Announcing Edubuntu 13.04

Stéphane Graber-2
Hello everyone,

The Edubuntu team is very pleased to announce that Edubuntu 13.04 is now
out and available for download!

Edubuntu 13.04 is a regular release bringing updated software and a few
improvements.

For larger deployments and environments where a stable, well tested
system is preferred, the Edubuntu development team strongly recommends
staying on the Long Term Support releases (current release is 12.04.2).

More information about the release can be found on our website:
http://www.edubuntu.org/news/13.04-release

Documentation can be found here:
http://www.edubuntu.org/documentation/

And the DVD images can be found at:
 - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/13.04/release/
 - http://www.stgraber.org/download/releases/edubuntu/13.04/

After installing or upgrading your Edubuntu system, please take a minute
to tell us how you're using it and where you are:
http://www.edubuntu.org/deployments

Enjoy Edubuntu 13.04!

--
Stéphane Graber
On behalf of the Edubuntu release team

Re: Announcing Edubuntu 13.04

Bruno Coudoin-2

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this new release.

I am disapointed to see that GCompris has not been updated on Ubuntu
since 12.01.

The GCompris development team made a major release at the end of last
year named 12.11. It includes about 10 new outstanding activities that
were developped by students during a Google Summer of Code. You can see
the release notes here:
http://gcompris.net/Release-12-10

This is sad Ubuntu users won't have an easy way to access this work
despite the fact that I am developping on Ubuntu. Windows and MacOSX
users have fun with this version since last november.

Bruno.

Re: Announcing Edubuntu 13.04

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)-2
Hi Bruno

On 30/04/2013 13:37, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> I am disapointed to see that GCompris has not been updated on Ubuntu
> since 12.01.
>
> The GCompris development team made a major release at the end of last
> year named 12.11. It includes about 10 new outstanding activities that
> were developped by students during a Google Summer of Code. You can see
> the release notes here:
> http://gcompris.net/Release-12-10
>
> This is sad Ubuntu users won't have an easy way to access this work
> despite the fact that I am developping on Ubuntu. Windows and MacOSX
> users have fun with this version since last november.

Thanks for the feedback!

GCompris is a great software package that we certainly value. We had
some big parts that we worked on building up to the 14.04 release goals,
so we did a community call for the packaging parts for this release:
http://edubuntu.org/2012-11-23/13.03-call-for-packaging-help

A few people did respond who were interested, but life happened and it
didn't quite work out.

I still think it's worth while having the latest GCompris available for
both 12.04 and 13.04 users in a PPA. Since it's early on in the 13.10
release, we'll make a point of having it updated!

Since the new Debian release is out, I'll at least poke the debian
maintainer too, perhaps we could do it right and do it in Debian, that
way all the other Debian derivatives will get it too.

-Jonathan