A better flabour?

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?

I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
make to give him a Ubuntu system

I've done Live USB's (with & without persistance) run on both Mac & Wondowz
hardware

I managed an External HD install of 16.04.2  that ran from his AirBook

Then duel boot Win10 / Trusty

All have been destroyed & re installed more than I care to remember

My own Systems have been (for the most part) solid, my best, an old (32 bit)
12.04 that has been uped thru 14.04 and 16.04 to 18.04 (yes 18.04 does seem to
work even here on 32bit)

So what is to be done ;->)

Re: A better flabour?

Colin Law
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 13:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?
>
> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
> make to give him a Ubuntu system

What is he doing that destroys them?
If he has a Windows system does he destroy that?

Colin

Re: A better flabour?

Nils Kassube-2
Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?
>
> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever
> effort I make to give him a Ubuntu system

> So what is to be done ;->)

I don't know - to me it looks like your friend doesn't really want to
run Linux / Ubuntu. If that is true, refrain from further experiments
because it is only a waste of time.

Nils

Re: A better flabour?

Wade Smart-2
I started with 14.04 with my parents. I put the icons on the desktop
for Email (link to online email) Web, Documents. That is all they
wanted to do. I think I agree with the others: you friend is either
doing something on purpose, doenst want it , or is doing something
and not telling you.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: A better flabour?

03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 13:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?
>>
>> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
>> make to give him a Ubuntu system
>
>What is he doing that destroys them?

I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
display bug, that has so far not been addressed?

>If he has a Windows system does he destroy that?

Oddly, not so much, which in itself is odd as he is an "Apple Man"

Re: A better flabour?

03 September 2018  at 15:12, Nils Kassube wrote:
Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?

>> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever
>> effort I make to give him a Ubuntu system

>> So what is to be done ;->)

>I don't know - to me it looks like your friend doesn't really want to
>run Linux / Ubuntu. If that is true, refrain from further experiments
>because it is only a waste of time.

He only uses it (AFAIAA) to read and write to/from external disks in various
formats, form Apple, Windowz (and of cause Linux)

Apple && || Windowz. can read some other formats but (AFAIK) Only Linux can
read / write, to / from both?

As an Apple lover he is more relient on GUI than most ;-<) even though most
Ubuntu terminal commands are just as valid on an Apple

Re: A better flabour?

Colin Law
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 16:29, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)
>
> >On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 13:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
> >> make to give him a Ubuntu system
> >
> >What is he doing that destroys them?
>
> I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
> display bug, that has so far not been addressed?

I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.

II have a fairly elderly person I support who is very enthusiastic and
is always 'fiddling' with things.  He regularly looses things off
toolbars and so on that I have to go in and sort, but he has never
done any significant damage to the system.  That is over a period of
about 5 years.

Colin

03 September 2018  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 16:29, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
>> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>> >What is he doing that destroys them?
>>
>> I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
>> display bug, that has so far not been addressed?

>I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
>fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
>inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.

He needs sudo to update, the only non GUI thing he does

Re: A better flabour?

Colin Law
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 17:01, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 03 September 2018  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)
>
> >On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 16:29, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> 03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
> >> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

> >> I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
> >> display bug, that has so far not been addressed?
>
> >I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
> >fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
> >inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.
>
> He needs sudo to update, the only non GUI thing he does

Don't let him upgrade through the terminal for a start.
Set up automatic updates and then he won't have to do anything at all.
On the odd occasions when something sudo is necessary then ssh in and
do it for him.

Colin

Re: A better flabour?

ubuntu-users mailing list
03 September 2018  at 17:08, Colin Law wrote:
Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 17:01, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 03 September 2018  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
>> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

>> >I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
>> >fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
>> >inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.
>>
>> He needs sudo to update, the only non GUI thing he does
>
>Don't let him upgrade through the terminal for a start.
>Set up automatic updates and then he won't have to do anything at all.
>On the odd occasions when something sudo is necessary then ssh in and
>do it for him.

