Airplane option in grub

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Airplane option in grub

Bart Vullings (OpsVentus)
Hello all,

My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
start the computer inside an airplane.

Cheers,
Bart Vullings.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Jeroen van Splunder
Op zo, 15-01-2006 te 15:30 +0100, schreef Bart Vullings (OpsVentus):
> My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
> wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
> start the computer inside an airplane.
Is wireless a problem in an aeroplane? I thought some flights even
provide wireless internet connections during flight.
--
Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]>

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Øivind Hoel
On 1/15/06, Jeroen van Splunder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op zo, 15-01-2006 te 15:30 +0100, schreef Bart Vullings (OpsVentus):
> > My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
> > wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
> > start the computer inside an airplane.
> Is wireless a problem in an aeroplane? I thought some flights even
> provide wireless internet connections during flight.

It's not actually a problem (mobile phones, wifi, etc), but rather a
safety precaution most carriers impose on their flights due to the
fact that no real verifiable results on how these devices can affect
plane instruments have been provided by recent reports. AFAIK, this is
just a better-safe-than-sorry policy where it exists.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Ross Clark
In reply to this post by Jeroen van Splunder
My experience is that you're okay using a laptop on an aeroplane as long as its not on during take-off and landing.

Ross
Op zo, 15-01-2006 te 15:30 +0100, schreef Bart Vullings (OpsVentus):
  
My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures 
wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to 
start the computer inside an airplane.
    
Is wireless a problem in an aeroplane? I thought some flights even
provide wireless internet connections during flight.
  


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Bugzilla from ulrik.mikaelsson@gmail.com
Interesting point, I think this is the general policy in aircraft
carriers in Sweden.

For instance, my Sony Ericsson K608i has a built-in MP3-player. It
also features a mode that allows startup in non-transmitting mode to
use the MP3-player without powering on any RF-devices.

I'd say it's a good idea. It may also be used in other radio-free
areas such as hospitals and similar.

It should be fairly simple to implement for anyone familiar with
debian packaging. So Bart, why don't you simply go ahead and create
some packages that defines some cmdline-options and configures grub
accordingly?

Hint: look at /etc/networks/interfaces, and /proc/cmdline. Should be a
good place to start.

Good initiative
/ Ulrik

2006/1/15, Ross Clark <[hidden email]>:

>  My experience is that you're okay using a laptop on an aeroplane as long as
> its not on during take-off and landing.
>
>  Ross
>
>
>  Op zo, 15-01-2006 te 15:30 +0100, schreef Bart Vullings (OpsVentus):
>
>
>  My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
> wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
> start the computer inside an airplane.
>
>  Is wireless a problem in an aeroplane? I thought some flights even
> provide wireless internet connections during flight.
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
>
>
>

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Benjamin Montgomery-2
In reply to this post by Bart Vullings (OpsVentus)
Bart Vullings (OpsVentus) wrote:
> My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
> wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
> start the computer inside an airplane.

Can we assume that by not loading the appropriate modules, that the
radios aren't turned on?  I'm fairly sure that the bluetooth radio is on
in my thinkpad regardless of if a driver is loaded or not.  It has a Fn
key combination to turn off the bluetooth.  Is it the same for wifi?

--
Benjamin Montgomery       http://www.montynet.org
[hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (264 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airplane option in grub

Daniel Robitaille-2
> > My question: can we make an option in GRUB for laptop's which ensures
> > wireless network and bluetooth is not loaded? So it will be safe to
> > start the computer inside an airplane.
>
> Can we assume that by not loading the appropriate modules, that the
> radios aren't turned on?  I'm fairly sure that the bluetooth radio is on
> in my thinkpad regardless of if a driver is loaded or not.  It has a Fn
> key combination to turn off the bluetooth.  Is it the same for wifi?

my Dell laptop has a Fn key to switch off the Wifi.  I wonder if
that's enough, or the computer still emit  something, but simply
doesn't use it for its networking.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aeroplane option in grub

Paul Sladen-2
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > > can we make a ["flight-mode"] option in GRUB for laptop's
> > the bluetooth radio is on in my thinkpad regardless of if a driver is
> > loaded or not.  It has a Fn key combination to turn off the bluetooth.

For ThinkPads the Fn-F5 combinations toggle wireless power-state and
Bluetooth virtual plug/unplug at the same time;  but see following comment.

> my Dell laptop has a Fn key to switch off the Wifi.

Again, the Fn key should call '/etc/acpi-support/wireless.sh' and kill the
card that way.  (This power-saving is apparently broken upstream in the
kernel for current dapper).  It should work otherwise.

You'll need to check what the Dell does for Bluetooth.

        -Paul
--
This country is covered in white fluffy snow.  Helsinki, FI


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aeroplane option in grub

Trent Lloyd
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:12:35AM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > > > can we make a ["flight-mode"] option in GRUB for laptop's
> > > the bluetooth radio is on in my thinkpad regardless of if a driver is
> > > loaded or not.  It has a Fn key combination to turn off the bluetooth.
>
> For ThinkPads the Fn-F5 combinations toggle wireless power-state and
> Bluetooth virtual plug/unplug at the same time;  but see following comment.
>
> > my Dell laptop has a Fn key to switch off the Wifi.
>
> Again, the Fn key should call '/etc/acpi-support/wireless.sh' and kill the
> card that way.  (This power-saving is apparently broken upstream in the
> kernel for current dapper).  It should work otherwise.

I have two dells, for the bluetooth it actually unplugs the USB device,
i.e. i guess it powers it down.

The wireless (ipw2200 here) seems ot have a 'hardware radio switch' that
the driver is aware of, if its off sometimes you'll see info in dmesg
about it when you try to do things.

Fn+F2 does both at the same time.

Trent

>
> You'll need to check what the Dell does for Bluetooth.
>
> -Paul
> --
> This country is covered in white fluffy snow.  Helsinki, FI
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

--
Trent Lloyd <[hidden email]>
Bur.st Networking Inc.

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aeroplane option in grub

John Moser-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



Trent Lloyd wrote:
> I have two dells

Doesn't that hurt?
- --
All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.

    Creative brains are a valuable, limited resource. They shouldn't be
    wasted on re-inventing the wheel when there are so many fascinating
    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDzw9NhDd4aOud5P8RAkXcAJ9Rj9Wu3hhd26+S4VKG7ZXnpME2vwCgkQ8g
jCth42lxnvObb7qaXrk+Qmw=
=tCij
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Aeroplane option in grub

Bart Vullings (OpsVentus)
In reply to this post by Trent Lloyd
Yes there are laptop's with hardware switches but there are also laptop
which don't have this. For those I think it's nice to have this option.
In the IRC channel where I discused this paople told me, as long as you
don't load the driver the hardware dosn't send radio-signals.

Now my sugestion is: Someone needs to call/mail hardware producers if
there hardware won't send out radiosignals if there not asked something.
Someone else try to make a boot which disables the drivers.

I can call/mail the producers, but as far as the boot option go's, I'm
not formilliar with that part of Linux. So if someone wants to help me
with that. Then I'll open a wiki to get started with this.

Cheers,
Bart Vullings.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel