thu, 2 May 2019 10:35:28 +0200:
>I dislike Budgie, but it run 100% stable.

FWIW after startup finished I replaced gvfs by an empty dummy package
and removed almost all gvfs related packages, before I continued
testing the Ubuntu-Budgie 19.04 live DVD (on 2019-Apr-29).

Re: 19.04 Live

Mike Marchywka
On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 08:55:03AM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 01 May 2019  at 22:10, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)
>
> >I got started with 'Beaver using the startup CD creator on IIRC Ubuntu 11
> >which was not guaranteed to work and sure enough it failed on the old
> >emachines but I finally got syslinux to work after hacking up the iso. The
> >Ubuntu 16 startup creator works fine iwht 'Beavver ISO on the Dell UEFI have
> >not tested on emachines bios. However, AFAICT the stuff is all on an ISO file
> >system which is not read-write and I'd like to avoid that as I did with the
> >syslinux version.
>
> Having tested (and still testing) with
> LinuxLive2.9.4
> Rufus-2.9
> Rufus-3.4
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.6
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.7
> Win32DiskImager-0.9.5
> Win32DiskImager-1.0.0
> YUMI-2.0.6.5
> And native "Create Startup Media" in Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04
>
> I find that the "best" option changes for each release, it does help that I
> have Windowz, Ubuntu, PuppyLinux & Elementry boxes to test with.
>
> Your definition of "Best" choice may very depending on what you want/need, I

Thanks, it will take me a while to look into all of this. As to speed,
I really got excited playing with USB 3.0 but as you say having a stick
that boots anywhere is nice even if it is a bit slow. Most of the data
I have would fit on one flash drive and that is more portable than
the computer- although it need not run on an 6800 motorola processor :)

When startup disk creator on Ubuntu 11 failed, I ultimately could make what
I wanted by hand- in essence installed it on the flash drive by extracting
all the files from the ISO and putting on an ext3 partition with syslinux and a small FAT partition.
AFAICT the startup
creators put an ISO fS designed for CD's ( read only ) on a partition labelled
as vfat. My flash drive with the home made install does not have the ISO or Joliet
partition ( or whatever it is actually called).

The Beaver iso and Ubuntu 14 start up creator worked well on both Dells but have not
tried it on emachines yet.

In theory the UEFI process should be easy to accomplish especially if the source
for the efi files is around some where. I just have not gotten it to work
yet.

> have managed to get a good outcome with all above except Yumi, no version of
> that has made a bootable USB with any Ubuntu (or other iso for that matter)
> version, it always hangs at a BusyBox prompt.
>
> USB-Installer was my goto installer for a long time because it just worked,
> gave a working option to add persistent storage, but at some point around
> 1.9.6.x the persistant option stopped working (you could add it but then it
> would not boot), later versions still have value as they support a large amount
> of iso's
>
> Rufus has always worked well but has no Persistant option
>
> LinuxLive (a bit flashy) but until the latest Ubuntu (19.04) has worked well
> giving a reliable persistant option, but has not seen an update for a few years
> (2015 iirc) that may explain why I cant get it to make a bootable persistant
> USB
>
> Create Startup Media (native) has always worked well but again has no
> persistant option (TTBOMK) it has worked forward (14.04 will make a 16.04 or
> 18.04 USB), I have even managed a few non-Ubuntu USB's with it
>
> >I just thought if there was a link to documentation  I could start from
> >scratch, copy everything to a hand partitioned SSD and go with that.
>
> No need, making a good working bootable USB is not hard.
>
> If you want a portable (non-live) install of Ubuntu it is possible to install
> to an external USB, but that requires a bit of fiddling [1] if you want to boot
> from "ANY"  machine, it works very well, I carry a working 16.04.6 with all the
> tools you never knew you needed "until you do"
>
> The only downside(s) to that are USB speeds across different boxes, also I
> would have to fiddle more if I wished to but it on a number of MAC boxes, it
> can be done (I have done it for a client) but as I don't have a MAC to test
> each time and don't "need" it I just keep the instructions (and a few *.sh
> scripts to help)
>
> [1] the external USB HD will work fine (maybe slowly) on the machine you
> installed it from, but you will need to add the grub boot loader to it, I know
> it should be there if you followed the directions on many AskUbuntu threads,
> but IME, you need to do it yourself to make it portable

