Adobe digital editions

andres
Hi all,

After reading this (0) I gave installing adobe digital editions a try with wine. This would enable reading ebooks purchased in waterstones with the likes of sony e-reader.

The adobe installer claims it needs .net (3.5 i believe) but as I try to install it the instalation fails.

A) has anybody managed to install it? If so, any pointers would be great.
B) is there another way around it? Calibre will not help because of DRM.

My view would be not to buy DRM e-books and have recommended that but the person I am doing support for still wants it anyway. And it would mean not needing the win xp instalation.

(0) http://askubuntu.com/questions/92444/how-to-install-adobe-digital-editions

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Re: Adobe digital editions

Simon Greenwood

On 17 May 2014 23:38, Andrés <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

After reading this (0) I gave installing adobe digital editions a try with wine. This would enable reading ebooks purchased in waterstones with the likes of sony e-reader.

The adobe installer claims it needs .net (3.5 i believe) but as I try to install it the instalation fails.

A) has anybody managed to install it? If so, any pointers would be great.
B) is there another way around it? Calibre will not help because of DRM.

My view would be not to buy DRM e-books and have recommended that but the person I am doing support for still wants it anyway. And it would mean not needing the win xp instalation.

(0) http://askubuntu.com/questions/92444/how-to-install-adobe-digital-editions

One suggestion is to use wine-mono rather than .Net but it might also depend on finding a version that works if there have been changes recently. It wouldn't surprise me if Adobe constantly hack around with DRM to prevent people trying to read their books for free rather than working on usability for example.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Re: Adobe digital editions

Barry Drake
On 18/05/14 00:38, Andrés wrote:
> After reading this (0) I gave installing adobe digital editions a try
> with wine. This would enable reading ebooks purchased in waterstones
> with the likes of sony e-reader.

You need an earlier archived version of ADE - ver 172.  This runs well
under wine.

Calibre will help if you get the dedrm plugin.
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps.

Barry Drake.

Re: Adobe digital editions