Announce: Unofficial Realtime Kernel Repository (full rt_preempt)

Announce: Unofficial Realtime Kernel Repository (full rt_preempt)

Carlo Capocasa
Dear Ubuntu Devs,

TL;DR Unsupported time saving alternative for those who would compile an rt
kernel, but no Ubuntuization

Instructions:   http://capocasa.net/realtime-kernels
Archive:        http://deb.capocasa.net/rt

I have created a repository with unofficial vanilla kernels configured like
the nearest Ubuntu kernel and patched with rt_preempt.

Rationale: Nothing else will do if you want sub 3ms realtime audio synthesis.

I am sure that full rt_preempt kernels have been abandoned by the Ubuntu
kernel team for a reason. This repository is strictly for situations where
the usual requirements to an official Ubuntu kernel don't apply. The
canonical use-case is a physically inaccessible air gapped machine under
control of a single user, who is okay with certain functionality
limitations. No attempts will be made to integrate Ubuntu patches or provide
security updates outside the scope of this limited use case.

Having said that, I have been using them behind a firewall as my primary
desktop kernels since 2012 and I have no complaints.

I will most likely be maintaining these for 16.04.1, 18.04.1 and further, so
this announce seemed in order.

I hope I have taken sufficient precautions to enable reasonably safe use of
these kernels, and I would be happy to hear further opinions.

Carlo

Re: Announce: Unofficial Realtime Kernel Repository (full rt_preempt)

Kaj Ailomaa-2
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 03:48 PM, Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> I will most likely be maintaining these for 16.04.1, 18.04.1 and further,
> so
> this announce seemed in order.
>
> I hope I have taken sufficient precautions to enable reasonably safe use
> of
> these kernels, and I would be happy to hear further opinions.

Where do you keep the source code for this kernel?

I'd like to take a look and see if we in the Ubuntu Studio kernel team
(very small team) can help with QA and possibly maintenance for this
kernel. I'm the maintainer for linux-lowlatency, and have some
experience in the Ubuntu kernel maintenance procedure - also the
realtime kernel will benefit from more machines when doing tests - which
the Ubuntu Studio team could provide.

/Kaj Ailomaa - Ubuntu Studio project leader

Re: Announce: Unofficial Realtime Kernel Repository (full rt_preempt)

Javier Lopez-2
I'm also interested in the procedure, I've been packaging a -ck kernel
for a while but I've been having some issues lately.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/3/333 , fakeroot make-kpkg is broken in
3.14

Cheers

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 02:16 PM, Javier Lopez wrote:
> I'm also interested in the procedure, I've been packaging a -ck kernel
> for a while but I've been having some issues lately.
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/3/333 , fakeroot make-kpkg is broken in
> 3.14
>
> Cheers

I might not be of big help there since my experience is more in a
bureaucratic sense. Also, I'm personally mostly interested in kernels
that improve performance for audio production, which is a possible
scenario with a -rt kernel.