After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list
Dear members,

I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful. And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user. If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome. As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.



Thank you in advance

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Colin Law
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 22:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear members,

I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful. And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user. If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome. As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.



Thank you in advance

Is your motherboard BIOS/UEFI up to date?

Colin
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list
Thanks Colin. Yes it should be. It's the A19. There is no newer available I guess. I was thinking of hacking it with the me_cleaner soon though. Any insight on that would be welcome as well if anyone has done such a hack and how it worked with your Ubuntu?

On Monday, November 9, 2020, 12:12:03 AM GMT+2, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 22:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear members,

I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful. And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user. If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome. As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.



Thank you in advance

Is your motherboard BIOS/UEFI up to date?

Colin
 
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Colin Law

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, 22:20 Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Colin. Yes it should be. It's the A19. There is no newer available I guess.

Not sure what you mean by your use of the word guess there.

Colin
sers mailing list

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list
It means I'm not 100% sure if there is newer version available, but at least Dell's support site does not have anything better than A19. So I would say, no. I have the latest BIOS, the culprit must be somewhere else.

On Monday, November 9, 2020, 9:31:39 AM GMT+2, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:



On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, 22:20 Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Colin. Yes it should be. It's the A19. There is no newer available I guess.

Not sure what you mean by your use of the word guess there.

Colin
sers mailing list
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 23:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear members,
>
> I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful.

A couple of suggestions:
* respect mailing list etiquette: use plain text, no formatting, and
put replies at the bottom underneath the trimmed text you are replying
to
* don't make us go hunting for info on other sites. Give us the
essential info in your first mail.

>  And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user.

I think you have an Ubuntu One account if you are posting on the
forums. Log in with that.

>  If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome.

We can't. It needs your computer to fill in the logs, settings etc.

Here's a video that explains how to do it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-file-a-bug-in-ubuntu

> As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.
>
> After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost
>
>> Dear people, I realized that after recent updates between 31.8-2.9 2020 Ubuntu Studio loses the second display ...

Digging through your replies, reading the forum posts, I am trying to
guess your problem. I should not have to do this.

As far as I can gather:
• You have a Dell Precision M4700, but we do not know what GPU or what driver
• You are running Ubuntu Studio but we do not know what version
• You have a 2nd display but we do not know what it is or how it is
connected or if you've tried other connections
• You do have the latest firmware update
• The problem goes away with an older kernel
• Your system is also losing its wifi connection

If you can fill in some of the blanks I have listed above we can try
to say more.

Meantime, all I can offer are generalisations:
• If you have GPU switching, disable it
• Identify your GPU and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer
• Try a different connection, try a different cable, try a different screen
• Does putting it to sleep and waking it make any difference?
• Have you tried other OSEs/distros? Are they also affected?

--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list


On Monday, November 9, 2020, 1:42:10 PM GMT+2, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 23:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear members,
>
> I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful.

A couple of suggestions:
* respect mailing list etiquette: use plain text, no formatting, and
put replies at the bottom underneath the trimmed text you are replying
to
* don't make us go hunting for info on other sites. Give us the
essential info in your first mail.

>  And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user.

I think you have an Ubuntu One account if you are posting on the
forums. Log in with that.

>  If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome.

We can't. It needs your computer to fill in the logs, settings etc.

Here's a video that explains how to do it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-file-a-bug-in-ubuntu


> As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.
>
> After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost
>
>> Dear people, I realized that after recent updates between 31.8-2.9 2020 Ubuntu Studio loses the second display ...


Digging through your replies, reading the forum posts, I am trying to
guess your problem. I should not have to do this.

As far as I can gather:
• You have a Dell Precision M4700, but we do not know what GPU or what driver
• You are running Ubuntu Studio but we do not know what version
• You have a 2nd display but we do not know what it is or how it is
connected or if you've tried other connections
• You do have the latest firmware update
• The problem goes away with an older kernel
• Your system is also losing its wifi connection

If you can fill in some of the blanks I have listed above we can try
to say more.

Meantime, all I can offer are generalisations:
• If you have GPU switching, disable it
• Identify your GPU and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer
• Try a different connection, try a different cable, try a different screen
• Does putting it to sleep and waking it make any difference?
• Have you tried other OSEs/distros? Are they also affected?

Thank you Liam

it took some time to get back to this. So to answer those questions:

*My GPU is Nvidia K2000m

*Ubuntu Sutdio 20.04

*Dell 23* display, but not sure of the model, it's 9 years old. HDMI-DVI cable.

