Backup

Errol Sapir
Hi
I have a very basic question about backup. I want to backup my /home drive which is on a separate partition. However I ONLY want to backup data and not any setup files or  attachments. The reason for all this is I want to set up my /home partition from scratch without kubuntu using previous definitions. So I need a way of backing up only data, ALL my data (and of course restoring it).
Is there a way of doing this?
TIA
Errol

Re: Backup

Amaury Pupo Meriño
Hi Errol,
There are several ways to accomplish what you want to do, but it depends on which software you are using to make your backups. In my case I prefer to use rdiff-backup (to be called in a shell script). In my case, to backup all the contents in my home directory, ignoring configuration files, I do:

rdiff-backup -v 5 --print-statistics --exclude '/home/my_user_name/.*' /home/my_user_name/ /destination_dir/

with the option --exclude '/home/my_user_name/.*' the backup excludes all files and directories with names starting with the "." character (by convention all config files and directories names start with a ".").

Then, my advice, your backup software should have some "exclude" option, which should allow you to do something equivalent.

Best regards,

Amaury

bmarsh@bmarsh.com

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I have a very basic question about backup. I want to backup my /home drive which is on a separate partition. However I ONLY want to backup data and not any setup files or  attachments. The reason for all this is I want to set up my /home partition from scratch without kubuntu using previous definitions. So I need a way of backing up only data, ALL my data (and of course restoring it).
> Is there a way of doing this?

Define "data".    Too broad a scope in my view.

> TIA
> Errol

Re: Backup

Alan (grokit)

Open Dolphin, split the window, one side go to your $HOME folder, the other go to your backup folder. Make sure that you are not looking at the hidden files then select everything in your home folder, drag and drop it to the backup folder, choose copy.

In your home folder press Alt-. (alt dot) to show the hidden files/folders. Copy all you want to over to the backup location such as .cups, .mozilla, .libreoffice, .minecraft, .openbazzar, .steam, .wine - whatever you do not want lost. The .bash* files are also usually useful to save.

On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 7:20:31 PM Errol Sapir wrote:

> Hi

> I have a very basic question about backup. I want to backup my /home drive which is on a separate partition. However I ONLY want to backup data and not any setup files or  attachments. The reason for all this is I want to set up my /home partition from scratch without kubuntu using previous definitions. So I need a way of backing up only data, ALL my data (and of course restoring it).

> Is there a way of doing this?

> TIA

> Errol

Re: Backup

Jerry Lapham-2
On Thursday, November 03, 2016 05:42:08 AM Errol Sapir wrote:

> Data is anything I have created or copied. Documents, photos, email and
> address books, etc. Even uninstalled programs can be considered data (but
> aren't essential for my backup). Basically, as I wrote, I am trying to
> configure my /home from the beginning without the previous setup
> definitions. From what I understand, Amaury's suggestion looks good (and
> maybe there are others) and I will try it over the weekend. Thanks
> Errol

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I have a very basic question about backup. I want to backup my /home drive
> which is on a separate partition. However I ONLY want to backup data and
> not any setup files or  attachments. The reason for all this is I want to
> set up my /home partition from scratch without kubuntu using previous
> definitions. So I need a way of backing up only data, ALL my data (and of
> course restoring it). Is there a way of doing this?
> Define "data".    Too broad a scope in my view.

You could also try what I do.  I have a separate very large /DATA partition
which holds documents, downloads, pictures, music, etc.  Home is included with
the rest of the  / partition.

Currently I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS.  When the problem reports from 16.04
LTS appear to have died down and I get around to it, I'll clone my 14.04
partition and run the upgrade to 16.04 on the clone.  If I have a problem with
16.04, I can just boot the original 14.04 partition.  DATA is accessible from
either one.

