Announcing Edubuntu 12.10

Stéphane Graber-2
Hello everyone,

The Edubuntu team is very pleased to announce that Edubuntu 12.10 is now
out and available for download!

Edubuntu 12.10 is a regular release bringing updated software and a few
improvements.

For larger deployments and environments where a stable, well tested
system is preferred, the Edubuntu development team strongly recommends
staying on the Long Term Support releases (current release is 12.04.1).

LTSP users should also remain on Edubuntu 12.04 LTS as 12.10 is lacking
Unity support for LTSP and has been reported to be much slower than 12.04.

More information about the release can be found on our website:
http://www.edubuntu.org/news/12.10-release

Documentation can be found here:
http://www.edubuntu.org/documentation/

And the DVD images can be found at:
 - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/12.10/release/
 - http://www.stgraber.org/download/releases/edubuntu/12.10/

As usual, you may test Edubuntu without needing to download the DVD
image by using our WebLive service:
http://www.edubuntu.org/weblive

With the release of our new website a few of months ago, we
introduced our deployments page, used to keep track of where Edubuntu is
being used around the world.
After installing or upgrading your Edubuntu system, please take a minute
to tell us how you're using it and where you are:
http://www.edubuntu.org/deployments

Enjoy Edubuntu 12.10!

--
Stéphane Graber
On behalf of the Edubuntu release team

Re: Announcing Edubuntu 12.10

Stéphane Graber-2
On 10/22/2012 09:48 AM, Matt Johnson wrote:

>> ________________________________

Mostly Unity, though 12.10 also saw the inclusion of quite a few desktop
software depending on clutter which in turn requires 3D acceleration to
work.
For those, the thin client will use llvmpipe to do 3D acceleration in
software, leading to pretty high CPU usage on the server side which can
easily slow down all your clients.

So unless you really need a lot of new software that can only be found
in 12.10, I'd strongly recommend using 12.04.1.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer