Adding a feature to enable a third party repository to an application

Adding a feature to enable a third party repository to an application

Mario Limonciello-2
Hello,

In Mythbuntu we have a tool called Mythbuntu Control Centre (MCC) that has a pluggable infrastructure for adding support via other packages.  One of the plugins available is a package called "mythbuntu-repos".  This package isn't currently on the archive, but stored solely on http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds.  This package adds an additional tab to MCC which allows the user to enable or disable an extra repository for mythtv updates.  This repository contains packages kicked off by a script that will build updated mythtv builds to both the current stable branch and the current master branch.  Users can select either one from the repository.

Thus far we've been reluctant to bring this feature directly into the packages in the archive.  More and more however, we're finding ourselves recommending users go that URL to enable auto-builds and then update to the latest of the stable branch to determine if the problem is present there.
So we're considering bringing the feature to enable the repository directly into MCC without additional plugins, but of course leaving the repository disabled until the user opts in to it.

I wanted to get feedback from other Ubuntu developers.  What do you think about allowing the user to enable a third party source from this tool?

Mario Limonciello

Re: Adding a feature to enable a third party repository to an application

Steve Langasek-6
Hi Mario,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:19:42PM -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> In Mythbuntu we have a tool called Mythbuntu Control Centre (MCC) that has a
> pluggable infrastructure for adding support via other packages.  One of the
> plugins available is a package called "mythbuntu-repos".  This package isn't
> currently on the archive, but stored solely on
> http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds.  This package adds an additional tab to
> MCC which allows the user to enable or disable an extra repository for
> mythtv updates.  This repository contains packages kicked off by a script
> that will build updated mythtv builds to both the current stable branch and
> the current master branch.  Users can select either one from the repository.

> Thus far we've been reluctant to bring this feature directly into the
> packages in the archive.  More and more however, we're finding ourselves
> recommending users go that URL to enable auto-builds and then update to the
> latest of the stable branch to determine if the problem is present there.
> So we're considering bringing the feature to enable the repository directly
> into MCC without additional plugins, but of course leaving the repository
> disabled until the user opts in to it.

> I wanted to get feedback from other Ubuntu developers.  What do you think
> about allowing the user to enable a third party source from this tool?

This is a very timely question.  I've just registered a blueprint about the
security problems of how we handle third-party packages today:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-security-of-third-party-debs

There will be a session to discuss this at UDS next week.

Is there a reason that your third-party repo isn't done as a PPA?

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/

Re: Adding a feature to enable a third party repository to an application

Mario Limonciello-3

Hi Steve,

It actually is done as a ppa, but we mirror it to other locale specific locations for speed purposes and use mcc to enable it for usability.

I'll ask the mythbuntu folks at uds to join that session. I'll see you there.

Thanks,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 09:20:09PM -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> It actually is done as a ppa, but we mirror it to other locale specific
> locations for speed purposes and use mcc to enable it for usability.

Oh, interesting.  Perhaps we can extend apt-add-repository to handle the
case of mirrors of a ppa...

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/