Re: 19.04 Live

ubuntu-users mailing list
02 May 2019  at 18:22, Mike Marchywka wrote:
Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)

>Thanks, it will take me a while to look into all of this. As to speed,
>I really got excited playing with USB 3.0 but as you say having a stick
>that boots anywhere is nice even if it is a bit slow. Most of the data
>I have would fit on one flash drive and that is more portable than
>the computer- although it need not run on an 6800 motorola processor :)

>When startup disk creator on Ubuntu 11 failed, I ultimately could make what I
>wanted by hand- in essence installed it on the flash drive by extracting all
>the files from the ISO and putting on an ext3 partition with syslinux and a
>small FAT partition. AFAICT the startup creators put an ISO fS designed for
>CD's ( read only ) on a partition labelled as vfat. My flash drive with the
>home made install does not have the ISO or Joliet partition ( or whatever it
>is actually called).

I know the feeling I had  a similar problem getting a live Win7 to work, but
Ubuntu (apart form 19.04) has played nice with most of the USB Creater apps
(not YUMI) as you seem to be aiming at Beaver I would beg/borrow/steal a
Windowz box and give LinuxLive a go

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?stable

I found 510mb enough for a few tools and cfg stuff

>The Beaver iso and Ubuntu 14 start up creator worked well on both Dells but have not
>tried it on emachines yet.

>In theory the UEFI process should be easy to accomplish especially if the source
>for the efi files is around some where. I just have not gotten it to work
>yet.

Re: 19.04 Live

Mike Marchywka
On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 07:30:06PM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 02 May 2019  at 18:22, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)
>
> >Thanks, it will take me a while to look into all of this. As to speed,
> >I really got excited playing with USB 3.0 but as you say having a stick
> >that boots anywhere is nice even if it is a bit slow. Most of the data
> >I have would fit on one flash drive and that is more portable than
> >the computer- although it need not run on an 6800 motorola processor :)
>
> >When startup disk creator on Ubuntu 11 failed, I ultimately could make what I
> >wanted by hand- in essence installed it on the flash drive by extracting all
> >the files from the ISO and putting on an ext3 partition with syslinux and a
> >small FAT partition. AFAICT the startup creators put an ISO fS designed for
> >CD's ( read only ) on a partition labelled as vfat. My flash drive with the
> >home made install does not have the ISO or Joliet partition ( or whatever it
> >is actually called).
>
> I know the feeling I had  a similar problem getting a live Win7 to work, but
> Ubuntu (apart form 19.04) has played nice with most of the USB Creater apps
> (not YUMI) as you seem to be aiming at Beaver I would beg/borrow/steal a
> Windowz box and give LinuxLive a go

I'm not sure why this should be so difficult if they just keep making
the Ubuntu images- if that much is a canned process I'm not sure
why it is any harder to handoff to  ext3 right away.

> http://www.linuxliveusb.com/downloads/?stable
>
> I found 510mb enough for a few tools and cfg stuff
>
> >The Beaver iso and Ubuntu 14 start up creator worked well on both Dells but have not
> >tried it on emachines yet.
>
> >In theory the UEFI process should be easy to accomplish especially if the source
> >for the efi files is around some where. I just have not gotten it to work
> >yet.

Re: 19.04 Live

ubuntu-users mailing list
02 May 2019  at 20:49, Mike Marchywka wrote:
Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)

Hi

Found and testing now (with 19.04 Disco Dingo)

https://askubuntu.com/questions/772744/how-to-make-a-live-usb-persistent#815493

it uses native mkusb to Ubuntu, it doe smake a good bootable USB and has
persistance :->)

It add a new start (grub?) menu to choose what to boot, not tested all yet, but
I have saved my settings and rebooted and it's all as I set it

>I'm not sure why this should be so difficult if they just keep making
>the Ubuntu images- if that much is a canned process I'm not sure
>why it is any harder to handoff to  ext3 right away.

Re: 19.04 Live

Mike Marchywka
On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 08:55:03AM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 01 May 2019  at 22:10, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Re: 19.04 Live (at least in part)
>
> >I got started with 'Beaver using the startup CD creator on IIRC Ubuntu 11
> >which was not guaranteed to work and sure enough it failed on the old
> >emachines but I finally got syslinux to work after hacking up the iso. The
> >Ubuntu 16 startup creator works fine iwht 'Beavver ISO on the Dell UEFI have
> >not tested on emachines bios. However, AFAICT the stuff is all on an ISO file
> >system which is not read-write and I'd like to avoid that as I did with the
> >syslinux version.
>
> Having tested (and still testing) with
> LinuxLive2.9.4
> Rufus-2.9
> Rufus-3.4
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.6
> USB-Installer-1.9.8.7
> Win32DiskImager-0.9.5
> Win32DiskImager-1.0.0
> YUMI-2.0.6.5
> And native "Create Startup Media" in Ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04
>
> I find that the "best" option changes for each release, it does help that I
> have Windowz, Ubuntu, PuppyLinux & Elementry boxes to test with.
>
> Your definition of "Best" choice may very depending on what you want/need, I
> have managed to get a good outcome with all above except Yumi, no version of
> that has made a bootable USB with any Ubuntu (or other iso for that matter)
> version, it always hangs at a BusyBox prompt.

I finally just put grub on the ssd ( usb 3 ) and rebooted and it dropped
into the grub menu so I think I can get that to work with
my prior extracted Beaver files that worked with syslinux.
I was reluctant to do that as grub-install cleverly reverts
to the hard disk if anything is wrong in the command line
and sure enough it did that but I did not sudo it. IS there
any reason for this or can I make my own grub-install that will not
even open the HD under any circumstances?

When the verbose mode as non-root did not mention the hd
I sudo'ed and it seems ok.

The UUID thing is nice though as it should make it harder to get the
disks mixed up later.

fwiw, my imap downloader appears to more or less work. I never found
one that anyone liked and I could interface to libetpan pretty easily.
Is there an easy way to get neomutt to download 1000's of messages?
I just downloaded into mbox format and verified neomutt could read
the thing but basically I just want to archive so I am not
stuck with any particular email provider. It seems to work with
hotmail,yahoo, and gmail.
It was probably a big diversion writing a mail downloader as
something should exist or it could be done in neomutt but
I did verify my new file layout and dev tools work  :)

> USB-Installer was my goto installer for a long time because it just worked,
> gave a working option to add persistent storage, but at some point around
> 1.9.6.x the persistant option stopped working (you could add it but then it
> would not boot), later versions still have value as they support a large amount
> of iso's
>
> Rufus has always worked well but has no Persistant option
>
> LinuxLive (a bit flashy) but until the latest Ubuntu (19.04) has worked well
> giving a reliable persistant option, but has not seen an update for a few years
> (2015 iirc) that may explain why I cant get it to make a bootable persistant
> USB
>
> Create Startup Media (native) has always worked well but again has no
> persistant option (TTBOMK) it has worked forward (14.04 will make a 16.04 or
> 18.04 USB), I have even managed a few non-Ubuntu USB's with it
>
> >I just thought if there was a link to documentation  I could start from
> >scratch, copy everything to a hand partitioned SSD and go with that.
>
> No need, making a good working bootable USB is not hard.
>
> If you want a portable (non-live) install of Ubuntu it is possible to install
> to an external USB, but that requires a bit of fiddling [1] if you want to boot
> from "ANY"  machine, it works very well, I carry a working 16.04.6 with all the
> tools you never knew you needed "until you do"
>
> The only downside(s) to that are USB speeds across different boxes, also I
> would have to fiddle more if I wished to but it on a number of MAC boxes, it
> can be done (I have done it for a client) but as I don't have a MAC to test
> each time and don't "need" it I just keep the instructions (and a few *.sh
> scripts to help)
>
> [1] the external USB HD will work fine (maybe slowly) on the machine you
> installed it from, but you will need to add the grub boot loader to it, I know
> it should be there if you followed the directions on many AskUbuntu threads,
> but IME, you need to do it yourself to make it portable

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth