Another problem upgrading to 19.10

Thomas Tanghus
Hi,

I was upgrading Kubuntu 19.04=>19.10, and it got stuck on "Setting up
libkf5textwidgets-data (5.62.0-0ubuntu1)". After a couple of hours I Ctrl-
C'ed it and ran "sudo dpkg --configure -a".

This worked well until it didn't anymore...

Now I'm stuck with a semi-working system and the mess below. I'm afraid to
break stuff more than it already is, so does anybody have an idea how to
proceed from here?

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for thomas:
Setting up virtualbox-dkms (6.0.14-dfsg-1) ...
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Removing old virtualbox-6.0.14 DKMS files...

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 6.0.14
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Building for 5.0.0-27-generic 5.3.0-19-generic
Building initial module for 5.0.0-27-generic
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.0.0-27-generic is not
supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic
(x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/6.0.14/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package virtualbox-dkms (--configure):
 installed virtualbox-dkms package post-installation script subprocess
returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox:
 virtualbox depends on virtualbox-dkms (>= 6.0.14-dfsg-1) | virtualbox-
source (>= 6.0.14-dfsg-1) | virtualbox-modules; however:
  Package virtualbox-dkms is not configured yet.
  Package virtualbox-source is not installed.
  Package virtualbox-modules is not installed.
  Package virtualbox-dkms which provides virtualbox-modules is not
configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package virtualbox (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox-qt:
 virtualbox-qt depends on virtualbox (= 6.0.14-dfsg-1); however:
  Package virtualbox is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package virtualbox-qt (--configure):
 virtualbox-dkms
 virtualbox
 virtualbox-qt
--

/Thomas

Re: Another problem upgrading to 19.10

Colin Law
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 08:37, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Building for 5.0.0-27-generic 5.3.0-19-generic
> Building initial module for 5.0.0-27-generic
> ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.0.0-27-generic is not
> supported

That suggests to me that you still have kernel 5.0 running, 19.10 is on 5.3.

Does
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
get you anywhere?

Colin

On onsdag den 23. oktober 2019 09.50 Colin Law wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 08:37, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Building for 5.0.0-27-generic 5.3.0-19-generic
> > Building initial module for 5.0.0-27-generic
> > ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.0.0-27-generic is
> > not
> > supported
>
> That suggests to me that you still have kernel 5.0 running, 19.10 is on
> 5.3.
Yes, I didn't want to reboot and end with a fully broken box.

> Does sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
> get you anywhere?

Sadly no, except for the same errors.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 09:36, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I'm stuck with a semi-working system and the mess below. I'm afraid to
> break stuff more than it already is, so does anybody have an idea how to
> proceed from here?

DISCLAIMER: my 19.04→19.10 upgrade failed badly too, and I had to
reboot. However it sounds like it got further than yours did. I was
trying the GNOME version, experimentally as I can't stand GNOME 3.

Anyway. Virtualbox isn't essential to a running OS. If I were you, I'd
remove (force-remove if necessary) Virtualbox -- this should leave
config etc and VMs intact -- try to fix the remainder, and then
reinstall Vbox afterwards.

If it's the sticking point, then get rid of it. Then your dpkg etc.
will probably finish fine.

If so, I'd:
* reboot
* do ``apt install -f''
* reboot
* do `` apt update ; apt full-upgrade -y"
* reboot

Then put Vbox back, then do an ``apt purge'' and ``apt clean''.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:32:05 PM CEST Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 09:36, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Now I'm stuck with a semi-working system and the mess below. I'm afraid to
> > break stuff more than it already is, so does anybody have an idea how to
> > proceed from here?
>
> DISCLAIMER: my 19.04→19.10 upgrade failed badly too, and I had to
> reboot. However it sounds like it got further than yours did. I was
> trying the GNOME version, experimentally as I can't stand GNOME 3.
>
> Anyway. Virtualbox isn't essential to a running OS. If I were you, I'd
> remove (force-remove if necessary) Virtualbox -- this should leave
> config etc and VMs intact -- try to fix the remainder, and then
> reinstall Vbox afterwards.
>
> If it's the sticking point, then get rid of it. Then your dpkg etc.
> will probably finish fine.

Seems reasonable, so i got rid of virtualbox, ran 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
which came out clean and:

 > If so, I'd:
> * reboot

Now I've got: "symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found", so square one ;)
Now I have a 19.04 live USB stick, but no idea how to proceed from here.

--
/Thomas

Re: Another problem upgrading to 19.10

Liam Proven
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 14:53, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I've got: "symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found", so square one ;)
> Now I have a 19.04 live USB stick, but no idea how to proceed from here.

