Add OS's to Grub

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

I have just consolidated two old(er) PC's into a slightly newer one, basically
took the hard drives out of them and put into the new pc, much to my surprise
Win7 did not complain (much) once I got my router to accept new Mac/IP/PC
Name(s)

I would like to boot without any extra keying for Boot order, but both Grubs
only show their own OS´s

Maybe a senior moment but thought grub (it has in past, when I booted from a
USB HD with Bionic on) found OS´s at boot?

I know that Trusty is coming to EOS so I will be putting Xenial over it

Thoughts ?

Running Beaver from USB want to use hard drive for swap

Mike Marchywka
I have been running Beaver off of USB for a while now and am generally comfortable
with it but the VM is slow and probably destroying the flash memory. I put a swap file
on the internal hard dirve and that improved the browser performance. However,
I;m not familiar with the LVM2 thing and wanted to just mount the minimum amount of
stuff to allow swaps without making it possible to delete files. The mapper lists a swap
partition. Can I just mount that and have Beaver use it without additional fiddling?

Mounting the root partition and creating a swap file worked fine but required
that I make the other files vulnerable to corruption.

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: Add OS's to Grub

Colin Watson
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 08:48:32AM -0000, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> I would like to boot without any extra keying for Boot order, but both Grubs
> only show their own OS´s
>
> Maybe a senior moment but thought grub (it has in past, when I booted from a
> USB HD with Bionic on) found OS´s at boot?

Do you have the os-prober package installed?

Re: Running Beaver from USB want to use hard drive for swap

Mike Marchywka
fwiw,, it looks like "swapon /dev/mapper/swapo_1" did work and
the Beaver on USB flash is using the internal hard drive swap partition without
a problem.  Seems to be more responsive with fewer pauses.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: Running Beaver from USB want to use hard drive for swap

Liam Proven
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 11:51, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> fwiw,, it looks like "swapon /dev/mapper/swapo_1" did work and
> the Beaver on USB flash is using the internal hard drive swap partition without
> a problem.  Seems to be more responsive with fewer pauses.

*Bins half-written reply*

Yes, you can use a different install's swap partition, no problem.
Just don't do it if the hard disk install was hibernated.

When I run *buntu off USB key, I use ZRAM for compressed in-memory
swap files. Sounds crazy but it works well.

Re: Add OS's to Grub

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 09:51, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe a senior moment but thought grub (it has in past, when I booted from a
> USB HD with Bionic on) found OS´s at boot?

No, it's not at boot time, it's when you update it.

Run

sudo update-grub

on one of the installs and it _should_ find the others and add them.

Re: Add OS's to Grub

22 March 2019  at 9:33, Colin Watson wrote:
Re: Add OS's to Grub (at least in part)

>On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 08:48:32AM -0000, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> I would like to boot without any extra keying for Boot order, but both Grubs
>> only show their own OS´s

>> Maybe a senior moment but thought grub (it has in past, when I booted from a
>> USB HD with Bionic on) found OS´s at boot?

>Do you have the os-prober package installed?

I assume its default on Bionic (and that's whu my USB version does it) don't
know if it was in Trusty, I will need to check

Re: Add OS's to Grub

22 March 2019  at 11:54, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Add OS's to Grub (at least in part)

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 09:51, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe a senior moment but thought grub (it has in past, when I booted from a
>> USB HD with Bionic on) found OS´s at boot?
>
>No, it's not at boot time, it's when you update it.
>
>Run
>
>sudo update-grub

>on one of the installs and it _should_ find the others and add them.

Ahhh so it was a senior moment then, I always assumed that

sudo update-grub

just wrote back data in

/etc/default/grub

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Re: Running Beaver from USB want to use hard drive for swap

Mike Marchywka
>__________________________________

What does this mean? lol

>Yes, you can use a different install's swap partition, no problem.
>Just don't do it if the hard disk install was hibernated.
>
>When I run *buntu off USB key, I use ZRAM for compressed in-memory
>swap files. Sounds crazy but it works well.

What do you need to install to try this? It is amazing where CPU usage is
faster than I/O :) How much compression do you typically see?

>--
>Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
>Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
>Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
>UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
>--

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

______

Re: Add OS's to Grub

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 13:13, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahhh so it was a senior moment then, I always assumed that
>
> sudo update-grub
>
> just wrote back data in
>
> /etc/default/grub

> /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I think it does do that, but more besides -- and one stage is running
the ``os-prober'' program.

Re: Add OS's to Grub

ubuntu-users mailing list
22 March 2019  at 13:39, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Add OS's to Grub (at least in part)

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 13:13, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ahhh so it was a senior moment then, I always assumed that
>>
>> sudo update-grub
>>
>> just wrote back data in
>>
>> /etc/default/grub

>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
>I think it does do that, but more besides -- and one stage is running
>the ``os-prober'' program.

Thanks