Antivirus software ???

David M Pelly

What is the best free antivirus software?

Re: Antivirus software ???

Pedro I. Sanchez-3

It is called "Linux" or "GNU/Linux".  You install it natively on your computer and then you have next to nothing to worry about viruses.

__
Pedro

On Oct 2, 2016, at 4:39 PM, David M Pelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the best free antivirus software?

Re: Antivirus software ???

parkerd
You have next to nothing to worry about with viruses in Linux anyway.

The anti-virus is only to prevent sending a virus to a Windows platform, a friend of yours for example, to whom you send files.   Linux is not going to get the virus unless you deliberately install it on your own computer.  You can't "infect" another Linux platform, etc., but your Windows friend who opens an infected file (that has no effect on Linux) can get any virus you may unwittingly pass along.

Friends don't let friends run Windows is the bottom line.

Please note: message attached

From: Pedro Sánchez <[hidden email]>
To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <[hidden email]>
Cc: Ubuntu Canada list <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Antivirus software ???
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 18:41:48 -0400

Re: Antivirus software ???

Bob Jonkman

The clamav package is in the Ubuntu repositories, and is adequate to
scan for Windows viruses.

I don't run anti-virus software on my desktop. But when I'm called on
to fix a client's virus-infested computer I'll remove their hard
drive, attach it to a USB adapter, and use ClamAV to scan it from my
computer.

Computer viruses that attack GNU/Linux computers do exist, but the
risk is too low to waste RAM and CPU cycles on.

However, I do protect my computer with these plugins for my IceCat
(Firefox) browser: NoScript, Request Policy, U-Block Origin, and
Privacy Badger; and U-Block Origin and Privacy Badger in Chromium.
Malicious web pages and advertising payloads are a worse threat than
viruses.

- --Bob.

On 2016-10-02 06:55 PM, Parker, David wrote:

> You have next to nothing to worry about with viruses in Linux
> anyway.
>
> The anti-virus is only to prevent sending a virus to a Windows
> platform, a friend of yours for example, to whom you send files.
> Linux is not going to get the virus unless you deliberately install
> it on your own computer.  You can't "infect" another Linux
> platform, etc., but your Windows friend who opens an infected file
> (that has no effect on Linux) can get any virus you may unwittingly
> pass along.
>
> Friends don't let friends run Windows is the bottom line.
>
> Please note: message attached
>
> From: Pedro Sánchez <[hidden email]> To: The Canadian Ubuntu
> Users Community <[hidden email]> Cc: Ubuntu Canada list
> <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: Antivirus software ???
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 18:41:48 -0400
>

> ____________________________________________________________ The
> Shocking Hillary Video We’re Not Supposed To Show You Health
> Sciences Institute
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/57f1909feed06109f6197st04vuc

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <[hidden email]>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting

Re: Antivirus software ???

Abidel Bassie-Cripps
Hello Bob

Awesome info and addons!
ClamAV seems to be the choice for antivirus. I even use it on my iMac.
I also use Ghostery, DisconnectMe & Adblock Plus.
I am in total agree, regarding bad websites and bad adds.