Do you have or are you able to make a 19.10 bootable USB key?

That would help.

If not, the 19.04 one might.

First try the many procedures described online for reinstalling GRUB.

Secondly, you can boot your HD installation using a bootable USB. Just
hit E on the boot menu and edit the command line. Remove the
references to the initrd and root on the USB drive, and replace them
with the path to the ones on your hard disk installation.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:49:52 PM CEST Liam Proven wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 14:53, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Now I've got: "symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found", so square one ;)
> > Now I have a 19.04 live USB stick, but no idea how to proceed from here.

Yeah, I kinda got some idea what to do next, just getting tired. I've been
using GNU/Linux for 25+ years, and I'm tired of this stuff. Please tell me
other OSes are just as error prone ;)

> Do you have or are you able to make a 19.10 bootable USB key?

It just finished writing now. Now a break before continuing ;)
Thanks for the effort.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 16:45, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, I kinda got some idea what to do next, just getting tired. I've been
> using GNU/Linux for 25+ years, and I'm tired of this stuff. Please tell me
> other OSes are just as error prone ;)

I know *exactly* what you mean.

Unfortunately there is little to no money to be made from desktop
Linux. The profits are in servers.

And in mobile/touch, but tragically, Ubuntu has given up on that.

I work with openSUSE on a daily basis now. I ran it on a couple of my
own machines for a while. It's quite nice in a lot of ways, actually.
I have also been experimenting with Devuan, which is harder work -- it
would be, it's based on Debian -- but has some pleasing aspects.

More recently, though, I have read commentators who seem to agree that
the polished, well-integrated desktop title has moved on from Ubuntu,
so I've looked at some other desktop distros.

Everyone praises Linux Mint but all its desktops are Windows clones
which I don't particularly want. It has some very good touches,
though.

I am ignoring the hobbyists who like Arch and other
constantly-changing moving targets. :-)

But I had a big surprise in the last few days. I tried Deepin, in a VM
then on hardware.

It's not perfect but it is _stunning_ in polish. It's the
prettiest-looking Linux desktop I've seen in a decade+. It's got
immaculate integration, it's nicely customisable, and it seems fairly
quick. I am genuinely impressed.

It used to run very badly in VMs and it still gives a warning message.
I banished that, installed the VirtualBox drivers and 3D acceleration,
and it runs beautifully, resizable window, everything.

And on an old 4GB Thinkpad T420 it's pretty quick.

I'm very impressed.

> It just finished writing now. Now a break before continuing ;)
> Thanks for the effort.

You're very welcome. I feel your pain.

It's one reason I only run LTS releases on machines I actually need to
_use_ for stuff. It's also why I don't run GNOME on anything I need to
work.

Re: Another problem upgrading to 19.10

Paul Smith-2

On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 17:19 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> I know *exactly* what you mean.
> I work with openSUSE on a daily basis now. I ran it on a couple of my
> own machines for a while. It's quite nice in a lot of ways, actually.
> I have also been experimenting with Devuan, which is harder work -- it
> would be, it's based on Debian -- but has some pleasing aspects.

To be clear, I think Thomas is talking about support for in-place
upgrade to newer releases, not "desktop spit and polish" issues or even
from-scratch installer issues.  So I don't think this message does
address *exactly* what he means :)

The answer is, upgrade is always fraught.  I had the worst problems
upgrading MacOS on my MacBook (had one for work for a while), actually,
so even the most user-facing OS has these issues.  And I did very
little customization on that system.

There are not many Ubuntu systems out there, outside of simple VMs or
containers, which have exactly the same set of packages installed with
the same configuration.  This makes it impossible to fully test
upgrades as they might affect all users.  And the further one gets from
the "baseline" system, the harder it gets (for example, if you install
a different window system, or de-configure some systemd components, or
have some rare packages installed for unusual hardware, etc.)

And, sometimes something is just boffed; that is rare in Ubuntu but
does happen especially in non-LTS releases.

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 17.19 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 16:45, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yeah, I kinda got some idea what to do next, just getting tired. I've
> > been using GNU/Linux for 25+ years, and I'm tired of this stuff. Please
> > tell me other OSes are just as error prone ;)
>
> I know *exactly* what you mean.
>
> Unfortunately there is little to no money to be made from desktop
> Linux. The profits are in servers.
>
> And in mobile/touch, but tragically, Ubuntu has given up on that.
I still have my hopes up for SailfishOS. I've been using that on my phone
since 2013. The OS is great, but the resources are limited.

