3g/4g dongles known to work well with Ubuntu?

3g/4g dongles known to work well with Ubuntu?

Chris Green
Do 3G/4G dongles 'just work' with Linux nowadays or are there some
brands to avoid and others to prefer?

I need one that will work well with a headless system where I don't
have access all the time. So, once configured, I want it to connect
without any interaction when the system is [re]started.

--
Chris Green

Re: 3g/4g dongles known to work well with Ubuntu?

Peter Flynn
On 27/12/2020 17:02, Chris Green wrote:
> Do 3G/4G dongles 'just work' with Linux nowadays or are there some
> brands to avoid and others to prefer?
>
> I need one that will work well with a headless system where I don't
> have access all the time. So, once configured, I want it to connect
> without any interaction when the system is [re]started.

I think it depends on how good the hardware support is, and whether the
network-detection software (Network-Manager?) is smart enough to handle
it all by itself.

I don't have a 3G/4G dongle but I do have a wifi USB dongle, and Mint 20
on a HP Optiplex 745 does NOT detect the presence of my wifi network at
boot time. Once it's booted, you can pull out the USB and stick it in
again, and it immediately detects wifi and connects to it. But I don't
know if this is because NM is looking in the wrong place, or because
whatever USB-detection software is used doesn't detect it early enough
for NM to see it (ie a timing problem).

Peter

Re: 3g/4g dongles known to work well with Ubuntu?

Shamim Shahriar

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 23:02, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/12/2020 17:02, Chris Green wrote:
> Do 3G/4G dongles 'just work' with Linux nowadays or are there some
> brands to avoid and others to prefer?
>
> I need one that will work well with a headless system where I don't
> have access all the time. So, once configured, I want it to connect
> without any interaction when the system is [re]started.

I think it depends on how good the hardware support is, and whether the
network-detection software (Network-Manager?) is smart enough to handle
it all by itself.

I don't have a 3G/4G dongle but I do have a wifi USB dongle, and Mint 20
on a HP Optiplex 745 does NOT detect the presence of my wifi network at
boot time. Once it's booted, you can pull out the USB and stick it in
again, and it immediately detects wifi and connects to it. But I don't
know if this is because NM is looking in the wrong place, or because
whatever USB-detection software is used doesn't detect it early enough
for NM to see it (ie a timing problem).

Peter

My personal preference is to use independent 3G/4G dongles -- which does not rely on the main machine. That way it is easier to diagnose, dialing is handled by the device itself (freeing up the main server from the nitty-gritty of matters), and if something goes wrong, I can simply swap the device with a different one without having to touch my primary systems.

and I have heard good things about devices (from real users) like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pre-installed-Included/dp/B07712LKJM/ (a friend uses this every time he is traveling, and he needs really good bandwidth for VoIP)

All of the above, to my knowledge, "Just Works (TM)". I have not heard anything bad about any of the above from the users I know. The beauty of the most of the above are they have independent power as well (not relying on internal battery to die out)

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 08:22:09AM +0000, Shamim Shahriar wrote:

>    My personal preference is to use independent 3G/4G dongles -- which
>    does not rely on the main machine. That way it is easier to diagnose,
>    dialing is handled by the device itself (freeing up the main server
>    from the nitty-gritty of matters), and if something goes wrong, I can
>    simply swap the device with a different one without having to touch my
>    primary systems.
>    I have had very good results with devices like
>    [2]https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/
>    LB2120.aspx

That's a good idea, no timing issues vis-a-vis the computer connected
to it as it provides a straightforward ethernet/RJ45.  It requires a
12 volt power supply too which is handy for me on the boat.  Quite
expensive though at around £100.

>    and I have heard good things about devices (from real users) like
>    [3]https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Portable-Support-Configuration-Requ
>    ired/dp/B00634PLTW/ (this one needs an external USB dongle)

External dongle is always a *bit* risky, as regards compatibility etc.
It's much cheaper though.

>    [4]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-B535-232-External-Antennas-Worldwi
>    de/dp/B07ZFSX8LB/

Ooh, expensive, £120 for a refurbished one.

>    [5]https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pre-installed-Incl
>    uded/dp/B07712LKJM/ (a friend uses this every time he is traveling, and
>    he needs really good bandwidth for VoIP)

Ah, now that looks good, among other things it runs Openwrt (i.e. an
accessible Linux) and it's only £42.

>    All of the above, to my knowledge, "Just Works (TM)". I have not heard
>    anything bad about any of the above from the users I know. The beauty
>    of the most of the above are they have independent power as well (not
>    relying on internal battery to die out)
>    Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you very much for all the above.  Running off external
power is necessary for my use of course because it's going to have to
run for months at a time without any interaction.  (The boat has *big*
12 volt batteries and solar panels so is basically self sufficient)

--
Chris Green

Re: 3g/4g dongles known to work well with Ubuntu?

Chris Green
> >    [5]https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pre-installed-Incl
> >    uded/dp/B07712LKJM/ (a friend uses this every time he is traveling, and
> >    he needs really good bandwidth for VoIP)
>
> Ah, now that looks good, among other things it runs Openwrt (i.e. an
> accessible Linux) and it's only £42.

But it's not 3G/4G, it's just a WiFi device.

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 10:01, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    [5]https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pre-installed-Incl
> >    uded/dp/B07712LKJM/ (a friend uses this every time he is traveling, and
> >    he needs really good bandwidth for VoIP)
>
> Ah, now that looks good, among other things it runs Openwrt (i.e. an
> accessible Linux) and it's only £42.

But it's not 3G/4G, it's just a WiFi device.

--
Chris Green

Regarding the dongle -- they also "just work" in these devices. If you google a bit, it will tell you which dongle is compatible. The last device -- i might have put the wrong link, but if you search for that company/device, you will find suitable solution below £100. You will need a dongle, but that dongle will be handled by the device, and you will not need to worry about it. In my experience, they come with a good number of provider -- like EE, Orange, many other "non-UK" listed, and you just choose the provider. The software / dongle combo does the rest.

Hope that helps
Regards