After update, login loop

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
My assistant was working on the laptop when a update popped up.
She said it was just an update so I said allow .. it was a upgrade.
So my 16.04 went to 17.10. What a mess. Now though the login
screen is stuck in a loop. Doing some research this must have been
somewhat of an issue because I found lots of posts on it. None of those
solutions are working. The first thing they say to do is Ctl+Alt+(F1
or F3) to get into login terminal. That doesnt work at all.

Suggestions?
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Colin Law


On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, 19:34 Wade Smart, <[hidden email]> wrote:
My assistant was working on the laptop when a update popped up.
She said it was just an update so I said allow .. it was a upgrade.
So my 16.04 went to 17.10. What a mess. Now though the login
screen is stuck in a loop. Doing some research this must have been
somewhat of an issue because I found lots of posts on it. None of those
solutions are working. The first thing they say to do is Ctl+Alt+(F1
or F3) to get into login terminal. That doesnt work at all.

What do you mean by stuck in a loop?

Colin


Suggestions?
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
Login screen comes up.
Put in your password.
Screen reloads the login screen.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, 19:34 Wade Smart, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My assistant was working on the laptop when a update popped up.
>> She said it was just an update so I said allow .. it was a upgrade.
>> So my 16.04 went to 17.10. What a mess. Now though the login
>> screen is stuck in a loop. Doing some research this must have been
>> somewhat of an issue because I found lots of posts on it. None of those
>> solutions are working. The first thing they say to do is Ctl+Alt+(F1
>> or F3) to get into login terminal. That doesnt work at all.
>
>
> What do you mean by stuck in a loop?
>
> Colin
>
>>
>> Suggestions?
>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2005
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

MR ZenWiz
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Login screen comes up.
> Put in your password.
> Screen reloads the login screen.
>
I've had this happen before.  Usually it was a problem with my home
directory not being loadable or accessible (it's encrypted, which can
cause some strange problems).

Are you sure you have the password right?

Have you tried to login as root or any other user?

Have you tried single-user mode to fish around for trouble?  (I forget
the exact syntax, but it's available in many places - google it.)

HTH,

MR

PS: Please observe the customs here and bottom-post.  :-)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Wade Smart-2
On 3 July 2018 at 20:45, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Login screen comes up.
> Put in your password.
> Screen reloads the login screen.

The login is crashing and sending you back to the login screen.
I presume it is actually 18.04 that it has upgraded to.  Click on the
settings cog by the sign in button on the login screen and tell us
what options there are.  Make sure the one labelled Ubuntu is
selected.

If it already was then try the other one(s).

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 22:35, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The login is crashing and sending you back to the login screen.
> I presume it is actually 18.04 that it has upgraded to.  Click on the
> settings cog by the sign in button on the login screen and tell us
> what options there are.  Make sure the one labelled Ubuntu is
> selected.
>
> If it already was then try the other one(s).

Colin beat me to it. Including about it being 18.04 not 15.10. 15.10
was a short-term release and it should never upgrade *from* an LTS to
a non-LTS. However, you shouldn't have been offered 18.04 until
18.04-1 comes out.

Anway... What he said is good advice. You probably are getting Wayland
and it's not working or something like that.

Your old Unity session should still be available from that login screen, too.


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
In reply to this post by Colin Law
Colin, I was on 16.04 and it only upgraded to 17.10.
It says so bottom left corner of the screen.
Options are:
Ubuntu with the ubuntu logo to the left.
Ubuntu on Xorg - no logo
Ubuntu on Xorg - logo to the left
Unity (Default)



MR, no other account on the laptop.
Yes pw is correct.
Std install for hd, no enc.


--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 July 2018 at 20:45, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Login screen comes up.
>> Put in your password.
>> Screen reloads the login screen.
>
> The login is crashing and sending you back to the login screen.
> I presume it is actually 18.04 that it has upgraded to.  Click on the
> settings cog by the sign in button on the login screen and tell us
> what options there are.  Make sure the one labelled Ubuntu is
> selected.
>
> If it already was then try the other one(s).
>
> Colin
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
I dont know where you saw 15.10 but I didnt write that.