*Not sure of the display firmware

Here behind these link you'll see the screenshots of Nvidia driver server setting panel before and after the kernel updates:

Link https://postimg.cc/VdWsXGb2

Removal link https://postimg.cc/delete/S3pXSkdW/069f6158


image after update

Link https://postimg.cc/dD8JKHnD

Removal link https://postimg.cc/delete/yGMxjsww/cde34608

As you can see the selections are narrowed down after the update and the driver version can't be seen.

I also noticed today that Virtual Box where I have Windows 7 installed didn’t book and gave kernel related error when I booted with the latest kernel.

However I was able to make the Dell display come along when I changed the GPU driver to the generic open source one that is listed as option in Ubuntu Studio, but it’s not so good and keeps more noise even with TLP activated. But when changing back to Nvidia the problem came back.


I'm thinking of uninstalling the drivers and then updating the kernel and installing them again, but I wonder if doing more thorough reinstallation would help? I mean doing it through the Terminal removing everything Nvidia related. Or I just update to Ubuntu 20.10.

Thank you in advance if you have any other recommendations based on that.

-Tuukka





--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list


On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 11:47:06 PM GMT+2, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:




On Monday, November 9, 2020, 1:42:10 PM GMT+2, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 23:01, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear members,
>
> I link here my issue that is yet to be solved. There are few replies to that, but non of them were helpful.

A couple of suggestions:
* respect mailing list etiquette: use plain text, no formatting, and
put replies at the bottom underneath the trimmed text you are replying
to
* don't make us go hunting for info on other sites. Give us the
essential info in your first mail.

>  And I find subscribing to the Launchpad to report a bug too cumbersome for a normie user.

I think you have an Ubuntu One account if you are posting on the
forums. Log in with that.

>  If anyone could do it on my behalf that would be awesome.

We can't. It needs your computer to fill in the logs, settings etc.

Here's a video that explains how to do it:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-file-a-bug-in-ubuntu


> As I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe there are no other people in the world with similar set up. Now the Kernel updates are already on 5.4.0.-52 The last Kernel that works is the -42 one that I need to boot with. Soon the system asks me to clean the old kernels so it would be good get this solved soon.
>
> After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost
>
>> Dear people, I realized that after recent updates between 31.8-2.9 2020 Ubuntu Studio loses the second display ...


Digging through your replies, reading the forum posts, I am trying to
guess your problem. I should not have to do this.

As far as I can gather:
• You have a Dell Precision M4700, but we do not know what GPU or what driver
• You are running Ubuntu Studio but we do not know what version
• You have a 2nd display but we do not know what it is or how it is
connected or if you've tried other connections
• You do have the latest firmware update
• The problem goes away with an older kernel
• Your system is also losing its wifi connection

If you can fill in some of the blanks I have listed above we can try
to say more.

Meantime, all I can offer are generalisations:
• If you have GPU switching, disable it
• Identify your GPU and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer
• Try a different connection, try a different cable, try a different screen
• Does putting it to sleep and waking it make any difference?
• Have you tried other OSEs/distros? Are they also affected?

Thank you Liam

it took some time to get back to this. So to answer those questions:

*My GPU is Nvidia K2000m

*Ubuntu Sutdio 20.04

*Dell 23* display, but not sure of the model, it's 9 years old. HDMI-DVI cable.

*Not sure of the display firmware

Here behind these link you'll see the screenshots of Nvidia driver server setting panel before and after the kernel updates:

Link https://postimg.cc/VdWsXGb2

Removal link https://postimg.cc/delete/S3pXSkdW/069f6158


image after update

Link https://postimg.cc/dD8JKHnD

Removal link https://postimg.cc/delete/yGMxjsww/cde34608

As you can see the selections are narrowed down after the update and the driver version can't be seen.

I also noticed today that Virtual Box where I have Windows 7 installed didn’t book and gave kernel related error when I booted with the latest kernel.

However I was able to make the Dell display come along when I changed the GPU driver to the generic open source one that is listed as option in Ubuntu Studio, but it’s not so good and keeps more noise even with TLP activated. But when changing back to Nvidia the problem came back.


I'm thinking of uninstalling the drivers and then updating the kernel and installing them again, but I wonder if doing more thorough reinstallation would help? I mean doing it through the Terminal removing everything Nvidia related. Or I just update to Ubuntu 20.10.

Thank you in advance if you have any other recommendations based on that.

