Are there any problems with 20.10?

Phil-2
I have a spare 8GB of data that will expire today if I don't use it, so
I am thinking about upgrading Kubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10.

I read somewhere that there was, or perhaps still is, a problem with
Thunderbird of some sort. Has this been resolved?

Phil

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Bret Busby-2
On 21/11/2020, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a spare 8GB of data that will expire today if I don't use it, so
> I am thinking about upgrading Kubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10.
>
> I read somewhere that there was, or perhaps still is, a problem with
> Thunderbird of some sort. Has this been resolved?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Phil

My problem with T-bird is still unresolved, so my installation on
UbuntuMATE 20.10 is still unusable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 20:58:09 +0000, Bret Busby wrote:

>On 21/11/2020, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have a spare 8GB of data that will expire today if I don't use it,
>> so I am thinking about upgrading Kubuntu from 20.04 to 20.10.
>>
>> I read somewhere that there was, or perhaps still is, a problem with
>> Thunderbird of some sort. Has this been resolved?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Phil
>>

>My problem with T-bird is still unresolved, so my installation on
>UbuntuMATE 20.10 is still unusable.

Isn't Thunderbird the perfect candidate for a snap? IIRC it even does
not use OpenPGP by the user's install anymore, but it's own
implemented OpenPGP. IOW IIUC Thunderbird is already more or less a
container by itself and doesn't interact much with the given
infrastructure. I suspect there aren't issues when running it as a
snap. My understanding is that Thunderbird is already Smartphone-ware
alike ;).

On 22/11/20 6:58 am, Bret Busby wrote:
> My problem with T-bird is still unresolved, so my installation on
> UbuntuMATE 20.10 is still unusable.

Thanks Bret and Ralf for your replies.

I waited for a couple of hours before upgrading Kubuntu and I only
forfeited about 5.5GB. I haven't encountered any problems and I'm
pleased with the new look of Thunderbird.

Phil

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Samstag, den 21.11.2020, 22:26 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
ubuntu-users:

> Isn't Thunderbird the perfect candidate for a snap?

it is !!!
https://snapcraft.io/thunderbird

;)

ciao
        oli

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Akash Rao
you use thunderbird in kubuntu!? they used to ship with k-mail or something ... a few versions ago when i was using.

On 23/11/2020, Akash Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> you use thunderbird in kubuntu!? they used to ship with k-mail or something
> ... a few versions ago when i was using.

Synaptic shows kmail as being available in 20.10; gmail as not being
available (packages for gmail, show as being available, but, not gmail
itself)

But, in 20.10, knowing what is the name of a package, can be
difficult, with package names hidden, to obscure what is the name of
the package.

One good example, is gedit, which I frequently use, which, whilst
synaptic shows it as having the name gedit, the menu shows it as
having the name "Text Editor", so as to hide from the user, exactly
what is the applicable text editor - whether it is gedit, kwrite,
gvim, a GUI variant of emacs, or, some Notepad variant, or, one of the
other many available text editors.

Another good example, is the menu entry "Web", under Applications ->
Internet ; the listed package name does not even indicate the nature
of the package - whether its use is to establish a connection to the
web, to analyse web traffic, or, whether it is a web browser. I
believe that "Web" is the encrypted name for the Epiphany web browser,
but, I am not sure.

I do not know whether this obstructing access to applications
packages, by concealing the names of the packages, is a "feature" of
UbuntuMATE 20.10, or, the new look of Ubuntu, itself.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 10:41 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:

> I do not know whether this obstructing access to applications
> packages, by concealing the names of the packages, is a "feature" of
> UbuntuMATE 20.10, or, the new look of Ubuntu, itself.

it is a "feature" of the GNOME design team trying to simplfy GNOME in a
way that users do not need to know application names but onl their
functions by the desktop entry, you will find it in all official GNOME
apps (Totem -> "Videos", gedit -> "Editor", Epiphany -> "Web", etc).

has nothing to do with Ubuntu, this just gets inherited from upstream.

ciao
        oli

On 23/11/2020, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 10:41 +0000 schrieb Bret Busby:
>>

>> I do not know whether this obstructing access to applications
>> packages, by concealing the names of the packages, is a "feature" of
>> UbuntuMATE 20.10, or, the new look of Ubuntu, itself.
>>
> it is a "feature" of the GNOME design team trying to simplfy GNOME in a
> way that users do not need to know application names but onl their
> functions by the desktop entry, you will find it in all official GNOME
> apps (Totem -> "Videos", gedit -> "Editor", Epiphany -> "Web", etc).
>
> has nothing to do with Ubuntu, this just gets inherited from upstream.
>
> ciao
> oli

Thank you for that clarification.

The gnomes of gnome appear to have gone increasingly wonky and
increased their disregard for users, since they replaced the
user-friendly gnome-2 with gnome-3, so as to discourage use of the
gnome interface.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 11:43, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> gmail as not being
> available (packages for gmail, show as being available, but, not gmail
> itself)

Gmail is not an app. Gmail is a website.

The only app for Gmail is the smartphone client for iOS and Android,
which is not available for any desktop OS.

So, no, you will not find an app for Gmail in the Ubuntu repositories.

The GNOME email app is not called Gmail, because Gmail is a Google
trademark. The GNOME app is called Evolution.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Akash Rao
yeah. gmail does not have a desktop app. any development phase app like that? there is a chrome app i believe ...

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 18:02, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 11:43, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> gmail as not being
> available (packages for gmail, show as being available, but, not gmail
> itself)

Gmail is not an app. Gmail is a website.

The only app for Gmail is the smartphone client for iOS and Android,
which is not available for any desktop OS.

So, no, you will not find an app for Gmail in the Ubuntu repositories.

The GNOME email app is not called Gmail, because Gmail is a Google
trademark. The GNOME app is called Evolution.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Colin Law
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 13:52, Akash Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yeah. gmail does not have a desktop app. any development phase app like that? there is a chrome app i believe ...

If there is a chrome app then it is really an extension not an app,
and it should work in Ubuntu.
Whether Google will write a linux app for gmail I don't know, but I
think it highly unlikely.  Why would they do it?

Colin

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 19:33, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 13:52, Akash Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yeah. gmail does not have a desktop app. any development phase app like that? there is a chrome app i believe ...

If there is a chrome app then it is really an extension not an app,
and it should work in Ubuntu.

okay; yes they do; i have some such chrome apps downloading and / or installing into ubuntu as apps; pinterest, for instance.

Whether Google will write a linux app for gmail I don't know, but I
think it highly unlikely.  Why would they do it?

google never writes a linux app? why not?

Colin

Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 19:20 +0530 schrieb Akash Rao:
> yeah. gmail does not have a desktop app. any development phase app
> like that? there is a chrome app i believe ...

there is an electron app:

https://snapcraft.io/gmail-desktop

but since gnome recently started blocking non-official browsers and
apps (i.e. the ones not registered with them) from accessing google
services your mileage may vary when trying to log in ...

ciao
        oli

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 19:47, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,
Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 19:20 +0530 schrieb Akash Rao:
> yeah. gmail does not have a desktop app. any development phase app
> like that? there is a chrome app i believe ...

there is an electron app:

https://snapcraft.io/gmail-desktop

tried

but since gnome recently started blocking non-official browsers and
apps (i.e. the ones not registered with them) from accessing google
services your mileage may vary when trying to log in ...

right; this app or browser may not be secure; try using a different browser - says the message

ciao
        oli

Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 15:15 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> but since gnome

oh my ... this was indeed meant to be "google" ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Oli,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 15:13, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,
Am Montag, den 23.11.2020, 15:15 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> but since gnome

oh my ... this was indeed meant to be "google" ...

Thanks for the clarification....

BW,

Ian

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Akash Rao
Oh okay :)

On 23/11/2020, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 11:43, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> gmail as not being
>> available (packages for gmail, show as being available, but, not gmail
>> itself)
>
> Gmail is not an app. Gmail is a website.
>
> The only app for Gmail is the smartphone client for iOS and Android,
> which is not available for any desktop OS.
>
> So, no, you will not find an app for Gmail in the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> The GNOME email app is not called Gmail, because Gmail is a Google
> trademark. The GNOME app is called Evolution.
>
> --
> Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Sorry - I though gnome had had an email application like kmail.

Apart from using T-bird (now, for me, only usable on my 16.04
installation), I tend to stick with the most powerful and reliable
end-user email application; alpine (originally named pine), and this
googlymail thing (which has got increasingly nasty).

Funny about google trademarking its webmail thing - in Australia, we
have a retail chain (a bit like a dunny cistern flushing chain) named
K-mart, which is, I think, an Australian version of Walmart, that uses
the name kmail, for, I think, its marketing newsletter email.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Are there any problems with 20.10?

Akash Rao

Sorry - I though gnome had had an email application like kmail.

Apart from using T-bird (now, for me, only usable on my 16.04
installation), I tend to stick with the most powerful and reliable
end-user email application; alpine (originally named pine), and this
googlymail thing (which has got increasingly nasty).

thunderbird is really reliable and easy. it works fine for me :)

yeah we used pine on our unix machines in 2000 / 01! text-based email! now it is alpine? good to know.

Funny about google trademarking its webmail thing - in Australia, we
have a retail chain (a bit like a dunny cistern flushing chain) named
K-mart, which is, I think, an Australian version of Walmart, that uses
the name kmail, for, I think, its marketing newsletter email.

oh! nice to know :)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale