20.10 wants an EFI system partition even on a BIOS system

20.10 wants an EFI system partition even on a BIOS system

Liam Proven
I've logged this as bug #1915152:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1915152

Installing both Ubuntu Unity and Xubuntu 20.10 on my Thinkpad W500
complain that they cannot find the EFI system partition. This is
because there isn't one, and that is because this is not a UEFI
computer; it is from 2008 (!).

Anyone else seen this? If so, please add your experience to the bug,
as well as telling me. I guess BIOS systems are going away now but
this seems a quite serious issue.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: 20.10 wants an EFI system partition even on a BIOS system

Bret Busby
On 13/2/21 5:10 am, Liam Proven wrote:

> I've logged this as bug #1915152:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1915152
>
> Installing both Ubuntu Unity and Xubuntu 20.10 on my Thinkpad W500
> complain that they cannot find the EFI system partition. This is
> because there isn't one, and that is because this is not a UEFI
> computer; it is from 2008 (!).
>
> Anyone else seen this? If so, please add your experience to the bug,
> as well as telling me. I guess BIOS systems are going away now but
> this seems a quite serious issue.

I do not know whether this is of any use to you, but I believe that, on
two of my computers, the installations of 20.10 are in the BIOS sector(?).

This was achieved (not deliberately) by having installed an earlier
version, and progressive upgraded the versions, starting at something
like 18.x, then through 19.x, then 20.04, then 20.10, I think.

One of the two computers has UEFI and BIOS - it was originally (and
still has on it) MS Windows 8, and the other is BIOS only - it
originally had, and, still has, MS Windows 7 (I haven't upgraded the MS
Windows's, as I do not use MS Windows, for anything, anymore, and, I
forgot the MS Win 8 password, rendering it unusable (although, I found
MS Win 8 to be too dificult to use, making it unusable, anyway) ). I
believe that MS Win 7 is before UEFI.

So, I wonder whether, as a workaround, you could install an earlier
version of Ubuntu, using the BIOS system of installation, and, perform a
version upgrade to 20.10, and, whether that would work for you.

I am running UbuntuMATE on all of my systems, and, on the system that I
believe is running 20.10 in the BIOS sector, at bootup, in GRUB, it
shows the still existent 16.04 installation, which I have now
(regrettably) ceased using, as its EOL is due in two months. My
understanding (and, I accept that I may be wrong in this) is that, on a
system that has both UEFI and BIOS, when booting into UEFI, only the
operating systems bootable in UEFI, are displayed in the GRUB menu, and,
in booting in to BIOS, only the operating systems that were installed
using the BIOS, are displayed in the GRUB menu. As I said, I accept that
I may be wrong, in this understanding - there are far more knowledgeable
people than me, about this.

--
Bret Busby
UArmadale

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 at 23:29, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not know whether this is of any use to you, but I believe that, on
> two of my computers, the installations of 20.10 are in the BIOS sector(?).

Currently, almost all x86 PCs still support BIOS emulation, BIOS-style
MBR disks and booting from GRUB in the boot sector, traditional/legacy
BIOS-style.

There is or was a plan for this to end, though:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-were-ending-all-legacy-bios-support-by-2020/

> So, I wonder whether, as a workaround, you could install an earlier
> version of Ubuntu, using the BIOS system of installation, and, perform a
> version upgrade to 20.10, and, whether that would work for you.

Yes, that would almost certainly work.

The issue is that Ubuntu Unity is very new, and its developer is still
refining it. His name is Rudra B. Saraswat and he was only 10 years
old when he started, so I am prepared to cut him a lot of slack! He
advised people not to upgrade but to reinstall, as he has removed some
components and the result would be a smaller, cleaner system.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]