Tried, Automatic updates are set, but (for some reason) don't kick in during
the short time he has it turned on,

Side note, he is not seeing the 18.04 update dialogue even while machine is on
for an extended period (like while doing dist-upgrade)

Re: A better flabour?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 3 Sep 2018 16:46:57 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 16:29, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
> > Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

> > >What is he doing that destroys them?
> >
> > I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
> > display bug, that has so far not been addressed?
>
> I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
> fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
> inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.

The Power switch can "trash" the system -- cutting the power *can* cause disk
problems, but these can *usually* be fixed with a manual fsck.

It also depends on what *exactly* is meant by "destroy the system".  Getting
to the point of being stuck in Busybox when booting can be easy -- as
mentioned above an ill-timed power cycling can "damage" the filesystem to the
point of requiring a manual fsck.  A novice user might think the system has
been destroyed (doesn't boot and only spits out "gibberish": "/dev/sda1 has
file system errors, please run fsck manually to fix."

> II have a fairly elderly person I support who is very enthusiastic and
> is always 'fiddling' with things.  He regularly looses things off
> toolbars and so on that I have to go in and sort, but he has never
> done any significant damage to the system.  That is over a period of
> about 5 years.
>
> Colin
>

> > >If he has a Windows system does he destroy that?
> >
> > Oddly, not so much, which in itself is odd as he is an "Apple Man"
> >
> > --

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: A better flabour?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 03 Sep 2018 16:59:52 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 03 September 2018  at 16:46, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)
>
> >On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 16:29, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> 03 September 2018  at 14:05, Colin Law wrote:
> >> Re: A better flabour? (at least in part)

> >> I don't know, wish I did, the latest "Could" be something to do with a "Known"
> >> display bug, that has so far not been addressed?
>
> >I have never heard of a display bug that could destroy the system. In
> >fact I think it is almost impossible to destroy an Ubuntu system (from
> >inside) if you have not got sudo privileges.
>
> He needs sudo to update, the only non GUI thing he does

Is his sudo *limited* to apt-get or can he run *anything* with sudo.

If he has unlimited sudo access, all it would take is:

sudo rm -rf /*

To pretty much trash the system.

Maybe next time you should limit his sudo access.  "man sudoers"

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

A better flabour?

Rashkae-2
On 2018-09-03 08:55 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?

There's a reason Ipads and now Chromebooks are so popular.

> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
> make to give him a Ubuntu system
>
> I've done Live USB's (with & without persistance) run on both Mac & Wondowz
> hardware

This would be the perfect use case for installing with BTRFS, then
install/configure snapper package (for automatic hourly snapshots).

If the system gets twisted into a knot, just restore to a snapshot from
before the bad thing happened.

BTRFS is under heavy development, and has it's own share of quirks,
occasional bugs, and despite all the built in redundancy, has absolutely
0 tolerance for corruption.. (ie, if the hardware somehow corrupts the
data, the repair utilities most often will be of little help).. so if
you're not familiar with it, I wouldn't trust data to it unless you're
fully prepared to rely on backups.

That being said, Snapshot feature is incredibly powerful and almost
perfect for exactly this situation.  Would be power user can tinker with
packages and config files to their hearts content, and still be able to
undo almost any mistakes.

Re: A better flabour?

Brian-277
On Mon 03 Sep 2018 at 13:55:02 +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Truly are there some people who should not use Ubuntu?

Let them eat cake.

> I have a friend who seems able to kill or at least make unusable ever effort I
> make to give him a Ubuntu system

It's their system. They can do what they want with it. Especially with
root access.

> I've done Live USB's (with & without persistance) run on both Mac & Wondowz
> hardware

Kudos don't come from misspelling. "z"; "s".

> I managed an External HD install of 16.04.2  that ran from his AirBook

Brilliant.

> Then duel boot Win10 / Trusty

Even better.

> All have been destroyed & re installed more than I care to remember

Frustrating. It's having the root access which leads to this.

> My own Systems have been (for the most part) solid, my best, an old (32 bit)
> 12.04 that has been uped thru 14.04 and 16.04 to 18.04 (yes 18.04 does seem to
> work even here on 32bit)
>
> So what is to be done ;->)

Cross him/her off your Christmas card list?

--
Brian.