Apache2 binary vanished during upgrade

David-99

I've just upgraded from hoary to breezy using the install CD,
then apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.

Apache2 binary has vanished without trace.

When I do
david@test:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
nothing happens at all.

david@test:~ $ sudo apache2ctl configtest
/usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 88: /usr/sbin/apache2: No such file or directory

The last mention of apache in /var/log/dpkg.log says:

2005-12-10 22:24:56 status half-configured apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3
2005-12-10 22:24:56 status installed apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3

If anyone can tell me what happened to the apache2 binary, or where else I
might have gone wrong, I would be most grateful. I don't want to completely
re-install apache2 because I don't want to mess up the nice config that was
working perfectly before the upgrade.

I'm also a bit worried what else might turn up missing, since this is the
first thing that i tried :(

Re: Apache2 binary vanished during upgrade

Mike Bird-6
On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 04:17, David wrote:

> I've just upgraded from hoary to breezy using the install CD,
> then apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.
>
> Apache2 binary has vanished without trace.
>
> When I do
> david@test:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
> nothing happens at all.
>
> david@test:~ $ sudo apache2ctl configtest
> /usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 88: /usr/sbin/apache2: No such file or directory
>
> The last mention of apache in /var/log/dpkg.log says:
>
> 2005-12-10 22:24:56 status half-configured apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3
> 2005-12-10 22:24:56 status installed apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3
>
> If anyone can tell me what happened to the apache2 binary, or where else I
> might have gone wrong, I would be most grateful. I don't want to completely
> re-install apache2 because I don't want to mess up the nice config that was
> working perfectly before the upgrade.
>
> I'm also a bit worried what else might turn up missing, since this is the
> first thing that i tried :(

Variants of the apache2 binary are contained in the various MPM
packages, not apache2-common.  We use apache2-mpm-prefork but
there are other choices.

--Mike Bird

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 04:34:59AM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 04:17, David wrote:
> > I've just upgraded from hoary to breezy using the install CD,
> > then apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.
> >
> > Apache2 binary has vanished without trace.
> >
> > When I do
> > david@test:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
> > nothing happens at all.
> >
> > david@test:~ $ sudo apache2ctl configtest
> > /usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 88: /usr/sbin/apache2: No such file or directory
> >
> > The last mention of apache in /var/log/dpkg.log says:
> >
> > 2005-12-10 22:24:56 status half-configured apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3
> > 2005-12-10 22:24:56 status installed apache2-common 2.0.54-5ubuntu3

> Variants of the apache2 binary are contained in the various MPM
> packages, not apache2-common.  We use apache2-mpm-prefork but
> there are other choices.

thanks for your prompt reply, but it gives rise to some questions:

* Should I have done <$ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork> and if
so how will that affect any configs?

* when I upgrade my MAIN webserver.... the one that really matters... what
should I do to avoid the same problem?

* Why would a simple upgrade make apache2 binary disappear? It just seems
to have been deleted. I've done sudo updatedb/locate apache2, and apache2
binary has just vanished.

* What are the MPM packages? and how does this relate to upgrading from
hoary to breezy? Is this something I should have "known", and if so, how? I
didn't see anything in the upgrade or the logs about it.

As a quick and dirty work-around, I copied the apache 2.0.53 binary from my
other web server, and luckily it works :) I'm sure that's not the right
thing to do.

kind regards and thanks...

David.

Further research:
<quote>
$ apt-cache show apache2-mpm-prefork
<snip>
 This Multi-Processing Module (MPM) implements a non-threaded,
 pre-forking web server that handles requests in a manner similar to
 Apache 1.3. It is appropriate for sites that need to avoid threading for
 compatibility with non-thread-safe libraries. It is also the best MPM
 for isolating each request, so that a problem with a single request will
 not affect any other.
 .
 It is not as fast, but is considered to be more stable.
</quote>

I'm assuming this means that a different variant of apache has been chosen
for ubuntu for the sake of stability. Is that right?

Re: Apache2 binary vanished during upgrade

David Hart-3
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:04:21AM +1100, David wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 04:34:59AM -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 04:17, David wrote:

> > > I've just upgraded from hoary to breezy using the install CD,
> > > then apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade.
[snip]

> thanks for your prompt reply, but it gives rise to some questions:

I notice above that you did 'apt-get upgrade', was that a typo?  (It
should be 'dist-upgrade'.)

Do you have any packages held back if you run that command now?

