19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
I have just tried to upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04, but encountered two
problems.

The more serious one was that linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic could not be
installed. I got an error message that said:-
   triggers looping, abandoned
and it suggested filing an error report.

The upgrade was aborted and a recovery was run (dpkg -configure
-a).This has left me with my old kernel.

My immediate question now is, is it OK to reboot and run all the new
upgraded software with the old kernel? Or would I be better off trying
a completely new installation? If I did this, is it likely I would
encounter the same error during the installation? Would I be better off
re-installing 18.10?

The other error was with spamassassin.  This is a bit odd since I don't
consciously use it, but it may have been installed at some point along
with other claws-mail plugins.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 03:55:41PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:

> I have just tried to upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04, but encountered two
> problems.
>
> The more serious one was that linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic could not be
> installed. I got an error message that said:-
>    triggers looping, abandoned
> and it suggested filing an error report.
>
> The upgrade was aborted and a recovery was run (dpkg -configure
> -a).This has left me with my old kernel.
>
> My immediate question now is, is it OK to reboot and run all the new
> upgraded software with the old kernel? Or would I be better off trying
> a completely new installation? If I did this, is it likely I would
> encounter the same error during the installation? Would I be better off
> re-installing 18.10?

Rebooting is fine.  You certainly do not need to reinstall.  You can
probably recover by repeating the upgrade of just
linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic (i.e. "apt install
linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic"), and then continuing with anything else
that wasn't upgraded ("apt full-upgrade"); if that fails then post the
full transcript.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:11:09 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rebooting is fine.  You certainly do not need to reinstall.  You can
> probably recover by repeating the upgrade of just
> linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic (i.e. "apt install
> linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic"), and then continuing with anything else
> that wasn't upgraded ("apt full-upgrade"); if that fails then post the
> full transcript.

Thanks, doing "apt install linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic" gives:

linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic is already the newest version
(5.0.0-13.14).
linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic set to manually installed.

while the upgrade program said that it may
not be in a working state

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 04:30:39PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:11:09 +0100
> Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rebooting is fine.  You certainly do not need to reinstall.  You can
> > probably recover by repeating the upgrade of just
> > linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic (i.e. "apt install
> > linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic"), and then continuing with anything else
> > that wasn't upgraded ("apt full-upgrade"); if that fails then post the
> > full transcript.
>
> Thanks, doing "apt install linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic" gives:
>
> linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic is already the newest version
> (5.0.0-13.14).
> linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic set to manually installed.

OK, you should now do "sudo apt-mark auto linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic"
to avoid it being permanently marked as manually installed (which would
mean it will never get autoremoved even after newer kernels are
installed).

> while the upgrade program said that it may not be in a working state

Since it was a trigger-related problem, it may actually have been
resolved as part of the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" that you did.  I
would suggest repeating "sudo dpkg --configure -a", "sudo apt -f
install", and "sudo apt full-upgrade", resolving any errors you
encounter along the way, until you reach a steady state where none of
them do anything.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
Incidentally, I think this is probably
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1825211.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 22:36:52 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, you should now do "sudo apt-mark auto
> linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic" to avoid it being permanently marked as
> manually installed (which would mean it will never get autoremoved
> even after newer kernels are installed).
>
> > while the upgrade program said that it may not be in a working
> > state
>
> Since it was a trigger-related problem, it may actually have been
> resolved as part of the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" that you did.  I
> would suggest repeating "sudo dpkg --configure -a", "sudo apt -f
> install", and "sudo apt full-upgrade", resolving any errors you
> encounter along the way, until you reach a steady state where none of
> them do anything.

Thanks.

sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
command?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:25:39 +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
>sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
>command?

Yes, it is correct [1], also when using apt-get [2]. It might have
changed for a newer release of apt, but for apt 1.2.31 (amd64) provided
by Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, apt doesn't display a "help list", if you type
something wrong [3], [4].

[1]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f install
[sudo] password for weremouse:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

[2]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

[3]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f installl
E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not understood in combination
with the other options.

[4]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt --foo install
E: Command line option --foo is not understood in combination with the
other options

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:00:14 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:25:39 +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> >sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> >command?
>
> Yes, it is correct [1], also when using apt-get [2]. It might have
> changed for a newer release of apt, but for apt 1.2.31 (amd64)
> provided by Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, apt doesn't display a "help list", if
> you type something wrong [3], [4].
>
> [1]
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f install
> [sudo] password for weremouse:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>
> [2]
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>
> [3]
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f installl
> E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not understood in combination
> with the other options.
>
> [4]
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt --foo install
> E: Command line option --foo is not understood in combination with the
> other options

Thanks. But I don't get the output that you show. Only the usage and
help list. Apt seems to be ver 1.8.0

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

PS:

The latest provided manual page by manpages.ubuntu.com is for 18.10.
There is no man page available for 19.04.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/cosmic/man8/apt.8.html

For "install, remove, purge" it refers to "apt-get(8)".

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/cosmic/man8/apt-get.8.html

"-f, --fix-broken
           Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in
           place. This option, when used with install/remove, can"...

