A good scanner for Ubuntu?

LMcLain
*SIGH*  Lemme try this again, but this time, I will make sure that I change the subject line to something more appropriate.  Here's my question again:

Hi everyone,

  I know that this isn't really a Ubuntu specific question, but it's one I
would like to ask the Ubuntu community because of the quality of answers
that I see every day.

  I am in need of a simple scanner.  I does not have to be a high res photo
scanner or have an auto feed feature.
  If I can find one in the sub-$100 category, that would be great.  I could
go higher, but it has to be less than $200.  And, of course, I need it to be
fully(or as close as possible) Linux compatible.
  I have been looking around on the respecitve sites,(SANE, etc.) and it
seems that most of the fully compatible scanners are older models that are
no longer in production.  I would like the scanner to be current and not
second hand.

I look forward to what you all have to say!

Thanks,
Lee

Re: A good scanner for Ubuntu?

Lorin Pino-2
Lee McLain wrote:

> *SIGH*  Lemme try this again, but this time, I will make sure that I
> change the subject line to something more appropriate.  Here's my
> question again:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
>   I know that this isn't really a Ubuntu specific question, but it's
> one I
> would like to ask the Ubuntu community because of the quality of answers
> that I see every day.
>
>   I am in need of a simple scanner.  I does not have to be a high res
> photo
> scanner or have an auto feed feature.
>   If I can find one in the sub-$100 category, that would be great.  I
> could
> go higher, but it has to be less than $200.  And, of course, I need it
> to be
> fully(or as close as possible) Linux compatible.
>   I have been looking around on the respecitve sites,(SANE, etc.) and it
> seems that most of the fully compatible scanners are older models that are
> no longer in production.  I would like the scanner to be current and not
> second hand.
>
> I look forward to what you all have to say!
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

Have you checked here?
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php/cat/199
The scanners usually have reviews with any issues that had to be solved.
Did you check the wiki?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsScanners?highlight=%28scanner%29
Good luck
~Lorin

Re: A good scanner for Ubuntu?

Jon Drews
On 10/14/06, Lee McLain <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    I am in need of a simple scanner.  I does not have to be a high res photo
> scanner or have an auto feed feature.

Hi:

 Go to the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) site:
http://www.sane-project.org/
and look in Supported devices, for models that work in Linux.

>    If I can find one in the sub-$100 category, that would be great.

Epson has scanners that are usually supported in Linux. To find
inexpensive ones, go to:  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp
and click on the clearance center link, at the right. I have purchased
printers and scanners from them and in general they are in great shape
and work well under Linux.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan

Re: A good scanner for Ubuntu?

albi@scii.nl
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:22:46 -0500
Lorin Pino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >   I am in need of a simple scanner.  I does not have to be a high
> > res photo
> > scanner or have an auto feed feature.
> >   If I can find one in the sub-$100 category, that would be great.
> > I could
> > go higher, but it has to be less than $200.  And, of course, I need
> > it to be
> > fully(or as close as possible) Linux compatible.

the canon Lide 25 is a cheap (60 euros) linux-compatible scanner, works
out of the box on ubuntu dapper

--
grtjs,
albi

Re: A good scanner for Ubuntu?

Tommy Trussell
On 10/14/06, albi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:22:46 -0500
> Lorin Pino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > >   I am in need of a simple scanner.  I does not have to be a high
> > > res photo
> > > scanner or have an auto feed feature.
> > >   If I can find one in the sub-$100 category, that would be great.
> > > I could
> > > go higher, but it has to be less than $200.  And, of course, I need
> > > it to be
> > > fully(or as close as possible) Linux compatible.
>
> the canon Lide 25 is a cheap (60 euros) linux-compatible scanner, works
> out of the box on ubuntu dapper

Don't go by the brand or model name alone. I sought out and bought a
Canon LiDE 20 on eBay and it works fine. The LiDE 20 and 30 models are
very well supported.

BUT be VERY careful because some of the LiDE models are NOT supported
easily in linux. (The insides were made from different vendor's
parts.)

Check the chart at http://www.sane-project.org/ for any specific model
you're considering. If it says "unsupported," avoid it.