        -Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050

Re: Backup

David Fletcher-5
On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 05:42 +0200, Errol Sapir wrote:
> Data is anything I have created or copied. Documents, photos, email

In my home directory I have always (since windows 95) had a directory
called Work in which I store all documents I have created such as
letters I write, spreadsheets, forms that I've filled in and scanned so
that I have a copy before posting them. My entire /home/ directory then
gets compressed into a tar file periodically, put through gpg
symmetrical encryption for security, then copied to multiple flash
storage devices. These type of files of mine, plus similar files
created by my son, come to about 4GB at the moment.

When you need to restore these files it's easy to just unpack the tar
file somewhere other than /home/ and move your Work directory back to
where it needs to be.

If you use Evolution as an email client/contacts store, you can
periodically do a dump of everything into a dedicated backup file
somewhere in your Work directory. This can easily be imported back into
Evolution if you need to do a bare metal rebuild. I know this because
I've done it more than once.

My photos and music files and everything else that's a bit big are
stored elsewhere, in a dedicated directory in /. At the moment I use
rsync to copy these to my laptop hard drive plus a USB hard drive for
backup. My media storage is not as large as some, though, and when
128GB SD cards come down in price some more I'll purchase one or two of
these for additional, off site backups.

Dave

Re: Backup

David Fletcher-5
PS

I never, ever use graphical tools to copy/move large numbers of files.
They just don't seem to be reliable for this and even Linux desktop
graphical tools fall over in my experience. OTOH terminal type tools
such as rsync always work.

Re: Backup

Errol Sapir
Hi Jerry
That is my plan but first I have to separate my data from my /home partition which led to the question I asked. I'm still not sure I have a complete answer but as I said Amaury's suggestion (if it works) could provide the solution.
Errol

On 11/03/2016 10:29 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
PS

I never, ever use graphical tools to copy/move large numbers of files.
They just don't seem to be reliable for this and even Linux desktop
graphical tools fall over in my experience. OTOH terminal type tools
such as rsync always work.

If one knows the various definitions to use in rsync I'm sure it is the one of the better solutions. I am too new to rsync to risk it on something that is so vital as all my data unless I can be hand-held.:-[
Errol

Re: Backup

David Fletcher-5
On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 15:28 +0200, Errol Sapir wrote:

> On 11/03/2016 10:29 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> > PS
> >
> > I never, ever use graphical tools to copy/move large numbers of
> > files.
> > They just don't seem to be reliable for this and even Linux desktop
> > graphical tools fall over in my experience. OTOH terminal type
> > tools
> > such as rsync always work.
> >
>  If one knows the various definitions to use in rsync I'm sure it is
> the one of the better solutions. I am too new to rsync to risk it on
> something that is so vital as all my data unless I can be hand-
> held.:-[
> Errol

Basically, all you need is rsync -av. It can work just within your
local computer or across your network. For example, this is the command
that it is embedded in a script that automatically grabs a copy of what
is on my server:-
rsync -av --delete --bwlimit=20000 root@server:/home/
/home/dave/backups/server/copyofslashhome/

but all you need for your purposes as a beginner is probably something
like
sudo rsync -av --delete /home/ /media/YourBackupDevice/

using sudo so that you can access home directories other than your own.
I think that should work. To get the networked example to work I use a
trick with something called ssh keys. As a beginner don't worry about
that for now, just be aware that there is something you can use to get
access to the content of other computers.

If you're worried, set up a test directory to play with, and experiment
with leaving out --delete and keeping it in, but rsync will not alter
the source directory.