Unity?Ok.. Ill check that and try to login.
Thanks
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 22:35, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The login is crashing and sending you back to the login screen.
>> I presume it is actually 18.04 that it has upgraded to.  Click on the
>> settings cog by the sign in button on the login screen and tell us
>> what options there are.  Make sure the one labelled Ubuntu is
>> selected.
>>
>> If it already was then try the other one(s).
>
> Colin beat me to it. Including about it being 18.04 not 15.10. 15.10
> was a short-term release and it should never upgrade *from* an LTS to
> a non-LTS. However, you shouldn't have been offered 18.04 until
> 18.04-1 comes out.
>
> Anway... What he said is good advice. You probably are getting Wayland
> and it's not working or something like that.
>
> Your old Unity session should still be available from that login screen, too.
>
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 22:49, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I dont know where you saw 15.10 but I didnt write that.

Sorry. 17.10, not 15.10. The years fly by so fast, I no longer know
which one it is...

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
:D

Clicked on the Unity and it does finally login but freezes up
as soon as you try to click on anything.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 22:49, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I dont know where you saw 15.10 but I didnt write that.
>
> Sorry. 17.10, not 15.10. The years fly by so fast, I no longer know
> which one it is...
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 22:56, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> :D
>
> Clicked on the Unity and it does finally login but freezes up
> as soon as you try to click on anything.

OK. That's progress!

It might be a video driver issue. However, without being able to log
in, it's going to be hard to troubleshoot...

The login options should look a bit like this:

https://itsfoss.com/switch-xorg-wayland/

But as it's an upgrade, with the additional option of Unity.

The important thing is, try all of them, one by one, and see if any of
them work.

The 2nd tip here may also work:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/223501/ubuntu-gets-stuck-in-a-login-loop





--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Oliver Grawert
In reply to this post by Wade Smart-2
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2018, 15:46 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
> Ubuntu on Xorg - logo to the left

pick this one, thats the new Ubuntu session in 17.10 ... 

i assume you once allowed LTS to non-LTS updates somehow in the
settings which got you to 17.10 as this is the last supported non-LTS 

this also means you skipped two releases and that can definitely cause
issues, only release to release and LTS to LTS paths get actually
tested.

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
When I select anything other than Unity it will not login.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 4:11 PM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2018, 15:46 -0500 schrieb Wade Smart:
>> Ubuntu on Xorg - logo to the left
>
> pick this one, thats the new Ubuntu session in 17.10 ...
>
> i assume you once allowed LTS to non-LTS updates somehow in the
> settings which got you to 17.10 as this is the last supported non-LTS
>
> this also means you skipped two releases and that can definitely cause
> issues, only release to release and LTS to LTS paths get actually
> tested.
>
> ciao
>         oli
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 23:17, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I select anything other than Unity it will not login.

Try the xauthority tip on that link -- it seems to be a common problem
and it's one of the easiest to fix. You don't need to log in --
Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F6 should get you a text screen from which you can log
in in text mode.

If Oliver is right and it has jumped two versions, then maybe the best
bet would be to go the final step to 18.04, which is the current LTS.

17.10 was the first version with GNOME and Wayland and so didn't get
as much testing as 18.04.

Here's how:

«
To upgrade on a server system:

Install  update-manager-core  if it is not already installed.

Launch the upgrade tool with the command  sudo do-release-upgrade

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically
re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.
»



--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
When I login (still under Unity)  I can click on ONLY the
Files button. All others freeze.

That link from above, that is where I started before coming
here to get help. F1 to F6 and even beyond does nothing.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 4:35 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 23:17, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When I select anything other than Unity it will not login.
>
> Try the xauthority tip on that link -- it seems to be a common problem
> and it's one of the easiest to fix. You don't need to log in --
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F6 should get you a text screen from which you can log
> in in text mode.
>
> If Oliver is right and it has jumped two versions, then maybe the best
> bet would be to go the final step to 18.04, which is the current LTS.
>
> 17.10 was the first version with GNOME and Wayland and so didn't get
> as much testing as 18.04.
>
> Here's how:
>
> «
> To upgrade on a server system:
>
> Install  update-manager-core  if it is not already installed.
>
> Launch the upgrade tool with the command  sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> Follow the on-screen instructions.
>
> Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically
> re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.
> »
>
>
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 23:44, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  F1 to F6 and even beyond does nothing.

You need to hold down Ctrl and Alt at the same time. It should work
even on the login screen, though -- you don't need to wait for it to
log in and freeze or loop. From a fresh boot, as soon as the login
options appear, try Ctrl+Alt+F2 or Ctrl+Alt+F3.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
Yes, I know how to hold them all down at once.
It does not do anything at all.
I tried from the moment I power on right up until
the login screen. At no point does that key combination
do anything.