-Tuukka



Update. I was able to fix the problem by adding kernel headers that were missing. Thank you Liam
 anyway.
--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Liam Proven
On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 13:54, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thank you Liam

I could not find your reply -- all I saw was (collapsed) quoted text.
Then I looked for your email and saw it was on Yahoo. If you're using
the web interface, yes, it's annoying, but there's no way to properly
bottom-post. I suggest Thunderbird -- it can talk to Yahoo mail and it
makes it work "normally", in a more standards-compliant way.

> it took some time to get back to this. So to answer those questions:
>
> *My GPU is Nvidia K2000m

I googled this. It's a laptop GPU, yes?

Does your machine have 2 GPUs with switching? nVidia Optimus or
something like that?

This is notoriously hard to get working with Linux. One option is to
disable switching in the BIOS. Another, and I don't normally suggest
such a radical move, is that perhaps Pop!_OS might work for you. It is
a remix of Ubuntu from a company that sells dual-GPU laptops and it
has the GPU-switching functionality installed and enabled by default
from initial installation. It's the only distro I have heard of that
has this.

> *Ubuntu Sutdio 20.04
>
> *Dell 23* display, but not sure of the model, it's 9 years old. HDMI-DVI cable.
>
> *Not sure of the display firmware

That's fair. It's rare (and difficult) to check or to update this.
Don't worry about it.

> Here behind these link you'll see the screenshots of Nvidia driver server setting panel before and after the kernel updates:
>
> Link https://postimg.cc/VdWsXGb2
>
> image after update
>
> Link https://postimg.cc/dD8JKHnD
>
> As you can see the selections are narrowed down after the update and the driver version can't be seen.

That is odd.

How are you installing the drivers? From Ubuntu's software settings ,
or from a direct download from nVidia?

The former is usually preferable.

> I also noticed today that Virtual Box where I have Windows 7 installed didn’t book and gave kernel related error when I booted with the latest kernel.

Again -- VBox from Ubuntu's software centre, or by direct download?

In case of difficulties, use the versions from the repos. They have
been tested, should Just Work™ and you will get updates automatically.

> However I was able to make the Dell display come along when I changed the GPU driver to the generic open source one that is listed as option in Ubuntu Studio, but it’s not so good and keeps more noise even with TLP activated. But when changing back to Nvidia the problem came back.
>
>
> I'm thinking of uninstalling the drivers and then updating the kernel and installing them again, but I wonder if doing more thorough reinstallation would help? I mean doing it through the Terminal removing everything Nvidia related. Or I just update to Ubuntu 20.10.

If you installed them from  a direct download, I suggest removing them
from the terminal, rebooting, and installing whatever the Software and
Drivers settings page offers you. If you have a choice there, try the
newest; if it doesn't work well, try the next oldest, and repeat.



--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list


On Friday, December 4, 2020, 3:30:53 PM GMT+2, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 13:54, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thank you Liam

I could not find your reply -- all I saw was (collapsed) quoted text.
Then I looked for your email and saw it was on Yahoo. If you're using
the web interface, yes, it's annoying, but there's no way to properly
bottom-post. I suggest Thunderbird -- it can talk to Yahoo mail and it
makes it work "normally", in a more standards-compliant way.

> it took some time to get back to this. So to answer those questions:
>
> *My GPU is Nvidia K2000m

I googled this. It's a laptop GPU, yes?

Does your machine have 2 GPUs with switching? nVidia Optimus or
something like that?

This is notoriously hard to get working with Linux. One option is to
disable switching in the BIOS. Another, and I don't normally suggest
such a radical move, is that perhaps Pop!_OS might work for you. It is
a remix of Ubuntu from a company that sells dual-GPU laptops and it
has the GPU-switching functionality installed and enabled by default
from initial installation. It's the only distro I have heard of that
has this.

> *Ubuntu Sutdio 20.04
>
> *Dell 23* display, but not sure of the model, it's 9 years old. HDMI-DVI cable.
>
> *Not sure of the display firmware

That's fair. It's rare (and difficult) to check or to update this.
Don't worry about it.

> Here behind these link you'll see the screenshots of Nvidia driver server setting panel before and after the kernel updates:
>
> Link https://postimg.cc/VdWsXGb2
>
> image after update
>
> Link https://postimg.cc/dD8JKHnD
>
> As you can see the selections are narrowed down after the update and the driver version can't be seen.

That is odd.

How are you installing the drivers? From Ubuntu's software settings ,
or from a direct download from nVidia?

The former is usually preferable.

