Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark

john levin-2

Re: Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark

John-68

Re: Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark

Matthew East
On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 07:26 +0800, John wrote: I think this might be worth contesting too. The word Rosetta has about
10 applications, not least of which are two cities ;)

But more importantly there are two or three pieces of software which use
the name and the trademark might cause some problems for them, including
the translation interface we all know and love! I don't really know much
about trademarks, does anyone think this would be a problem?

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Matthew East wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 07:26 +0800, John wrote:
>
>>john levin wrote:
>>
>>>Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark
>>>http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=13091
>>>and
>>>http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_trademark_for_rosetta_its_apples_technology/
>>>
>>>and
>>>http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1I1/.cmd/ad/.ar/sa.gov.uspto.tow.actions.DetailViewAction/.c/6_0_CH/.ce/7_0_1JJ/.p/5_0_1CH/.d/2#
>>>

>>>Hope this doesn't affect our Rosetta.
>

> I think this might be worth contesting too. The word Rosetta has about
> 10 applications, not least of which are two cities ;)
>
> But more importantly there are two or three pieces of software which use
> the name and the trademark might cause some problems for them, including
> the translation interface we all know and love! I don't really know much
> about trademarks, does anyone think this would be a problem?
>
> Matt

I do know that Ugg boots have been manufactured and sold in Australia by
several manufacturers for 30 years or so. Now some US company (which I
think acquired one of the Australian manufacturers) has trademarked the
name and threatening the others.

Yes, it can be a problem. Aa stitch now may well save nine later. This
is something to take seriously, at least to take to the legals.

Re: Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark

Benj. Mako Hill-3
Sorry for the latish reply but I did a little research on this and
thought I would follow up.

<quote who="john levin" date="Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:36:02PM +0000">
> Apple attempts 'Rosetta' trademark
> http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=13091
> and
> http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_trademark_for_rosetta_its_apples_technology/
> and
> http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1I1/.cmd/ad/.ar/sa.gov.uspto.tow.actions.DetailViewAction/.c/6_0_CH/.ce/7_0_1JJ/.p/5_0_1CH/.d/2#
>
> Hope this doesn't affect our Rosetta.

Trademarks and scoped so that they refer to a particular field of
endevaor or class of products. In this case, the application would
cover the use the word Rosetta to cover:

  Computer software, computer code, computer firmware and application
  tools for testing, converting, programming and executing computer
  software, computer code and computer applications across software,
  computer and microprocessor platforms; software technology used for
  cross-platform computing, software code verification, testing and
  conversion.

It seems that our use of the Rosetta mark covers this as does several
other uses of the term in other software products.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
[hidden email]

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS