A Problem With GIMP

Bill Vance

Using kubuntu 16.04.

When trying to use GIMP, there are little text windows that
appear to identify what various symbols, and some drop down
menu items are.  Unfortunately, the text, and the background
colors are so close, if not identical, that they can't be
read.

Oh, and before I forget, the kpatience solitare game will
download various card designs, but won't let you use them.

Bill

Re: A Problem With GIMP

Nils Kassube-2
Bill Vance wrote:
> Using kubuntu 16.04.
>
> When trying to use GIMP, there are little text windows that
> appear to identify what various symbols, and some drop down
> menu items are.  Unfortunately, the text, and the background
> colors are so close, if not identical, that they can't be
> read.

Some time ago I found a solution to a similar question:
Start systemsettings, go to "Application Appearence" -> "GTK". Change
the selection for GTK3 Theme from oxygen-gtk to something else and click
the "Apply" button.

I'm not sure if that helps in your case as well because that was for
14.04. I don't have a 16.04 system to try it there.

Nils

Re: A Problem With GIMP

Bill Vance

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Bill Vance wrote:
>> Using kubuntu 16.04.
>>
>> When trying to use GIMP, there are little text windows that
>> appear to identify what various symbols, and some drop down
>> menu items are.  Unfortunately, the text, and the background
>> colors are so close, if not identical, that they can't be
>> read.
>
> Some time ago I found a solution to a similar question:
> Start systemsettings, go to "Application Appearence" -> "GTK". Change
> the selection for GTK3 Theme from oxygen-gtk to something else and click
> the "Apply" button.
>
> I'm not sure if that helps in your case as well because that was for
> 14.04. I don't have a 16.04 system to try it there.
>
> Nils

Thanks.

In 16.04 it's Application Style -> GNOME Application Style (GTK).

I had to play with it for a while, but It eventually started working.
In, "GTK Themes", I selected, the GTK2 theme, "oxygen-gtk", and in
GTK3, "Default".  Below that in Icon Themes, a Fallback Theme of,
"GNOME".  I'm not sure which of the three, or combo  did the trick,
but it's now working properly.

Now if only I could get a deck of cards that wasn't designed by
an insect with 1000 lens eyes.  :-)

Bill