> I also noticed today that Virtual Box where I have Windows 7 installed didn’t book and gave kernel related error when I booted with the latest kernel.

Again -- VBox from Ubuntu's software centre, or by direct download?

In case of difficulties, use the versions from the repos. They have
been tested, should Just Work™ and you will get updates automatically.

> However I was able to make the Dell display come along when I changed the GPU driver to the generic open source one that is listed as option in Ubuntu Studio, but it’s not so good and keeps more noise even with TLP activated. But when changing back to Nvidia the problem came back.
>
>
> I'm thinking of uninstalling the drivers and then updating the kernel and installing them again, but I wonder if doing more thorough reinstallation would help? I mean doing it through the Terminal removing everything Nvidia related. Or I just update to Ubuntu 20.10.

If you installed them from  a direct download, I suggest removing them
from the terminal, rebooting, and installing whatever the Software and
Drivers settings page offers you. If you have a choice there, try the
newest; if it doesn't work well, try the next oldest, and repeat.

--------------------

Update. Not sure if you got this already, but I was able to fix the problem by adding kernel headers that were missing. I came across with that solution when browsing about the Virtual Box issue on Ask Ubuntu. Very weird. I have no clue what the "kernel headers" even are and why they can go missing like that after update.

This one solved it:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Everything worked well after that.

Thank you Liam anyway.


--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Liam Proven
On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 15:04, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update. Not sure if you got this already, but I was able to fix the problem by adding kernel headers that were missing. I came across with that solution when browsing about the Virtual Box issue on Ask Ubuntu. Very weird. I have no clue what the "kernel headers" even are and why they can go missing like that after update.
>
> This one solved it:
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
>
> Everything worked well after that.
>
> Thank you Liam anyway.

Aha!

So, a different problem then.

GPU drivers have to interact closely with the Linux kernel. Virtualbox
installs a kernel driver too for its virtual networking switch, so
that VMs can communicate with each other, and/or the host, and/or the
public Internet.

For this close interaction, the drivers load into the kernel as
modules. Modules are specific to one specific version of the kernel.
Every time you update the kernel, these driver modules must be
rebuilt. This means they must be linked against the specific kernel
they are running on. A tool called DKMS does this automatically -- if
you don't have it, or don't know, try:

sudo apt install dkms

If it's not there, it will be added. If it is, nothing changes.

To rebuild kernel modules, the `build-essential` package supplies the
needed tools, and you also need the header files for that particular
kernel version.

--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On 04/12/2020, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 13:54, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Thank you Liam
>
> I could not find your reply -- all I saw was (collapsed) quoted text.
> Then I looked for your email and saw it was on Yahoo. If you're using
> the web interface, yes, it's annoying, but there's no way to properly
> bottom-post. I suggest Thunderbird -- it can talk to Yahoo mail and it
> makes it work "normally", in a more standards-compliant way.
>
>> it took some time to get back to this. So to answer those questions:
>>
>> *My GPU is Nvidia K2000m
>
> I googled this. It's a laptop GPU, yes?
>
> Does your machine have 2 GPUs with switching? nVidia Optimus or
> something like that?
>
> This is notoriously hard to get working with Linux. One option is to
> disable switching in the BIOS. Another, and I don't normally suggest
> such a radical move, is that perhaps Pop!_OS might work for you. It is
> a remix of Ubuntu from a company that sells dual-GPU laptops and it
> has the GPU-switching functionality installed and enabled by default
> from initial installation. It's the only distro I have heard of that
> has this.
>


My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux has had this functionality for
several years, and, this is the reason that, several years ago, I
switched completely from Debian Linux to Ubuntu Linux, and, when gnome
eliminated gnome2, to UbuntuMATE.

I believe that, if you search the mailing list archives, going back
some years ago, you should find references to this.

I bought my (then) souper dooper Acer Aspire V3-772G, with nVIDIA
Optimus and an i7 Haskell architecture CPU (and an inboard Intel GPU).

It took me 18 months to get it working. The computer has MS Windows 8
(preinstalled) on it, and, I had found that OS to be so difficult to
use, that I gave up trying to use it (and, forgot my password(s) for
it).

I had tried to find a non-MS operating system to run on that computer,
and found only two that had drivers for the i7 Haskell CPU;
dragonflyBSD and Ubuntu Linux.

When it came to nVIDIA drivers, and for Optimus, the response from the
dragonflyBSD mailing list, was "screw you - we are not here to provide
a usable operating system - we are here only for our own, closed
circle, limited usability clique".

