Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti
Under memory pressure the machine becomes totally unresponsive (with the
hard disk light constantly lit up due to heavy swapping, I suppose),
until I reset it (once I waited up to an hour to see if it recovered
with no luck).
It happens often enough that it's becoming annoying.

Before the upgrade to 17.10, the same workload (see below) didn't cause
the lock-up: the machine would be unresponsive for a short while (a few
seconds) but then it recovered and was usable again.

Details:
I have 8GB of memory, one virtualbox virtual machine with 3.5GB
assigned, firefox, thunderbird and the plasma desktop (oh, and konsole
with several tabs).
The lockup happens after a few hours when I try to open a document with
openoffice or a pdf with okular (after a restart I can open those same
documents with no problem).

Since the whole system has been upgraded I cannot say if the problem is
the kernel, virtualbox, firefox, thunderbird or any other component.
I cannot find anything in syslog, so I cannot say if the OOM is trying
to do its job or not.

I can reset the machine ( a dell latitude e6530) either with the power
button or with the sysrq magic key combination.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti
El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
> I run a similar setup. I had to reduce my VM to be 2G to help. It was
> the only process I really had control over. Firefox will bloat over time
> as well. Thunderbird appears to be fairly stable. Swapping is bad no
> matter whether it does it well or not. So, were I you I would see how
> small I could make my VM and still have it functional. I would also look
> at enabling the BFQ disk I/O scheduler on the 4.13 kernel (Default
> kernel on 17.10). It is built into the kernel but not turned on by
> default. That may help with the kernel catatonia when swapping.

No, I had it already enabled

$ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop deadline [cfq]

I cannot reduce the VM memory, but if the same setup worked fine before,
the fact that it doesn't work now points to a problem somewhere,
probably in the kernel.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti
El 10/11/17 a les 12:06, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:

> El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
>> I run a similar setup. I had to reduce my VM to be 2G to help. It was
>> the only process I really had control over. Firefox will bloat over
>> time as well. Thunderbird appears to be fairly stable. Swapping is bad
>> no matter whether it does it well or not. So, were I you I would see
>> how small I could make my VM and still have it functional. I would
>> also look at enabling the BFQ disk I/O scheduler on the 4.13 kernel
>> (Default kernel on 17.10). It is built into the kernel but not turned
>> on by default. That may help with the kernel catatonia when swapping.
>
> No, I had it already enabled
>
> $ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
> noop deadline [cfq]

Oops, misread cfq for bfq...

Re: Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti
El 10/11/17 a les 12:28, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:

> El 10/11/17 a les 12:06, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>> El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
>>> I run a similar setup. I had to reduce my VM to be 2G to help. It was
>>> the only process I really had control over. Firefox will bloat over
>>> time as well. Thunderbird appears to be fairly stable. Swapping is
>>> bad no matter whether it does it well or not. So, were I you I would
>>> see how small I could make my VM and still have it functional. I
>>> would also look at enabling the BFQ disk I/O scheduler on the 4.13
>>> kernel (Default kernel on 17.10). It is built into the kernel but not
>>> turned on by default. That may help with the kernel catatonia when
>>> swapping.
>>
>> No, I had it already enabled
>>
>> $ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
>> noop deadline [cfq]
>
> Oops, misread cfq for bfq...

OK, now I have enabled bfq, but ever other time it comes out of
suspension it gets totally stuck:
I either get black screen where I only can move the mouse or the login
screen that doesn't accept my password with no message no nothing. If I
switch to a virtual console, as soon as I enter the username it blocks
and I have to reset the machine.
In a sense it worked hough: it doesn't have enough time to leak memory ;-)

Bye
--
Luca

Re: Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti
El 11/11/17 a les 12:44, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:

> El 10/11/17 a les 12:28, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>> El 10/11/17 a les 12:06, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>>> El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
>>>
>>> No, I had it already enabled
>>>
>>> $ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
>>> noop deadline [cfq]
>>
>> Oops, misread cfq for bfq...
>>

> OK, now I have enabled bfq, but ever other time it comes out of
> suspension it gets totally stuck:
> I either get black screen where I only can move the mouse or the login
> screen that doesn't accept my password with no message no nothing. If I
> switch to a virtual console, as soon as I enter the username it blocks
> and I have to reset the machine.
> In a sense it worked hough: it doesn't have enough time to leak memory ;-)

OK, now I managed to keep it running long enough to reproduce the
initial situation and bfq doesn't help at all to make the machine more
responsive. In the meantime I have enabled the magic sysrq and
discovered how to make it work on my laptop ;-)
This is unbearable, so now I'm back to kernel 4.10.0, let's see if it works.

Bye
--
Luca