Anaconda on Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Adam Funk-4
Hi,

Is it possible to install anaconda on a current Ubuntu server
installation on a Pi 4?  (The Pi 4 can do a 64-bit OS but uses ARM
rather than x86).

Thanks.

Re: Anaconda on Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Liam Proven
On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 12:46, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install anaconda on a current Ubuntu server
> installation on a Pi 4?  (The Pi 4 can do a 64-bit OS but uses ARM
> rather than x86).

Does this help?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61508312/installing-anaconda-on-raspberry-pi-4-with-ubuntu-20-04

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On 2020-12-16, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 12:46, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to install anaconda on a current Ubuntu server
>> installation on a Pi 4?  (The Pi 4 can do a 64-bit OS but uses ARM
>> rather than x86).
>
> Does this help?
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61508312/installing-anaconda-on-raspberry-pi-4-with-ubuntu-20-04

Well, it indirectly suggests that the answer is "no", since I can't
find any scripts that match that description!

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 10:32, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, it indirectly suggests that the answer is "no", since I can't
> find any scripts that match that description!

Um. I am not sure why you are talking about scripts, TBH.

This is a volunteer-run list where Ubuntu community members try to
help each other out. We are not Ubuntu staff, although some Ubuntu
staff members do sometimes post here -- but it's not part of their
job.

AFAICS Anaconda, whatever it is, is not part of Ubuntu.

I don't know anything at all about Anaconda. To me, an anaconda is a
kind of snake, and that's all I know! Google suggests that it is
something to do with Python coding but I have no knowledge at all
about that.

So, you seemed to me to be asking "how can I install Anaconda on
64-bit ARM Ubuntu".

Is that correct? If so, I pointed you to some helpful comments about
installing it or a related product on 64-bit ARM Ubuntu.

If not, then what are you asking? Are you asking "Does Anaconda run on
64-bit ARM Ubuntu?" If so, you are asking in the wrong place. I don't
know anything at all about Anaconda. I don't know if anyone else on
the list does, but if they did, they would probably have volunteered
an answer.

AFAICS Anaconda is not a FOSS product, but it does have a free
version. It may be freemium. I can't tell.

From a quick look at the Anaconda website, the freeware product is
only available as binary installers, for Windows, MacOS and Linux on
x86 & POWER. So the answer to "can I run any of those on a Raspberry
Pi?" is a firm *no*.

There is also apparently some freeware thing called Miniconda.
https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html

I don't know what that is, what it does, whether it's any use to you,
but again I only see Win, Mac & Linuc on x86 + POWER downloads. So,
contrary to the Stack Exchange post, I don't see an ARM version and
it's a binary so I think you are SOL.

However, that SE post said that there _was_ an ARM version. So if you
want to know more about that, go ask them!

I'm sorry but that is about all I can tell you. :-(

On 2020-12-17, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 10:32, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, it indirectly suggests that the answer is "no", since I can't
>> find any scripts that match that description!
>
> Um. I am not sure why you are talking about scripts, TBH.
>
> This is a volunteer-run list where Ubuntu community members try to
> help each other out. We are not Ubuntu staff, although some Ubuntu
> staff members do sometimes post here -- but it's not part of their
> job.
>
> AFAICS Anaconda, whatever it is, is not part of Ubuntu.
>
> I don't know anything at all about Anaconda. To me, an anaconda is a
> kind of snake, and that's all I know! Google suggests that it is
> something to do with Python coding but I have no knowledge at all
> about that.
>
> So, you seemed to me to be asking "how can I install Anaconda on
> 64-bit ARM Ubuntu".
>
> Is that correct? If so, I pointed you to some helpful comments about
> installing it or a related product on 64-bit ARM Ubuntu.
>
> If not, then what are you asking? Are you asking "Does Anaconda run on
> 64-bit ARM Ubuntu?" If so, you are asking in the wrong place. I don't
> know anything at all about Anaconda. I don't know if anyone else on
> the list does, but if they did, they would probably have volunteered
> an answer.
>
> AFAICS Anaconda is not a FOSS product, but it does have a free
> version. It may be freemium. I can't tell.
>
> From a quick look at the Anaconda website, the freeware product is
> only available as binary installers, for Windows, MacOS and Linux on
> x86 & POWER. So the answer to "can I run any of those on a Raspberry
> Pi?" is a firm *no*.
>
> There is also apparently some freeware thing called Miniconda.
> https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html
>
> I don't know what that is, what it does, whether it's any use to you,
> but again I only see Win, Mac & Linuc on x86 + POWER downloads. So,
> contrary to the Stack Exchange post, I don't see an ARM version and
> it's a binary so I think you are SOL.
>
> However, that SE post said that there _was_ an ARM version. So if you
> want to know more about that, go ask them!
>
> I'm sorry but that is about all I can tell you. :-(

That's pretty good, thanks.

Re: Anaconda on Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Oliver Grawert
hi
Am Mittwoch, den 13.01.2021, 15:47 +0000 schrieb Adam Funk:

> That's pretty good, thanks.

there is:

https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda-latest-Linux-armv7l.sh

which seems to be a 32bit arm version (armhf, so you need a matching
installation) and is from 2015 ...

ciao
        oli