ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Manish Chakravarty
Hi all,
The time has come for me to announce that Ebuntu
(Beta) is almost ready
It has
- Ubuntu as the base (non-GUI) system
- E17 has the window manager.
- It's a live cd (based on Ubuntu 5.10 live) ,
installer being actively worked upon

The iso's will be uploaded in 36 hours (more on this
below)

To keep the size of the iso down, i have REMOVED the
following packages.

-OpenOffice
-Evolution

And replaced them by
-Abiword & Gnumeric
-Sylpheed Claws GTK

I have not yet decided on whether to use GDM or
entrance as the login manager.

Help required:
I need some help from the Ubuntu community.
I need 3 things
1) Permission/ space to upload the iso for the EBuntu
live cd
2) Your interest in the project
3) Acceptance/Usage of Ebuntu as an Ubuntu "sister
project"

Regards
Manish

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Dick Davies-2
On 16/02/06, Manish Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> The time has come for me to announce that Ebuntu
> (Beta) is almost ready
> It has
> - Ubuntu as the base (non-GUI) system
> - E17 has the window manager.

Is there somewhere we could just get the .debs? Seems a bit
excessive to release a new distro just for a windowmanager.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Alexander Jacob Tsykin
Dick Davies wrote:

> On 16/02/06, Manish Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> The time has come for me to announce that Ebuntu
>> (Beta) is almost ready
>> It has
>> - Ubuntu as the base (non-GUI) system
>> - E17 has the window manager.
>>

> Is there somewhere we could just get the .debs? Seems a bit
> excessive to release a new distro just for a windowmanager.

Xubuntu?

On 16/02/06, Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dick Davies wrote:
> > On 16/02/06, Manish Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> The time has come for me to announce that Ebuntu

> > Is there somewhere we could just get the .debs? Seems a bit
> > excessive to release a new distro just for a windowmanager.

> Xubuntu?

I know. I think that's insane too. It's really not that much work to change
your window manager, guys.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

john levin-2
Dick Davies wrote:

> On 16/02/06, Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Dick Davies wrote:

>>>Is there somewhere we could just get the .debs? Seems a bit
>>>excessive to release a new distro just for a windowmanager.
>

>>Xubuntu?
>

> I know. I think that's insane too. It's really not that much work to change
> your window manager, guys.

Xubuntu isn't just about having XFCE as your wm; it's also about a
version of Ubuntu that works on lower-spec'd machines, those that
Gnome/KDE is too taxing for.

John

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Gavin Costello
On 16-Feb-2006 10:02, Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> 2) Your interest in the project
---end quoted text---

Hi Manish,

This, for me is great news! I have been using enlightenment for
several years and currently run E17 instead of Gnome, which has become
far too bloated for my liking.

I would love to help in any way I can.

Thanks and regards,

Gavin.
--
Gavin Costello

On 16/02/06, john levin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dick Davies wrote:
> > On 16/02/06, Sasha Tsykin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>Xubuntu?

> > I know. I think that's insane too. It's really not that much work to change
> > your window manager, guys.

> Xubuntu isn't just about having XFCE as your wm; it's also about a
> version of Ubuntu that works on lower-spec'd machines, those that
> Gnome/KDE is too taxing for.

Fair enough, but that's not what the wiki said.
I don't think the same applies to ebuntu though.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Steve Tripp
This is excellent!  I've been using Enlightenment for a while and
definitely like it.

--
Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Manish Chakravarty

> This, for me is great news! I have been using enlightenment for
> several years and currently run E17 instead of Gnome, which has become
> far too bloated for my liking.
Thanks for showing interest in the project
I have the Ebuntu wiki page up and running
Please visit it at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu

> I would love to help in any way I can.
 We need to get upload the iso somewhere first. It's pretty stable now
and  working .
We need to setup
1) IRC Channel
2) Mailing lists

Thanks again

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 10:54 -0500, j Mak wrote:
> Awesome. I can help with the graphics.

Yup, we have a wiki up and running at  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu

Please visit that. Lets make Ebuntu the prettiest distro of all

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Manish Chakravarty

> Xubuntu isn't just about having XFCE as your wm; it's also about a
> version of Ubuntu that works on lower-spec'd machines, those that
> Gnome/KDE is too taxing for.

Similarly Ebuntu hopes to be the prettiest distro of all . With all the
whizz bangs and fancy GUI effects.
WE are planning to target middle - to higher end desktop systems.

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 08:23 -0600, Steve Tripp wrote:
> This is excellent!  I've been using Enlightenment for a while and
> definitely like it.

Thanks for showing intereste Steve. Please visit
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu (yup, the wiki page is up)

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Chuck MATTSEN
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:19:49 -0600, Manish Chakravarty
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for showing interest in the project
> I have the Ebuntu wiki page up and running
> Please visit it at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu
>
>> I would love to help in any way I can.
>  We need to get upload the iso somewhere first. It's pretty stable now
> and  working .
> We need to setup
> 1) IRC Channel
> 2) Mailing lists

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the project (my "skills" are too
meager to be of much assistance otherwise, I fear).  Used Enlightenment
(e16, then e17, sort of) for a couple of years, and loved it, though last
I looked at e17 it was still somewhat "skeletal," for lack of a better
term, and needed a lot of fleshing out.  Has it progressed to a fully
usable state in the past few months?

In any case, thanks for doing this, and will keep an ear to the Ebuntu
"ground," so to speak. :-)

--
Chuck Mattsen (Mahnomen, MN)

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

vincent.arnoux
Do you plan to release .deb installable via apt (apt-get install
ebuntu-desktop) ?

Vincent

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Tristan Rhodes-2
There is a simple solution:  Create a project a SourceForge.net, it is
really quite simple.  They will host your files for free on a worldwide
mirror network, and provide mailing lists.

Tristan Rhodes

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 18:43 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> Hi,
> Do you plan to release .deb installable via apt (apt-get install
> ebuntu-desktop) ?
>
> Vincent
Yes, surely, why not?

Re: ANNOUNCING : Ebuntu , Enlightenment 0.17 + Ubuntu

Manish Chakravarty
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 18:43 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> Hi,
> Do you plan to release .deb installable via apt (apt-get install
> ebuntu-desktop) ?
>
> Vincent
yes. I in a day or two. will announce it here

Dick Davies wrote:

> On 16/02/06, john levin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dick Davies wrote:

>>> I know. I think that's insane too. It's really not that much work to change
>>> your window manager, guys.
>>>

>> Xubuntu isn't just about having XFCE as your wm; it's also about a
>> version of Ubuntu that works on lower-spec'd machines, those that
>> Gnome/KDE is too taxing for.
>>

> Fair enough, but that's not what the wiki said.
> I don't think the same applies to ebuntu though.

Why does it matter? If people want to have ebuntu, then let them. I know
I will appreciate it as I happen to like E17, but even if I didn't, I
don't think it's something people have to really care about.

Sasha

On 17/02/06, Manish Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 18:43 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Do you plan to release .deb installable via apt (apt-get install
> > ebuntu-desktop) ?
> >
> > Vincent
> yes. I in a day or two. will announce it here

Brilliant, thanks!

http://number9.hellooperator.net/