If so 'apt-get dist-upgrade' should fix that (bringing in the missing
apache stuff).

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:29:54PM +0000, David Hart wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:04:21AM +1100, David wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > thanks for your prompt reply, but it gives rise to some questions:
>
> I notice above that you did 'apt-get upgrade', was that a typo?  (It
> should be 'dist-upgrade'.)
>
> Do you have any packages held back if you run that command now?
>
> If so 'apt-get dist-upgrade' should fix that (bringing in the missing
> apache stuff).

not a typo.... a result of working too late at night.

I'll do apt-get dist-upgrade and see what happens.

Thanks.

David.

Re: Apache2 binary vanished during upgrade

David-99
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:29:54PM +0000, David Hart wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:04:21AM +1100, David wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > thanks for your prompt reply, but it gives rise to some questions:
>
> I notice above that you did 'apt-get upgrade', was that a typo?  (It
> should be 'dist-upgrade'.)
>
> Do you have any packages held back if you run that command now?
>
> If so 'apt-get dist-upgrade' should fix that (bringing in the missing
> apache stuff).

you were right, of course... my silly mistake.

Unfortunately, after doing apt-get update (just to make sure) and then
apt-get dist-upgrade, I still don't have apache2 binary.

I'm not sure what to do next. Everything else appears to be there.

David.

Re: Apache2 binary vanished during upgrade

Scott J. Henson
David wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:29:54PM +0000, David Hart wrote:

>>[snip]
>>

>>>thanks for your prompt reply, but it gives rise to some questions:
>>>

>>I notice above that you did 'apt-get upgrade', was that a typo?  (It
>>should be 'dist-upgrade'.)
>>
>>Do you have any packages held back if you run that command now?
>>
>>If so 'apt-get dist-upgrade' should fix that (bringing in the missing
>>apache stuff).
>>

>you were right, of course... my silly mistake.
>
>Unfortunately, after doing apt-get update (just to make sure) and then
>apt-get dist-upgrade, I still don't have apache2 binary.
>
>I'm not sure what to do next. Everything else appears to be there.

This is probably due to blindly hitting enter when apt asks you if your
sure you want to make the changes its specifying.  We all do it and
eventually come to regret it and learn from our mistakes.  Apt helpfully
tells you how many packages its going to upgrade/install/remove just
above the prompt.  What likely happened is apache2-mpm-worker(or
whatever you had installed) was removed during the upgrade.  From what I
remember, upgrade shouldn't remove anything, but I might be wrong.  In
any case, you might want to check out the -s and the -u options for
apt-get.

Also, about your apache2 configs.  BACK THEM UP BEFORE ANY MAJOR
UPGRADE.  Sorry for the all caps but I want to make sure you realize
that.  Back up your configs before you do your upgrade and you won't
have to worry about what the upgrade will do to them.  But, chances are
they will be safe.  Generally packages are very respectful of local
configuration changes.

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:56:34AM +1100, David wrote:

> Unfortunately, after doing apt-get update (just to make sure) and then
> apt-get dist-upgrade, I still don't have apache2 binary.
>
> I'm not sure what to do next. Everything else appears to be there.

Did you remove the binary that you copied manually?

Have you checked that packages are not still held back (it can sometimes
take several applications of 'dist-upgrade' before everything gets
installed)?

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:45:43PM +0000, David Hart wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:56:34AM +1100, David wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, after doing apt-get update (just to make sure) and then
> > apt-get dist-upgrade, I still don't have apache2 binary.
> >
> > I'm not sure what to do next. Everything else appears to be there.
>
> Did you remove the binary that you copied manually?

Yes, I did.

> Have you checked that packages are not still held back (it can sometimes
> take several applications of 'dist-upgrade' before everything gets
> installed)?

No, they weren't held back. I think apt decided that I didn't need apache.

Just to wrap this up, in case some other clod makes the same mistake!

* Initial problem caused by using apt-get upgrade instead of
apt-get dist-upgrade

* For some reason, when I later did apt-get dist-upgrade, apt failed to
install the apache2-mpm-prefork package that is needed in Breezy

* Following advice (sorry.. i've forgotten who), apt-get --simulate is a
great way to figure out what is going to happen without doing any damage.
I did <apt-get -s install apache2-mpm-prefork> and was able to see that it
wouldn't do any damage to my existing installation. Everything is now just
fine.

* Moral of the story: don't do important changes when you are too tired!