Dave

Re: Backup

Charles T. Bell

On 11/03/2016 10:56 AM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 15:28 +0200, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>

>> On 11/03/2016 10:29 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
>>> PS
>>>
>>> I never, ever use graphical tools to copy/move large numbers of
>>> files.
>>> They just don't seem to be reliable for this and even Linux desktop
>>> graphical tools fall over in my experience. OTOH terminal type
>>> tools
>>> such as rsync always work.
>>>
>>  If one knows the various definitions to use in rsync I'm sure it is
>> the one of the better solutions. I am too new to rsync to risk it on
>> something that is so vital as all my data unless I can be hand-
>> held.:-[
>> Errol
>
> Basically, all you need is rsync -av. It can work just within your
> local computer or across your network. For example, this is the command
> that it is embedded in a script that automatically grabs a copy of what
> is on my server:-
> rsync -av --delete --bwlimit=20000 root@server:/home/
> /home/dave/backups/server/copyofslashhome/
>
> but all you need for your purposes as a beginner is probably something
> like
> sudo rsync -av --delete /home/ /media/YourBackupDevice/
>
> using sudo so that you can access home directories other than your own.
> I think that should work. To get the networked example to work I use a
> trick with something called ssh keys. As a beginner don't worry about
> that for now, just be aware that there is something you can use to get
> access to the content of other computers.
>
> If you're worried, set up a test directory to play with, and experiment
> with leaving out --delete and keeping it in, but rsync will not alter
> the source directory.
>
> Dave

I have a program called 'cheat' that allows me to get info on some
common commands at the commandline.  The following is a copy of what
cheat has on rsync:
# To copy files from remote to local, maintaining file properties and
sym-links (-a), zipping for faster transfer (-z), verbose (-v).
rsync -avz host:file1 :file1 /dest/
rsync -avz /source host:/dest

# Copy files using checksum (-c) rather than time to detect if the file
has changed. (Useful for validating backups).
rsync -avc /source/ /dest/

# Copy contents of /src/foo to destination:

# This command will create /dest/foo if it does not already exist
rsync -auv /src/foo /dest

# Explicitly copy /src/foo to /dest/foo
rsync -auv /src/foo/ /dest/foo

Tom Bell
--
"Labor is prior to, and independent of capital. Capital is only the
fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first

cbell44.vcf (158 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Backup

Luca Ferrari
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jerry
> That is my plan but first I have to separate my data from my /home partition
> which led to the question I asked. I'm still not sure I have a complete
> answer but as I said Amaury's suggestion (if it works) could provide the
> solution.

I suspect at this stage you have to dig data manually, that is to
write down patterns to include or exclude. Excluding the .* files and
dirs sounds nice, but could still provide you some configuration
spread by some nasty program.
As other pointed out, you only know what "data" means to you. For
instance web.xml is data or configuration? Of course, in order to ease
backups, you need a clear separation between data and configuration,
but until that you have to dig manually.

Luca

Re: Backup

feveal -

If you see Rsync complicated, I use GRsync is the same application but graphical environment. I've never had any problems.

feveal

Re: Backup

Errol Sapir
Hi Dave
 I've started reading about using rsync and it looks the way to go but what does  --delete in the command line mean?
Errol

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>  I've started reading about using rsync and it looks the way to go but what
> does  --delete in the command line mean?

man rsync

-- delete delete extraneous files from dest dirs

In other words, ensure that destination dirs are not polluted with other files.
Not sure it is an option you need.
Luca

Re: Backup

David Fletcher-5
On Fri, 2016-11-04 at 07:55 +0200, Errol Sapir wrote:
> Hi Dave
>  I've started reading about using rsync and it looks the way to go
> but what does  --delete in the command line mean?
> Errol

rsync is indeed definitely the way to go.

The --delete option deletes from the destination directory files which
no longer exist in the source directory. If you want to protect
yourself from accidentally losing files you might want to leave it out.
As somebody else suggested you should have a read of the manual. For
instance if I recall correctly there is a subtle difference in
behaviour depending on whether you have trailing slashes on the end of
the source and destination directories. I always create the destination
directory first and include the trailing slashes.

