Additional mate-panel applets: sound (volume) and CPU temp

Additional mate-panel applets: sound (volume) and CPU temp

Robert Heller
I am looking for a couple of (non-standard?) mate-panel applets.  One for
setting speaker volume and one to show CPU temperature.  Do these applets
exist somewhere?  If so what packages do I need to install?

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: Additional mate-panel applets: sound (volume) and CPU temp

Bret Busby-2
On 18/12/2020, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking for a couple of (non-standard?) mate-panel applets.  One for
> setting speaker volume and one to show CPU temperature.  Do these applets
> exist somewhere?  If so what packages do I need to install?
>

> --
> Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

I do not know whether it is what you seek, but, in my UbuntuMATE
16.04.x , in right clicking on an empty space in the panel, then
choosing "Add to panel", one option is Hardware Sensors Monitor, which
includes, it says, temperature, and, another option, is Notification
Area, which, when the set of icons next to the date and time,
disappeared, is what I think, caused the to return. One of the icons
there, is an image of a speaker, which, upon selecting, provides for
muting, and, for volume control.  CPU temperature is not something
that I seek, so, I am guessing that adding the Hardware Sensors
Monitor to the panel, would have a similar effect to the System
Monitor option, which starts with a single image for one system
monitor option (eg, memory usage), and then, clicking on it to change
the preferences, adds whichever options applicable to that applet, you
want displayed.

I am unsure of all of this (apart from what the speaker icon
provides), but, I hope that this is of some help.
--
Bret Busby
Armadale

At Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:15:12 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/12/2020, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am looking for a couple of (non-standard?) mate-panel applets.  One for
> > setting speaker volume and one to show CPU temperature.  Do these applets
> > exist somewhere?  If so what packages do I need to install?
> >

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
> >

> I do not know whether it is what you seek, but, in my UbuntuMATE
> 16.04.x , in right clicking on an empty space in the panel, then
> choosing "Add to panel", one option is Hardware Sensors Monitor, which
> includes, it says, temperature, and, another option, is Notification
> Area, which, when the set of icons next to the date and time,

"Hardware Sensors Monitor" is absent, at least from the stock Ubuntu 18.04.  I
did not install the UbuntuMATE image, but the "standard" Ubuntu 18.04 image
and then later (after deciding that Gnome3 was an unusable disaster) installed
the Mate desktop.  Maybe the UbuntuMATE has additional (optional) packages
installed...

> disappeared, is what I think, caused the to return. One of the icons
> there, is an image of a speaker, which, upon selecting, provides for

Dito for the speaker icon.

> muting, and, for volume control.  CPU temperature is not something
> that I seek, so, I am guessing that adding the Hardware Sensors
> Monitor to the panel, would have a similar effect to the System
> Monitor option, which starts with a single image for one system
> monitor option (eg, memory usage), and then, clicking on it to change
> the preferences, adds whichever options applicable to that applet, you
> want displayed.

The speaker is more of a useful convience -- there are actual buttons on the
laptop's keyboard for speaker volume and muting.

The temperature is more critical.  My laptop tends to overheat when I have it
on my lap -- it is not a problem on a hard surface (desk or table), since
there are "feet" that hold the bottom of the laptop clear of the surface.  The
air intakes are on the bottom and when the laptop is on my lap, my legs tend
to block the air intakes and this impedes air flow over the processor and it
then starts to overheat.  With the temp monitor on the screen I can see if the
temp is getting too high and can lift the laptop off my legs to allow the
processor to cool down a bit.  Otherwise, my laptop will just shutdown on
me -- very anoying...

> I am unsure of all of this (apart from what the speaker icon
> provides), but, I hope that this is of some help.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: Additional mate-panel applets: sound (volume) and CPU temp

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Robert,

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 20:39, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

The temperature is more critical.  My laptop tends to overheat when I have it
on my lap -- it is not a problem on a hard surface (desk or table), since
there are "feet" that hold the bottom of the laptop clear of the surface.  The
air intakes are on the bottom and when the laptop is on my lap, my legs tend
to block the air intakes and this impedes air flow over the processor and it
then starts to overheat.  With the temp monitor on the screen I can see if the
temp is getting too high and can lift the laptop off my legs to allow the
processor to cool down a bit.  Otherwise, my laptop will just shutdown on
me -- very anoying...

I use a laptop tray to avoid blocking air vents and , when running from the mains, avoids stressing the power connector of the laptop.

HTH,

Ian

> [...]

> The
> air intakes are on the bottom and when the laptop is on my lap, my legs tend
> to block the air intakes and this impedes air flow over the processor and it
> then starts to overheat.  With the temp monitor on the screen I can see if
> the
> temp is getting too high and can lift the laptop off my legs to allow the
> processor to cool down a bit.  Otherwise, my laptop will just shutdown on
> me -- very anoying...
>

>> I am unsure of all of this (apart from what the speaker icon
>> provides), but, I hope that this is of some help.
>
> --
> Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Without being aware of whether the disruption would be too great, I
suggest obtaining a UbuntuMATE iso, and doing a clean install.

In that, whilst others would disagree, since your version is later
than 16.04, I suggest installing 20.10. Whilst 20.10 is not an LTS
version, you may have seen my previous comments about 20.10 being the
bug fix version of 20.04 (or, appearing to me, to so be).

And, whilst I do not regard a "laptop computer" as being suitable to
be used on a person's lap, I suggest also, as did Ian, that, if you
would use one on your lap, to use a hard flat surface under it; if you
do not have a "laptop" tray, then, a tray thing for sitting on a
person's lap, for eating meals, or a tray for carrying foodstuffs
(preferably, wooden, rather than plastic, due to the heat involved),
or, in the absence of anything else, a rectangle of plywood, if
available.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Additional mate-panel applets: sound (volume) and CPU temp

Little Girl
Hey there,

Robert Heller wrote:
>"Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I do not know whether it is what you seek, but, in my UbuntuMATE
>> 16.04.x , in right clicking on an empty space in the panel, then
>> choosing "Add to panel", one option is Hardware Sensors Monitor,
>> which includes, it says, temperature, and, another option, is
>> Notification Area, which, when the set of icons next to the date
>> and time,

>"Hardware Sensors Monitor" is absent, at least from the stock Ubuntu
>18.04.

Try the "Indicator Applet Complete" applet.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

At Sat, 19 Dec 2020 22:36:57 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Robert Heller wrote:
> >"Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> I do not know whether it is what you seek, but, in my UbuntuMATE
> >> 16.04.x , in right clicking on an empty space in the panel, then
> >> choosing "Add to panel", one option is Hardware Sensors Monitor,
> >> which includes, it says, temperature, and, another option, is
> >> Notification Area, which, when the set of icons next to the date
> >> and time,
>
> >"Hardware Sensors Monitor" is absent, at least from the stock Ubuntu
> >18.04.
>
> Try the "Indicator Applet Complete" applet.

There is no "Indicator Applet Complete" listed either.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364