Acer Aspire

John-68
Having identified an immediate need for more RAM, and appreciating
there's limited value in purchasing SDRAM for a notebook I took the plunge.

I armed myself with the knowledge on how to get Windoes tell me the
critical info re the wireless chipset and went to see the advertiser of
the 3003WLWi. Those were not in stock, but the young chap in the shop
suggested an Aspire 3503WLMI, and he fetched one from out the back,
unpacked it, plugged in and watched me set it up enough to go into the
wireless settings.

It's an Atheros AR5005 and after a little googling (and checking the U
wikis which weren't very helpful) I decided it's probably okay. Besides,
the 3003 was the best value I had found - 60 Gb, DVD burner and 512 Mb
are the other critical factors, and when I eventually bought the 3503 it
had been reduced $AU200 for being a runout, $50 because it was the last
one and a demo, another %50 because they couldn't find all the packaging
and the sleeves for the CDs were missing and I'd spent ages standing
around looking lost. The end result was 20 Gb more disk, a Celery
instead of a Sempron and a couple of dollars less.

Now I know why I need a Breezy live cd:-) Knoppix will have to do.

Here's where I nearly wet myself: the 80 Gb is partitioned. Two
partitions, of equal size. Formatted FAT32!!

I thought FAT32 pretty much died with Windows ME.

The U Wikis for Wireless.
I suspect they've been created mostly by folk who've had gear a year or
three. I didn't recognise any info about kit I found for sale. I suggest
those on this list with info take steps to update info, and those with
memberships of other Ulists remind folk there to contribute. I fully
understand that once one's learned enough to accomplish a task, it's
easy to forget to pass the experience on.

Certain cards are listed as working with ndiswrapper. It needs to me
made abundantly clear that those cards are complete nogos for users on
Power/PPC, *Sparc etc. One of the chaps in a store I went to actually
knew enough to suggest ndiswrapper when I objected to the broadcom
wireless card I found in of the laptops on offer.

I've booted the Knoppix 4 CD and had a look around. First time the card
showed up but the system locked up when I tried iwconfig to associate
with my AP,

I've looked around, not found any sure way forward atm. Judging from
madwifi.org (who seem to have sorted out their web presence at last) it
will probably work with their latest software.

Looking at Fedora Core 3 and RHEL-clone I see no support, which doesn't
surprise me: RH is necessarily a bit conservative.

Knoppix has the drivers, I just don't know whether they're the latest.
If so, prospects for a Quick Fix aren't good.

I've eyeballed a Breezy system and it seems to have the drivers too.

The wireless is unrecognised by lspci (hwadata? on Knoppix). Its PCI
version is 168c:001a, subversion 1468:0418

Does anyone here have any info on this device?

Knoppix is also saying lots about ACPI - so much I can't see any other
kernel messages.

Re: Acer Aspire

John-68
John wrote:

> The wireless is unrecognised by lspci (hwadata? on Knoppix). Its PCI
> version is 168c:001a, subversion 1468:0418
>
> Does anyone here have any info on this device?

I have.

I installed Breezy Kubuntu.

Since I was far from ethernet, and I figured wireless was flakey I
deferred configuring the network after the installer tried DHCP. Why not
check for wire in the NIC first? Avoids the timeout.

During the stage 2 install I logged in and ran a couple of iwscan
commands as an ordinary user. The second one hung the system and it took
kernel-magic keys to reboot.

I rebooted and something spotted the installation wasn't finish, suggest
a couple of reasons including lack of space (why not check this a.
Before starting, and b. beroe making this suggestion?).

I think it should have offered to retry from where it left off, but
instead it dropped me into a console login and left me to my own
devices. apt-get -f install suggested dpkg --configure -a; why not just
do it?.

Rebooted, got to X and logged in.

Found system settings, tried to configure wireless. Nothing, could not
activate, no messages.

I found Konsole, inspected /etc/network/interfaces. Asters for the WEP
ksy> Wierd. Tried to ifup ath0. Got messages about duff
/etc/network/interfaces. Didn't like the line that went
iface eth0 inet

Fixed that, could't connect to the AP. Thought so, fixed the asters.

On reboot, the wireless didn't come up. Everyone forgot
auto ath0

Had a bit of a look around. I like the Applesque system settings.
Surprised not to find The Gimp, firefox or thunderbird. Even more
surprised at no kmail. Well, kmail's installed, just not in the menu.

Some of the dialogues - eg network config - have an administrator mode
button whih gets hidden beneath the panel. Took a while to find it, I'm
not as quick as I used to be.

It would, I think, be good to be able to make some package choices
without going into expert mode - I really don't have a use for those
east-asian, east-european etc language packs: I speak English, maybe a
little French if I'm really desperate (more like I can read a little),
and most folk don't want the developer's tools but some do.

> Knoppix is also saying lots about ACPI - so much I can't see any other
> kernel messages.

Re: Acer Aspire

John-68
John wrote:

> Knoppix is also saying lots about ACPI - so much I can't see any other
> kernel messages.

I forgot, Kubuntu can't find the battery. This is really bad (for me).
No doubt Knoppix 4 can't either.