I found that Ubuntu Linux had the applicable drivers, and, thus,
allowed me to get an external monitor operating with the computer,
since (and, it may have worked in earlier versions; I am not sure)
12.04, which is when I switched completely from Debian Linux to Ubuntu
Linux, as Ubuntu Linux was the only non-MS operating system that had
the drivers for that computer, including for nVIDIA Optimus.

I am now running UbuntuMATE 16.04 on that computer, my most powerful
computer, and, I intend to keep running 16.04 on it, for as long as I
can.

I have another computer with nVIDIA Optimus; an Acer Aspire 5750G
(which has MS Windows 7 installed, although, whilst I found that
version of MS Windows, to be quite usable, I haven't used the MS
Windows on that computer, for so many years, that I have forgotten how
long since I used it). On that computer, I have UbuntuMATE 20.10
running, and, I have not had any problems with either of the Acer
Aspire "laptop" computers running Ubuntu Linux, in terms of the issue
of using nVIDIA Optimus and thence, an external screen, with them.

On both of the Acer Aspire computers, I am running 24" external
monitors, at 1920x1080 resolution. I do not know whether the inboard
Intel GPU's on both computers, support that resolution - both
computers also have VGA sockets, which may be (I do not know, but, I
assume/guess that they are) connected to the inboard Intel GPU's.

From memory, Ubuntu Linux had (I do not know whether it still has an
uses) the nouveau driver, for running nVIDIA Optimus hardware.

I believe that someone from Ubuntu Linux, such as Oliver, would be
more knowledgeable about the details here, regarding nVIDIA Optimus
and Ubuntu Linux, and could thence, clarify the details, but, what I
have described, is my experience; that Ubuntu Linux has been able to
successfully work with nVIDIA Optimus, since at least 12.04.

Also, I note, out of interest, that Ubuntu Linux has incorporated
(without having to install extra software) the driver(s) (?) for the
eFAT (?) file format as used by the Samsung T5 external USB drives,
allowing file sizes >4GB (I do not know what is the maximum file size
for that file format), and, when I got my first Samsung T5, it simply
worked as plug and play, whereas, from my understanding, on all other
Linux (at least, at that time), additional software was required to be
installed, to access the eFAT file format, and, therefore, the Samsung
T5 external USD HDD's.

My understanding, for several years now, is that Ubuntu Linux is the
most advanced non-MS operating system, in terms of hardware drivers.

Whilst I have not performed the latest (within the last day or so, I
think) kernel upgrades, on both computers, (16.04.7 and 20.10), the
two computer are otherwise updated, and, I have not had issues with
either wifi or, the external displays.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Bret Busby-2
Because this thread refers to "wi-fi is lost", "After recent
upgrades", here is a thing; a problem, with which I do not know how to
deal, that has arisen in the last twelve hours.

I access the Internet, using wifi connections from my computers, to a
wifi/4G modem/router.

I had to go out for a few hours, several hours ago, and, after I
returned, my computers had lost the connection to the Internet. In
trying to re-establish the connection, I tried first, the "Try again";
using the same device for the Internet connection. That did not work,
so, I tried to use another wifi device, to connect to the Internet. My
cellphone uses a different 4G carrier, so, I tried to switch to that.

I was able to do that, after a couple of steps, on my 20.10 system.
The 20.10 system appears, in the "indicator applet thingy that is used
to get network connection (this appears to be a MATE thing, and,
thence, a downgrading of functionality n MATE), to have lost the
convenience that exists in the 16.04.x equivalent, of listing all
available devices for connection, so making switchimg from one wifi
devoice to another, a simple action of clicking the list entry for the
new target wifi device for connection. So, in 20.10, the current
connected device has to be disconnected, and then, when the
notification that the disconnection has been effected, is displayed,
the applet icon has to be again, selected, to, only then, display the
list of available devices, for the new target wifi device, to which to
be connected, to then be selected, to effect the transfer of the wifi
connection to that device.

In 16.04.x, selecting the wifi connection applet icon, while a wifi
connection is in effect, displays a list of all available wifi
connections, including the current connected device, which has the
"Disconnect" option under it, the displayed listing of all available
devices, allowing for a single click on the desired target device, to
transfer the wifi connection to that device.

This much more efficient process, appears to have been eliminated, in
the downgrading from 16.04 to 20.10.

However, apart from that being one of the downgrades from 16.04 to
20.109, the primary concern of this message is this; as of the last
twelve hours, I can no longer change the wifi connection, on 16.04.7 .