Something you should probably do is make a tar archive (similar to
using WinZIP) of all the data files from time to time and copy them to
other storage. You will find that learning Linux is a rich experience
which provides the tools to make your life easier. For instance this
command:-
tar cvpPzf /root/home`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`.tar.gz --exclude-
from=/home/BackupThisPCExcludes /home/*

which needs to be used with sudo, creates an archive file automatically
named with the date and time that the command was run. If this is of
interest to you, you should also look at man date. BTW the backticks
enable you to embed the output of e.g. the date command into another
command such as the one I give you above. Play with the date command on
its own, then play with the tar command incorporating the date and see
what happens.

--exclude-from refers to a file which is a list of things in /home/
which I don't need backed up. The BackupThisPCExcludes file contains
entries such as:-
.cache/*
.googleearth/*
.thumbnails/*

which would needlessly make the archive file huge and are not needed
because they will be automatically regenerated. You should probably
take out the --exclude-from at first to make everything simpler.

Some of the tricks I am giving you here such as the backticks were
shown to me by a friend who at the time was a Red Hat Certified
Engineer. Others I found out for myself by reading manuals.

Above all, have fun and enjoy learning Linux. When you're happy with
rsync and tar, get back to us and we'll get you going with scripts so
that you can automate things that you do repeatedly.

BTW do you know about using CTRL-R at the terminal, to reverse search
for commands that you've previously used? That save you a whole load of
typing.

Dave

Re: Backup

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi Errol,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Errol Sapir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a very basic question about backup. I want to backup my /home drive
> which is on a separate partition. However I ONLY want to backup data and not
> any setup files or  attachments. The reason for all this is I want to set up
> my /home partition from scratch without kubuntu using previous definitions.
> So I need a way of backing up only data, ALL my data (and of course
> restoring it).
> Is there a way of doing this?
> TIA
> Errol

I've read the thread so far, with lots of good suggestions. Just a
reminded that the old ~/.kde file has lots of data (sometimes) that
you may not want to miss. For instance, Konversation used to store
logs in there, and Amarok stored its database, playlists, podcast
files, etc. So if you want to keep that stuff, dig into your
~/home/yourname/.kde file.

These days, in Plasma 5 times, the config files go into ~/.config and
~/.local, and Konvi logs go into ~/.logs . Many of us are still
running a few KDE4 applications though, such as Amarok.

Good on you for doing your backups!

Valorie

Re: Backup

Errol Sapir
I want to thank all who gave advice on backing up using the terminal commands. My main use  of terminal has been for the very basic stuff such as "sudo apt-get install" etc. I have been a Linux (mainly Kubuntu) user for many years. I have used GUI programs to backup and for most of my operations. I work in a Microsoft environment so that was the natural way for me.
Because I wanted to separate my data from my home all the advice given here was to use the command line method. I am grateful for the help and advice and am now enjoying the learning and the use of rsync. A new world of dealing with Linux is opening up and it isn't as difficult as I thought although I'm not sure I'll remember all the commands without a manual:-)
Thanks again to all.
Errol

On 11/06/2016 02:02 AM, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
[...]

Doug McGarrett

On 11/05/2016 11:08 PM, Errol Sapir wrote:
I want to thank all who gave advice on backing up using the terminal commands. My main use  of terminal has been for the very basic stuff such as "sudo apt-get install" etc. I have been a Linux (mainly Kubuntu) user for many years. I have used GUI programs to backup and for most of my operations. I work in a Microsoft environment so that was the natural way for me.
Because I wanted to separate my data from my home all the advice given here was to use the command line method. I am grateful for the help and advice and am now enjoying the learning and the use of rsync. A new world of dealing with Linux is opening up and it isn't as difficult as I thought although I'm not sure I'll remember all the commands without a manual:-)
Thanks again to all.
Errol

May I recommend to you, "Linux in a Nutshell" from O'Reilly. I have the 6th edition, which may be the latest, and it's my Bible. Last I heard it was selling at half
price, i.e., around $25. From Amazon, of course. Not all commands, but certainly most, and with explanations and some examples. Well worth the price. And I
have no financial interest in the book or Amazon. Just buy it. You'll thank me!

--doug