$5 Computer

Alan Lord (News)
Slightly OT but I thought it interesting in case anyone missed the
announcement this morning:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Re: $5 Computer

Colin Law
On 26 November 2015 at 13:17, Alan Lord <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Slightly OT but I thought it interesting in case anyone missed the
> announcement this morning:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

That's outrageous.  Free computer with magazine indeed.  What is the
world coming to?

Colin

Re: $5 Computer

Simon Greenwood

On 26 November 2015 at 13:28, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26 November 2015 at 13:17, Alan Lord <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Slightly OT but I thought it interesting in case anyone missed the
> announcement this morning:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

That's outrageous.  Free computer with magazine indeed.  What is the
world coming to?

​And we used to get excited about free CDs...

​s/​

Re: $5 Computer

Alan Pope-2
On 26 November 2015 at 13:49, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And we used to get excited about free CDs...

I remember my brother getting music magazines with promo plastic
records on the front :)

Cheers,
Al.

Re: $5 Computer

Alan Lord (News)
On 26/11/15 14:03, Alan Pope wrote:

> I remember my brother getting music magazines with promo plastic
> records on the front :)

lol - *I* remember getting those bendy 45s on the front of magazines...

Al

Re: $5 Computer

Simon Greenwood

On 26 November 2015 at 14:31, Alan Lord <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26/11/15 14:03, Alan Pope wrote:

I remember my brother getting music magazines with promo plastic
records on the front :)

lol - *I* remember getting those bendy 45s on the front of magazines...

Me too - I still have a few in my singles case​. Getting a record player set up is scheduled for some time next year...

​s​/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Re: $5 Computer

alan c-2
On 26/11/15 14:46, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> On 26 November 2015 at 14:31, Alan Lord <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 26/11/15 14:03, Alan Pope wrote:
>>

>>> I remember my brother getting music magazines with promo plastic
>>> records on the front :)
>>>

>> lol - *I* remember getting those bendy 45s on the front of magazines...
>>
>> ​
> Me too - I still have a few in my singles case​. Getting a record player
> set up is scheduled for some time next year...
>
> ​s​/

LOL LOL
My first job needed a slide rule use a LOT... One day I needed to calc
a large number of square roots. Went to a special large room
(cupboard)  with only a table chair and a 10-digit nixie tube display
mans powered calculator. Later on that day I went back to the shop
floor where we made valves. (Valves are glass things like old light
bulbs, only they had lots of stuff inside and lots of plug in
connecting pins). Said hello to the glass blowers, and skirted around
the mercury vacuum pumps, to get to my desk...

Ah! Those were the days! #computing

NB a slide rule is a special little stick with markings along it. Good
for lots of uses including I suppose building the pyramids.

Bye all
;-)

--
alan cocks

Re: $5 Computer

Colin Law
On 27 November 2015 at 16:02, alan c <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/11/15 14:46, Simon Greenwood wrote:

>>> lol - *I* remember getting those bendy 45s on the front of magazines...
>>>
>>> ​
>> Me too - I still have a few in my singles case​. Getting a record player
>> set up is scheduled for some time next year...
>>
>> ​s​/
>>

> LOL LOL
> My first job needed a slide rule use a LOT... One day I needed to calc
> a large number of square roots. Went to a special large room
> (cupboard)  with only a table chair and a 10-digit nixie tube display
> mans powered calculator. Later on that day I went back to the shop
> floor where we made valves. (Valves are glass things like old light
> bulbs, only they had lots of stuff inside and lots of plug in
> connecting pins). Said hello to the glass blowers, and skirted around
> the mercury vacuum pumps, to get to my desk...
>
> Ah! Those were the days! #computing
>
> NB a slide rule is a special little stick with markings along it. Good
> for lots of uses including I suppose building the pyramids.

Have you still got yours Alan?  I have mine.  A classy Thornton's
plastic model.  My brother had a wooden one, mine was much smoother in
operation, most superior.  If you only need three digits precision it
can be almost as fast as a calculator and it forces you to think what
the numbers mean in a way you don't with a calculator.  Much easier to
make a stupid mistake on a calculator and never notice as you don't
get an intuitive feel for the numbers in the same way.

Colin

Re: $5 Computer

alan c-2
On 27/11/15 16:17, Colin Law wrote:

> On 27 November 2015 at 16:02, alan c <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Me too - I still have a few in my singles case​. Getting a record player
>>> set up is scheduled for some time next year...
>>>
>>> ​s​/
>>>

>> LOL LOL
>> My first job needed a slide rule use a LOT... One day I needed to calc
>> a large number of square roots. Went to a special large room
>> (cupboard)  with only a table chair and a 10-digit nixie tube display
>> mans powered calculator. Later on that day I went back to the shop
>> floor where we made valves. (Valves are glass things like old light
>> bulbs, only they had lots of stuff inside and lots of plug in
>> connecting pins). Said hello to the glass blowers, and skirted around
>> the mercury vacuum pumps, to get to my desk...
>>
>> Ah! Those were the days! #computing
>>
>> NB a slide rule is a special little stick with markings along it. Good
>> for lots of uses including I suppose building the pyramids.
>
> Have you still got yours Alan?  I have mine.  A classy Thornton's
> plastic model.  My brother had a wooden one, mine was much smoother in
> operation, most superior.  If you only need three digits precision it
> can be almost as fast as a calculator and it forces you to think what
> the numbers mean in a way you don't with a calculator.  Much easier to
> make a stupid mistake on a calculator and never notice as you don't
> get an intuitive feel for the numbers in the same way.
>
> Colin

Hey yes. A mini slick plastic jobby in a swish leather case, (mobile),
for the top pocket, along with several pens :-) and the desktop model
wood and plastic faces a foot long (That I never fully fathomed out
all it functions LOL). This one is robust. On the last day of college
I accidentally drove my banger (car) back over it, squashing the outer
case. Probably improved it... :-)

Ahhh those were thay days....

--
alan cocks