> More recently, though, I have read commentators who seem to agree that
> the polished, well-integrated desktop title has moved on from Ubuntu,
> so I've looked at some other desktop distros.

I'm a die-hard KDE/Plasma fan since before version 1, so kinda set in my
ways ;) Except that I had to replace KDE-PIM for a year or two while Akonadi
was simply too broken. Now I'm back and keeping my fingers crossed that it
will stay reasonably stable.

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 19.57 Paul Smith wrote:
> To be clear, I think Thomas is talking about support for in-place
> upgrade to newer releases, not "desktop spit and polish" issues or even
> from-scratch installer issues.  So I don't think this message does
> address *exactly* what he means :)

Regarding the desktop you're right, as indicated above.

> There are not many Ubuntu systems out there, outside of simple VMs or
> containers, which have exactly the same set of packages installed with
> the same configuration.  This makes it impossible to fully test
> upgrades as they might affect all users.  And the further one gets from
> the "baseline" system, the harder it gets (for example, if you install
> a different window system, or de-configure some systemd components, or
> have some rare packages installed for unusual hardware, etc.)

It is actually amazing what they do get to work for those of us who won't
abandon the Linux desktop :)

> And, sometimes something is just boffed; that is rare in Ubuntu but
> does happen especially in non-LTS releases.

Yeah, I must admit I'm also too curious, so I use several PPAs and don't
restrict to LTS.

Anyways, my box is up and running again \o/

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 17:19:35 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>It's one reason I only run LTS releases on machines I actually need to
>_use_ for stuff. It's also why I don't run GNOME on anything I need to
>work.

GTK is a major dependency for a lot of desktop apps, even those who
prefers a Qt based environment over a GTK environment most likely need
several GTK apps. GTK2 apps already cause issues on several machines
and nobody knows when GTK2 will completely be abandoned. GTK3 already
introduced a minor annoyance with CSD. Actually on the Xfce mailing
list some subscribers are scared about the migration of Xfce to CSD and
some fear the need of another GNOME/Mate alike fork for Xfce. However,
I guess we need to get used to "progress" that sometimes is a step in
the wrong direction. Migrating from one to another distro could slow
down unwanted changes, but it will not stop inconveniences for very
long.

Actually I'll stay as long as possible with 16.04 LTS, but in parallel
I need to run Arch (if it wouldn't be Arch, then it would be something
similar non-LTS) to be able to fulfil dependencies for some needed up to
date apps.

Even with those annoyances Linux still gives us a choice we do not have
when using proprietary operating systems. By one way or another I also
need to run proprietary operating systems since no FLOSS OS (Linux/BSD)
provides all I need, but IMO FLOSS OS even with some steps in the wrong
direction, still provides some benefits over proprietary operating
systems, let alone that proprietary operating systems don't provide
some apps, in some domains, that are quite good on Linux. For example,
for iPadOS there's no reasonable MUA available, even a non-perfect
Linux MUA running on a Linux desktop environment I dislike, is still
less annoying than any iPadOS MUA I know.

I'm already used to depend on more than one computer, multi-boot,
wine(-staging) and VMs. I've given up the idea of one computer for all
domains.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 19:06, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still have my hopes up for SailfishOS. I've been using that on my phone
> since 2013. The OS is great, but the resources are limited.

I used a Blackberry Passport for a couple of years.

Blackberry 10 was, again, a lovely OS but lacked apps.

And like OS/2 2/3/4, its limited ability to run a subset of apps from
a rival platform meant that there was little reason for app vendors to
do a native version, so most didn't.

But the thing about Ubuntu Touch that I thought had potential was the
commonality of a desktop/tablet/phone OS that could run the same apps
across all 3 platforms.

Sailfish does not offer that so I am not very interest for my own use,
although I wish Jolla well. The Huawei/Hongmeng/Aurora deal could
really help them, potentially, but I am not sure it will pan out.

> I'm a die-hard KDE/Plasma fan since before version 1, so kinda set in my
> ways ;) Except that I had to replace KDE-PIM for a year or two while Akonadi
> was simply too broken. Now I'm back and keeping my fingers crossed that it
> will stay reasonably stable.

I loved KDE 1.x. For me it finally made Linux usable as a desktop OS.

KDE 2 was IMHO uncomfortably bloated. KDE 3 was a top-heavy
abomination that I could not stand. Since then it's got worse, much
much worse.

> Regarding the desktop you're right, as indicated above.

Ah, OK.

> Anyways, my box is up and running again \o/

Well good!