Backing up a damaged SSD

Kevin O'Gorman
I've got a laptop with a damaged main drive.  It's a 2TB NVME SSD, and gets an error on a dd copy of the main Ubuntu partition, and about 200 errors on a ntfsclone --rescue of my Windows partition.

Of course, I'm getting it replaced -- it's even under warranty from the company that makes the laptop.  But I'd like to have the best backup possible.  I like the ntfsclone --rescue option.  I wonder if the dd --ignore-failed-read works the same way -- skip a single sector, on both the input and the output or whether is skips a whole block of the size I told it to use.  I also wonder if there's anything better.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Tommy Trussell
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:51 PM Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've got a laptop with a damaged main drive.  It's a 2TB NVME SSD, and gets an error on a dd copy of the main Ubuntu partition, and about 200 errors on a ntfsclone --rescue of my Windows partition.

Of course, I'm getting it replaced -- it's even under warranty from the company that makes the laptop.  But I'd like to have the best backup possible.  I like the ntfsclone --rescue option.  I wonder if the dd --ignore-failed-read works the same way -- skip a single sector, on both the input and the output or whether is skips a whole block of the size I told it to use.  I also wonder if there's anything better.

I believe this is the exact sort of situation ddrescue was designed for... though I don't know whether it handles SSD drives as well as "old fashioned" magnetic drives. You will also need some other utilities to work with (what's left of) the recovered files.

Several places have assembled "forensic" bootable images that include all the utilities you might need.

noname (602 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Tommy,

I have a collection of links to forensic and other utility isos on this page: https://sites.google.com/site/ianabruntlett/home/free-software

Look for them under the category "Linux Live CD/DVDs (technical stuff)"

HTH,

Ian

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Colin Law
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 at 10:12, Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tommy,
>
> I have a collection of links to forensic and other utility isos on this page: https://sites.google.com/site/ianabruntlett/home/free-software

That link appears to want me to login to google before I can see it.

Colin

> Look for them under the category "Linux Live CD/DVDs (technical stuff)"
>
> HTH,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Gary Curtin
On Sat, 2019-07-06 at 10:49 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> > I have a collection of links to forensic and other utility isos on
> > this page:
> > https://sites.google.com/site/ianabruntlett/home/free-software
> >

> That link appears to want me to login to google before I can see it.
>
> Colin

Yeah, and when you do get past the Google login, you get site not
found!!

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Gary and Colin,

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 at 11:59, Gary Curtin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, and when you do get past the Google login, you get site not
found!!
I hope that is only a temporary glitch.

Temporary work around.
2. In the navigation sidebar, click on "Free Software"
3. Scroll down to "Linux Live CD/DVDs (technical stuff)" and you'll see what I'm talking about :)

In case that doesn't work, the key live CD/DVDs that I would consider using are:-
1. CAINE (an investigation tool) https://www.caine-live.net/
2. Hirens Boot CD (actually a DVD these days) https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

I have used CAINE to rescue data from a Windows laptop's harddrive which had been rendered unbootable because of a software problem.

If I was to be backing up a damaged SSD, I would definitely try using ddrescue, possibly after having booted CAINE.

If you know of other rescue CDs/DVDs I should link to, let me know :)

HTH,

Ian

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 at 01:51, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also wonder if there's anything better.

gddrescue is the tool to go for, IMHO

https://packages.debian.org/sid/utils/gddrescue

It is a newer fork of an older program called dd_rescue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/211578/whats-the-difference-between-ddrescue-gddrescue-and-dd-rescue

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Kevin O'Gorman

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm found another list that includes two of yours.  It may be of some interest.

https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-5-free-rescue-discs-for-your-sys-admin-toolkit/

HTH

++ kevin

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Kevin,

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 22:44, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm found another list that includes two of yours.  It may be of some interest.

https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-5-free-rescue-discs-for-your-sys-admin-toolkit/

Thank you, much appreciated!

BW,

Ian

noname (602 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Backing up a damaged SSD

Kevin O'Gorman
I looked into forensic images a bit.  I found the information unorganized enough to be just irritating.  When I'm not under time pressure, I'll probably try to sort out what makes sense for me.

However, thanks for reminding me about ddrescue.  That was just what I needed.  But I wound up finding it could not work any better than the other tools, and for a reason that surprised me: the actual problem was not with the NVME drive, but with the drive dock I was sending the backups to.  It would freeze.  At first briefly, but after 20 minutes or so it would freeze so completely that nothing could touch that drive.  Even reboot was slowed enormously or completely stalled.  Turning off the drive dock was the only "solution".  I've filed a review on that product.

I got clean backups with all tools after I substituted a drive dock of a different manufacturer.