Upon selecting the network connection applet icon, in the "indicator
applet" set, in the panel, and, thence, clicking on either a different
(to the one to which the current connection is in effect) available
wifi device, to which, to transfer the wifi connection, or, the
"Disconnect" option for the current connected wifi device, to simply
sever the connection, the system has removed the authorisation to
perform the action, as shown in the attached screenshot, with that
change, having mysteriously been made, being observed only in the last
twelve hours.

If I power off and reboot the modem (which I have now had to do,
twice, in the last twelve hours), a new connection to the Internet, is
made, for as long as the modem connection to the Internet, or, the
wifi connection to the modem, lasts. The indicator shows full wifi
signal strength between the computer and the modem, but, given this
weird change that has recently occurred, I do not know that what is
displayed by that applet, can be trusted.

What has caused this, and, why, and, what action is needed to be
performed, to undo the change?

I have not seen this problem before.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Screenshot at 2020-12-05 01:14:22.png (24K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Bret Busby-2
On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 20:11, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux has had this functionality for
> several years

No, it does not.

> I had tried to find a non-MS operating system to run on that computer,
> and found only two that had drivers for the i7 Haskell CPU;
> dragonflyBSD and Ubuntu Linux.

As a rule you do not need "drivers" for a CPU. Any x86 CPU can run x86 code.

> When it came to nVIDIA drivers, and for Optimus, the response from the
> dragonflyBSD mailing list, was "screw you - we are not here to provide
> a usable operating system - we are here only for our own, closed
> circle, limited usability clique".

DragonflyBSD is an experimental OS for developing new concepts in OS
kernels. It is absolutely *not* an OS for beginners, non-technical
users, or non-experts, no. It is for kernel developers and so far not
really anyone else.

> Ubuntu Linux was the only non-MS operating system that had
> the drivers for that computer, including for nVIDIA Optimus.

Optimus is not a display adapter or graphics chip. It is something
else. It is, broadly, a switching mechanism.

> Aspire "laptop" computers running Ubuntu Linux, in terms of the issue
> of using nVIDIA Optimus and thence, an external screen, with them.

You do not need Optimus for an external screen.

> On both of the Acer Aspire computers, I am running 24" external
> monitors, at 1920x1080 resolution. I do not know whether the inboard
> Intel GPU's on both computers, support that resolution

As a broad generalisation, any computer with multiple GPUs, all GPUs
support all resolutions the computer can display.


> - both
> computers also have VGA sockets, which may be (I do not know, but, I
> assume/guess that they are) connected to the inboard Intel GPU's.

No. It does not work like that. All GPUs are connected to all display
outputs, including the internal screen.

Optimus switches between GPUs; that is why it is hard.

> From memory, Ubuntu Linux had (I do not know whether it still has an
> uses) the nouveau driver, for running nVIDIA Optimus hardware.

No. Nouveau is the FOSS driver for nVidia GPUs. It is nothing to do
with Optimus.

> that Ubuntu Linux has been able to
> successfully work with nVIDIA Optimus, since at least 12.04.

It sounds to me like you are not using Optimus at all, to be honest.

> Also, I note, out of interest, that Ubuntu Linux has incorporated
> (without having to install extra software) the driver(s) (?) for the
> eFAT (?) file format as used by the Samsung T5 external USB drives,

No. This is an extra. As a demonstration, here are installation instructions:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1234755/how-to-enable-exfat-for-ubuntu-20-04

If it works, then you have it installed. Perhaps you forgot doing it.
I certainly forget all the things I've installed on my laptop, whose
Ubuntu install started out as 13.04 on a different machine about 7y
ago.

> My understanding, for several years now, is that Ubuntu Linux is the
> most advanced non-MS operating system, in terms of hardware drivers.

Not really -- Mint exceeds it. This is one of Mint's selling points.

--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
I performed an upgrade in the last twelve hours, on a 20.10 computer,
and, before the upgrade was completed, I had been getting download
speeds of up to 15MB/s, and, after the upgrade, the computer is
struggling to get 200B/s, and has been repeatedly timing out.

The computer is using wifi, and, I have tried with different devices,
with different carriers, to access the Internet. After the upgrade,
trying to access the Internet, is like trying to run in neck deep
porridge.

My 16.04 system is accessing the Internet okay.

The Internet access problem of the 20.10 system, is compounded by the
aspect that, if a patch becomes available, if the computer can not
access the Internet sufficiently to download the patch, the patch and
any other fixes, become inaccessible.



--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list


On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 3:13:14 AM GMT+2, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:


I performed an upgrade in the last twelve hours, on a 20.10 computer,
and, before the upgrade was completed, I had been getting download
speeds of up to 15MB/s, and, after the upgrade, the computer is
struggling to get 200B/s, and has been repeatedly timing out.

The computer is using wifi, and, I have tried with different devices,
with different carriers, to access the Internet. After the upgrade,
trying to access the Internet, is like trying to run in neck deep
porridge.

My 16.04 system is accessing the Internet okay.

The Internet access problem of the 20.10 system, is compounded by the
aspect that, if a patch becomes available, if the computer can not
access the Internet sufficiently to download the patch, the patch and
any other fixes, become inaccessible.



--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

Hi Bret

I can't offer you any solution or suggestion, but as I was thinking about updating to 20.10 from 20.04 at some point it is interesting to read others experiences. Did you update from 20.04 and if so did you have to install all the applications again? Or did it all work when just copy pasting the "my" folder into the new installation like it's advised on at least Ubuntu Studio distro site? I don't know how the installation instructions vary between different distros. 

Best regards

Tuukka

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

Bret Busby-2
On 07/12/2020, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>     On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 3:13:14 AM GMT+2, Bret Busby
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I performed an upgrade in the last twelve hours, on a 20.10 computer,
> and, before the upgrade was completed, I had been getting download
> speeds of up to 15MB/s, and, after the upgrade, the computer is
> struggling to get 200B/s, and has been repeatedly timing out.
>
> The computer is using wifi, and, I have tried with different devices,
> with different carriers, to access the Internet. After the upgrade,
> trying to access the Internet, is like trying to run in neck deep
> porridge.
>
> My 16.04 system is accessing the Internet okay.
>
> The Internet access problem of the 20.10 system, is compounded by the
> aspect that, if a patch becomes available, if the computer can not
> access the Internet sufficiently to download the patch, the patch and
> any other fixes, become inaccessible.
>
>
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> Hi Bret
> I can't offer you any solution or suggestion, but as I was thinking about
> updating to 20.10 from 20.04 at some point it is interesting to read others
> experiences. Did you update from 20.04 and if so did you have to install all
> the applications again? Or did it all work when just copy pasting the "my"
> folder into the new installation like it's advised on at least Ubuntu Studio
> distro site? I don't know how the installation instructions vary between
> different distros.
>
> Best regards
> Tuukka
>

Hello.

I strongly recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.

I found 20.04 to be quite buggy, and, 20.10 was what 20.04.1 should
have been - a bug fix release

I have found 20.10 much better than 20.04.

For the upgrading, I changed the Software Updater setting (Software
Updater -> Settings -> Updates option "Notify me of a new Ubuntu
version" from "For long-term support versions" to "For any new
version", then closed the Software Updater, and ran it, and, when it
displayed the message worded like "You are running 20.04. A new
version, 20.10 is available.", I selected the "Upgrade now" option,
rather than the "Okay" option (the "Okay" option just indicates
acknowledgement of the message that a later version is available), and
then, it commenced the upgrade to the newer version.

All applications were upgraded as appropriate, and, no files or
folders were needed to be copied; it upgraded the 20.04 installation
to the 20.10 installation, and, no configuration files needed to be
copied to the new version installation. Even the compound update
command, that has previously been discussed (it contains about four
commands, in a single command, to perform a system update), was still
stored in the command history, so, simply using the upward arrow (as
opposed to, I think it is named, the up arrow; the ^ character), to go
back through the command history, at the command line, brought the
compound command back, for reuse, for subsequent system updates.

Regarding the problem that I encountered with the last update (not
associated with the version upgrade to 20.10, from 20.04 - that needs
to be emphasised, for clarity), with wifi access to the Internet, I am
still investigating it; it may have been coincidental, as, in
switching to my secondary modem using the same 4G carrier, it is
working okay. I had tried to minimise usage of the secondary wifi
modem router, to try to avoid interference with, and, therefore,
disruption to, the wifi data uploading via the Internet, of my
domestic rooftop photovoltaic system inverter, the data output of
which, I record daily, for monitoring its performance, via
screenshots.

I do not know how all of this works, with Ubuntu Studio, in terms of
version upgrades, but, I tend to regard the version upgrades, much the
same as normal system updates (apart from for my 16.04 system, as I
regard the versions after 16.04, to be significant downgrades from
16.04), in that I just perform them without doing anything to the
existing system, to adapt to them. With kernel (and associated
packages - it usually totals about 70MB) updates, I tend to leave them
until I get a system crash or something, due to having to reboot, and
the consequential day or so, taken up, in trying to get the system
restored to its status before the kernel updates.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After recent updates display and wi-fi is lost

ubuntu-users mailing list


On Monday, December 7, 2020, 11:05:48 PM GMT+2, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 07/12/2020, Tuukka Härkönen via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>    On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 3:13:14 AM GMT+2, Bret Busby
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  I performed an upgrade in the last twelve hours, on a 20.10 computer,
> and, before the upgrade was completed, I had been getting download
> speeds of up to 15MB/s, and, after the upgrade, the computer is
> struggling to get 200B/s, and has been repeatedly timing out.
>
> The computer is using wifi, and, I have tried with different devices,
> with different carriers, to access the Internet. After the upgrade,
> trying to access the Internet, is like trying to run in neck deep
> porridge.
>
> My 16.04 system is accessing the Internet okay.
>
> The Internet access problem of the 20.10 system, is compounded by the
> aspect that, if a patch becomes available, if the computer can not
> access the Internet sufficiently to download the patch, the patch and
> any other fixes, become inaccessible.
>
>
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> Hi Bret
> I can't offer you any solution or suggestion, but as I was thinking about
> updating to 20.10 from 20.04 at some point it is interesting to read others
> experiences. Did you update from 20.04 and if so did you have to install all
> the applications again? Or did it all work when just copy pasting the "my"
> folder into the new installation like it's advised on at least Ubuntu Studio
> distro site? I don't know how the installation instructions vary between
> different distros.
>
> Best regards
> Tuukka
>

Hello.

I strongly recommend upgrading from 20.04 to 20.10.

I found 20.04 to be quite buggy, and, 20.10 was what 20.04.1 should
have been - a bug fix release

I have found 20.10 much better than 20.04.

For the upgrading, I changed the Software Updater setting (Software
Updater -> Settings -> Updates option "Notify me of a new Ubuntu
version" from "For long-term support versions" to "For any new
version", then closed the Software Updater, and ran it, and, when it
displayed the message worded like "You are running 20.04. A new
version, 20.10 is available.", I selected the "Upgrade now" option,
rather than the "Okay" option (the "Okay" option just indicates
acknowledgement of the message that a later version is available), and
then, it commenced the upgrade to the newer version.

All applications were upgraded as appropriate, and, no files or
folders were needed to be copied; it upgraded the 20.04 installation
to the 20.10 installation, and, no configuration files needed to be
copied to the new version installation. Even the compound update
command, that has previously been discussed (it contains about four
commands, in a single command, to perform a system update), was still
stored in the command history, so, simply using the upward arrow (as
opposed to, I think it is named, the up arrow; the ^ character), to go
back through the command history, at the command line, brought the
compound command back, for reuse, for subsequent system updates.

Regarding the problem that I encountered with the last update (not
associated with the version upgrade to 20.10, from 20.04 - that needs
to be emphasised, for clarity), with wifi access to the Internet, I am
still investigating it; it may have been coincidental, as, in
switching to my secondary modem using the same 4G carrier, it is
working okay. I had tried to minimise usage of the secondary wifi
modem router, to try to avoid interference with, and, therefore,
disruption to, the wifi data uploading via the Internet, of my
domestic rooftop photovoltaic system inverter, the data output of
which, I record daily, for monitoring its performance, via
screenshots.

I do not know how all of this works, with Ubuntu Studio, in terms of
version upgrades, but, I tend to regard the version upgrades, much the
same as normal system updates (apart from for my 16.04 system, as I
regard the versions after 16.04, to be significant downgrades from
16.04), in that I just perform them without doing anything to the
existing system, to adapt to them. With kernel (and associated
packages - it usually totals about 70MB) updates, I tend to leave them
until I get a system crash or something, due to having to reboot, and
the consequential day or so, taken up, in trying to get the system
restored to its status before the kernel updates.


--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

Hi Bret

in this case Ubuntu Studio will change it's desktop to KDE Plasma in 20.10 so the installation must be done from the scratch. I'm hesitant going that route yet, so I may stick with the current system as it's such a pain to have everything more or less functioning. Even now there are few things that bothers me like the external audio interface goes mute after few seconds being idle. And if I connect an instrument to the direct inputs I can't use it unless some audio comes in from the USB route as well. If someone have any ideas to solve that I'm happy to hear. In Ask Ubuntu someone had similar issues related to some power saving feature, but I could not make any chances to the TLP in regards to audio.


Best regards

-Tuukka


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users