AutoInstall - Cloud-Init setup using nocloud datasource

AutoInstall - Cloud-Init setup using nocloud datasource

alex-2
I am trying to setup a number of new servers on Ubuntu 20.4 LTS. So far
got the auto-install via PXE working.

My plan is to use autoinstall for the basic setup to install the OS,
partition table and initial user.

Once installed I was hoping to use something like clout-init / nocloud
install the customisation need to security and monitoring. Ideally I was
just hoping to connect it to chef using cloud-init.

However I have not been able to get cloud-init / nocloud-net datasource
working.

Tried updating /etc/default/grub with the following

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=30
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="serial=ds=nocloud-net;seedfrom=http://192.168.
0.172/ubuntu/config/"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="serial=ds=nocloud-net;seedfrom=http://192.168.0.172/ub
untu/config/"

Any suggestions to get me in the right direction on how to get
nocloud-net working?

No matter what I try it always reports:

root@ubuntu-base:/home/user# cloud-init status --long
status: done
time: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 09:53:14 +0000
detail:
DataSourceNone

And the httpd host which provides the configuration files is never
accessed.

Kind regards
Alex

Re: AutoInstall - Cloud-Init setup using nocloud datasource

Jerry Geis
Hi Alex can you share your auto install fileĀ
ThanksĀ

Jerry

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to setup a number of new servers on Ubuntu 20.4 LTS. So far I
got the auto-install via PXE working.

My plan is to use autoinstall for the basic setup to install the OS,
partition table and initial user.

Once installed I was hoping to use something like clout-init / nocloud to
[...]

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is the auto-install user-data file.
It goes on setting up some further partitions. My thought was to do the
basic setup using auto-install, and then do the remainder of the
configuration using cloud-init on first boot.

#cloud-config
autoinstall:
   apt:
     geoip: true
     preserve_sources_list: false
     primary:
     - arches: [amd64, i386]
       uri: http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
     - arches: [default]
       uri: http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports
   version: 1
   refresh-installer:
     update: no
   identity: {hostname: localhost, password:
$6$6XlVz3AIXnn5wnuu$rmJAexybhEgJRaCrZxg5S/bBx/JwEFGJIylQrS4gbJOy/K.5pj77bC6Be/kb4tKmFSUEaEzZAcDW0hX//UDeW0,
     realname: User, username: user}
   packages:
     - net-tools
     - docker.io
     - ansible
   reporting:
     builtin:
       type: print
   ssh:
     allow-pw: true
     authorized-keys: []
     install-server: true
   late-commands:
     - sed -ie 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT=.*/GRUB_TIMEOUT=10/'
/target/etc/default/grub
     - sed -ie 's/GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden/#GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden/'
/target/etc/default/grub
   storage:
     swap:
       size: 0