I tried Ctrl+ALT+(F1 on up) to see if any key combination
would work and nothing did.


--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 23:44, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  F1 to F6 and even beyond does nothing.
>
> You need to hold down Ctrl and Alt at the same time. It should work
> even on the login screen, though -- you don't need to wait for it to
> log in and freeze or loop. From a fresh boot, as soon as the login
> options appear, try Ctrl+Alt+F2 or Ctrl+Alt+F3.
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Liam Proven
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 13:30, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I know how to hold them all down at once.
> It does not do anything at all.
> I tried from the moment I power on right up until
> the login screen. At no point does that key combination
> do anything.
>
> I tried Ctrl+ALT+(F1 on up) to see if any key combination
> would work and nothing did.

That's really strange. This is a standard Linux feature, unless it has
been specifically disabled. It should work on all Linux machines,
whether or not they have a GUI installed.

It even worked on SCO Xenix when I started out 30 years ago -- I think
it was Ctrl+ number 1/2/3/4 there.

I presume that you're replying to the list from a different machine.
If it's running Linux, you can try the Ctrl-Alt-F1/2/3/4/5/6 thing on
it. Should work.

It switches between "virtual consoles". Console 7, i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F7,
is the one the GUI runs on and switching to that should show the login
screen.

Once you're at a text console, you don't need Ctrl any more -- Alt+F1
etc. should switch.

It will only work when Linux is up and running in multiuser mode -- it
won't work in the GRUB boot menu, or early in the boot process, but
once the machine is sitting at the login screen, it should be there.

Unfortunately Debian (Ubuntu's parent) removed a very useful feature,
called runlevels. Most Unixes do this and let you choose from
single-user, multiuser, multiuser with networking, and graphical modes
(plus 0, i.e. off, and 6, i.e. reboot). Without it, there's no way to
get online with a broken GUI and update the machine.

The only one left in Debian/Ubuntu is single-user mode. Here's how:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/132965/how-do-i-boot-into-single-user-mode-from-grub

It might let you fix xauthority...



--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Wade Smart-2
Yes, Im on a different (ubuntu ) machine.
After you login you cant -- say... right click on the desktop
either. Thankfully most data is saved to our server so Im
just wiping it out and reinstalling.


--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005


On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 6:39 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 13:30, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I know how to hold them all down at once.
>> It does not do anything at all.
>> I tried from the moment I power on right up until
>> the login screen. At no point does that key combination
>> do anything.
>>
>> I tried Ctrl+ALT+(F1 on up) to see if any key combination
>> would work and nothing did.
>
> That's really strange. This is a standard Linux feature, unless it has
> been specifically disabled. It should work on all Linux machines,
> whether or not they have a GUI installed.
>
> It even worked on SCO Xenix when I started out 30 years ago -- I think
> it was Ctrl+ number 1/2/3/4 there.
>
> I presume that you're replying to the list from a different machine.
> If it's running Linux, you can try the Ctrl-Alt-F1/2/3/4/5/6 thing on
> it. Should work.
>
> It switches between "virtual consoles". Console 7, i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F7,
> is the one the GUI runs on and switching to that should show the login
> screen.
>
> Once you're at a text console, you don't need Ctrl any more -- Alt+F1
> etc. should switch.
>
> It will only work when Linux is up and running in multiuser mode -- it
> won't work in the GRUB boot menu, or early in the boot process, but
> once the machine is sitting at the login screen, it should be there.
>
> Unfortunately Debian (Ubuntu's parent) removed a very useful feature,
> called runlevels. Most Unixes do this and let you choose from
> single-user, multiuser, multiuser with networking, and graphical modes
> (plus 0, i.e. off, and 6, i.e. reboot). Without it, there's no way to
> get online with a broken GUI and update the machine.
>
> The only one left in Debian/Ubuntu is single-user mode. Here's how:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/132965/how-do-i-boot-into-single-user-mode-from-grub
>
> It might let you fix xauthority...
>
>
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: After update, login loop

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On 4 July 2018 at 12:39, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
> It switches between "virtual consoles". Console 7, i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F7,
> is the one the GUI runs on and switching to that should show the login
> screen.

From my experiments It seems that on 18.04 the GUI runs on F1.  This
confused me initially.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12