It's possible that the apt 1.8.0 package for 19.04 replaced fix-broken
for apt by a new option. The apt package for 18.10 is at version 1.7.4.
However, apt-get for sure does still work as always.

Try

  sudo apt-get -f install

Regards,
Ralf

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 09:25:39AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> command?

I've tested this on 19.04 and it works for me.  Please post a full
unedited transcript of the output, including the command you typed.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 26.04.2019, 11:00 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
ubuntu-users:

> [3]
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f installl
> E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not understood in combination
> with the other options.

it might help to not write install with triple "l" ;)

(that command (without typo) definitely works on my 16.04 and 18.04
installs here)

ciao
        oli

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 2019-04-26 at 12:05 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 26.04.2019, 11:00 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
> ubuntu-users:
> >
> > [3]
> > [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f installl
> > E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not understood in combination
> > with the other options.
> >
> it might help to not write install with triple "l" ;)
>
> (that command (without typo) definitely works on my 16.04 and 18.04
> installs here)

Please re-read my original email. The typo is intended:

"for apt 1.2.31 (amd64) provided by Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, apt doesn't
display a "help list", if you type something wrong [3], [4]."

Rephrased: At least for this older version of apt, you don not get a
"help list", even not if you type an incorrect command.

My first example for good reasons is without a typo:

"[1]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt -f install
[sudo] password for weremouse:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

However, Colin is the only one who actually tested with 19.04.
"sudo apt -f install" without typo should still work as usual.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:42:33 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 09:25:39AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> > command?
>
> I've tested this on 19.04 and it works for me.  Please post a full
> unedited transcript of the output, including the command you typed.

~/>sudo apt -f install
apt
Usage: apt command [options]
       apt help command [options]

Commands:
autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files
autoremove - Remove automatically all unused packages
build     - Build binary or source packages from sources
build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages
changelog - View a package's changelog
check     - Verify that there are no broken dependencies
clean     - Erase downloaded archive files
contains   - List packages containing a file
content   - List files contained in a package
deb       - Install a .deb package
depends   - Show raw dependency information for a package
dist-upgrade - Perform an upgrade, possibly installing and
removing packages download   - Download the .deb file for a
package dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect selections
held - List all held packages
help     - Show help for a command
hold - Hold a package
install   - Install/upgrade packages
policy   - Show policy settings
purge     - Remove packages and their configuration files
rdepends - Show reverse dependency information for a package
reinstall - Download and (possibly) reinstall a currently
installed package remove   - Remove packages
search   - Search for a package by name and/or expression
show     - Display detailed information about a package
source   - Download source archives
sources   - Edit /etc/apt/sources.list with nano
unhold - Unhold a package
update   - Download lists of new/upgradable packages
upgrade   - Perform a safe upgrade
version   - Show the installed version of a package
                        This apt has Super Cow Powers

--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 10:28, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> command?

I thought it was:

# apt install -f

The position of switches can be important, yes.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 01:18:00PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 10:28, Richard Kimber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> > command?
>
> I thought it was:
>
> # apt install -f
>
> The position of switches can be important, yes.

Both work in 19.04.

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:54:48AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:42:33 +0100
> Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 09:25:39AM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > > sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> > > command?
> >
> > I've tested this on 19.04 and it works for me.  Please post a full
> > unedited transcript of the output, including the command you typed.
> >

> ~/>sudo apt -f install
> apt
> Usage: apt command [options]
>        apt help command [options]

This doesn't look like either 18.10's or 19.04's version of apt.  Do you
perhaps have some kind of wrapper or local build or something?  What do
the following commands say?

  sudo which apt
  dpkg -S "$(sudo which apt)"
  dpkg-query -W apt

(Yes, I do mean "sudo which" rather than just "which", even though
that's not normally necessary - I want to see the path lookup result
under sudo.)

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:18:00 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 10:28, Richard Kimber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > sudo apt -f install just gives a help list - is this the correct
> > command?
>
> I thought it was:
>
> # apt install -f
>
> The position of switches can be important, yes.

sudo  apt install -f worked, but

sudo apt full-upgrade
again just produced the help:-

~/>sudo apt full-upgrade
[...]

Should it be sudo apt dist-upgrade?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: 19.04 upgrade problems

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:11:40 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This doesn't look like either 18.10's or 19.04's version of apt.  Do
> you perhaps have some kind of wrapper or local build or something?
> What do the following commands say?
>
>   sudo which apt
>   dpkg -S "$(sudo which apt)"
>   dpkg-query -W apt
>
> (Yes, I do mean "sudo which" rather than just "which", even though
> that's not normally necessary - I want to see the path lookup result
> under sudo.)

Aha.

Although I personally have never done anything to apt (I'm too
cautious and lacking in knowledge), it seems that there was a version
in /usr/local/bin.  I've no idea how it got there, and have deleted it.

I've now got your two commands "sudo apt -f install", and "sudo apt
full-upgrade" to complete correctly.  I assume I now have a proper
installation of 19.04.

Many thanks for your patience.

- Richard.
--