Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Peter Hillier-Brook
Hello All,

Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem
only occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does
Lubuntu. Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding
the appropriate UUID is less than desirable.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue, please?

Peter HB

Re: Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Steve Flynn
On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND* internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem only occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu. Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the appropriate UUID is less than desirable.

Stop the automount service

sudo service autofs stop

Start it in the forground in verbose mode

sudo automount -f -v

Post the output if it's not obvious what the problem is.

--
Steve

On 22/11/12 15:04, Steve Flynn wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB
>> *AND* internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases.
>> This problem only occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works
>> fine, as does Lubuntu. Obviously I can mount them as root, but the
>> tedium of finding the appropriate UUID is less than desirable.
>

> Stop the automount service
>
> sudo service autofs stop
>

> Start it in the forground in verbose mode
>
> sudo automount -f -v
>

> Post the output if it's not obvious what the problem is.
>
> -- Steve

Thanks for the swift response, Steve. There is no such script (nor any
obvious alternative) in either /etc/init, or /etc/init.d so I'm still
snookered. Equally confusing, there is no such script on a working
Kubuntu system.

Peter HB

Re: Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Colin Law-4
On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
> internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem only
> occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu.
> Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the
> appropriate UUID is less than desirable.

Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used to
happen that is not happening any more?

Colin

RE: Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases.

Internal disks are not mounted automatically in 12.04 or earlier releases,
and it doesn't look like that's changed for 12.10. You can mount manually
using Disk Utility, or by editing your /etc/fstab file for a more permanent
solution for any internal hard disks.

Autofs is not installed by default, so Unity must use some other package to
mount USB and CD drives. Do Kubuntu or Lubuntu have a file named
/etc/auto.master ?

If so, they use autofs...

On 22/11/12 17:02, Colin Law wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
>> internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem only
>> occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu.
>> Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the
>> appropriate UUID is less than desirable.
>
> Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used to
> happen that is not happening any more?

Hello Colin,

the sequence is that I insert a USB memory stick and open Dolphin in
Kubuntu and I'm presented with a list of available file systems,
including the  memory stick. Selecting this device, or any of the
advertised partitions, mounts the partition and permits access to the
contents.

When using Nautilus under Unity - which I don't do very often - the
mount operation fails with:
Adding read ACL for uid 1000 to '/media/<username>' failed: Operation
not supported.

I assume that it's a permissions thing somewhere, but as yet I don't
know where.

On 22 November 2012 17:16, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/11/12 17:02, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
>>> internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem
>>> only
>>> occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu.
>>> Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the
>>> appropriate UUID is less than desirable.
>>

>> Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used to
>> happen that is not happening any more?
>

> Hello Colin,
>
> the sequence is that I insert a USB memory stick and open Dolphin in Kubuntu
> and I'm presented with a list of available file systems, including the
> memory stick. Selecting this device, or any of the advertised partitions,
> mounts the partition and permits access to the contents.
>
> When using Nautilus under Unity - which I don't do very often - the mount
> operation fails with:
> Adding read ACL for uid 1000 to '/media/<username>' failed: Operation not
> supported.

That would have been useful to know at the start.  Googling for that
error message yielded [1] as the first hit.  It seems that it is a
known bug [2] and [1] includes a workaround that you can try.

I hope that is helpful.

[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/202630/cant-mount-any-partition-acl-error
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1048059

Colin

Re: Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Tom H-4
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
>> internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem only
>> occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu.
>> Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the
>> appropriate UUID is less than desirable.
>
> Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used to
> happen that is not happening any more?

Is it with udisks2?

Is it that the mount location has changed from "/media/volumename" to
"/run/media/<username>/volumename"?

On 22 November 2012 17:34, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 22 November 2012 14:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Since upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 I no longer have access to USB *AND*
>>> internal disks that were auto mounted in earlier releases. This problem only
>>> occurs with Unity-based systems: Kubuntu works fine, as does Lubuntu.
>>> Obviously I can mount them as root, but the tedium of finding the
>>> appropriate UUID is less than desirable.
>>
>> Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used to
>> happen that is not happening any more?
>
> Is it with udisks2?
>
> Is it that the mount location has changed from "/media/volumename" to
> "/run/media/<username>/volumename"?

I think that is what the bug report suggests.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1048059

Colin

Re: Auto mounting in Ubuntu 12.10

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On Thu, 2012-11-22 at 12:34 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> Is it with udisks2?
it should be, yes,

> Is it that the mount location has changed from "/media/volumename" to
> "/run/media/<username>/volumename"?

well, its rather an issue with ACLs but creating that dir manually will
make udisks skip the check... note though that ubuntu and debian do not
use media in /run, teh dir you need to create is:

/media/$USER

and you need to make sure it has the right permissions:

sudo chown $USER.$USER /media/$USER

ciao
        oli

On 22/11/12 17:25, Colin Law wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 17:16, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 22/11/12 17:02, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Can you define what you mean by auto mounted?  Exactly what used
>>> to happen that is not happening any more?
>>

>> Hello Colin,
>>
>> the sequence is that I insert a USB memory stick and open Dolphin
>> in Kubuntu and I'm presented with a list of available file systems,
>> including the memory stick. Selecting this device, or any of the
>> advertised partitions, mounts the partition and permits access to
>> the contents.
>>
>> When using Nautilus under Unity - which I don't do very often - the
>> mount operation fails with: Adding read ACL for uid 1000 to
>> '/media/<username>' failed: Operation not supported.
>
> That would have been useful to know at the start.  Googling for that
> error message yielded [1] as the first hit.  It seems that it is a
> known bug [2] and [1] includes a workaround that you can try.
>
> I hope that is helpful.

Very! It's obviously not a professional solution, but on a single user
system such as mine it's a very good temporary fix until the bug is
properly addressed and fixed. Many thanks for your help.

Peter HB