Baloo_File????

Timothy Holmes
Hi Folks:

I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources
called baloo_file.  For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,
and it killed without any visible effects on the system.  Can someone
please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want
it on my system.  At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor count

Thanks

TIM

Re: Baloo_File????

Georgi Kourtev

Hi Tim,

Baloo is the indexing file for the newest versions of Kubuntu. It allows you a quick search within the file manager and Kontact. Quite useful though.

The only downside is that it takes some time to index all files in your system. It took me at the beginning something like 2-3 hours, but then all worked smoothly.

I think if you stop the process the system would not be harmed, but you will miss the find functionality.

gk

Skype: gkourtev

On Sunday 03 January 2016 19:09:22 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:

> Hi Folks:

> I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources

> called baloo_file. For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,

> and it killed without any visible effects on the system. Can someone

> please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want

> it on my system. At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor count

> Thanks

> TIM

Re: Baloo_File????

David Lang
What's the correct way to turn this off.

David Lang

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Baloo is the indexing file for the newest versions of Kubuntu.  It allows you a quick
> search within the file manager and Kontact. Quite useful though.
>
> The only downside is that it takes some time to index all files in your system. It
> took me at the beginning something like 2-3 hours, but then all worked smoothly.
>
> I think if you stop the process the system would not be harmed, but you will miss
> the find functionality.
> gk
>
> Skype: gkourtev
>

> On Sunday 03 January 2016 19:09:22 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>> I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources
>> called baloo_file.  For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,
>> and it killed without any visible effects on the system.  Can someone
>> please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want
>> it on my system.  At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor count
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> TIM

Re: Baloo_File????

David-2
> What's the correct way to turn this off.

+1 to this.

<rant>
My understanding is that KDE development team has made this very difficult to do because they feel that this feature is too important for us mere users to decide that we should want to switch off.
</rant>

I turned it off way back when by editing
$HOME/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc

by changing
Indexing-Enabled=true

to (or adding if there is no such option)
Indexing-Enabled=false

This Baloo index and search features along with Akonadi, and Nepomuk have been things that just not have worked very well for me, at least.

ref:

David

On 4 January 2016 at 06:49, David Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David

Email   |  [hidden email]

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
 - J.B.S. Haldane

Re: Baloo_File????

Georgi Kourtev

I think from System Settings, then Desktop Search and untick the Enable search.

gk

On Sunday 03 January 2016 22:49:33 David Lang wrote:

> What's the correct way to turn this off.

> David Lang

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

> > Hi Tim,

> > Baloo is the indexing file for the newest versions of Kubuntu. It allows

> > you a quick search within the file manager and Kontact. Quite useful

> > though.

> > The only downside is that it takes some time to index all files in your

> > system. It took me at the beginning something like 2-3 hours, but then

> > all worked smoothly.

> > I think if you stop the process the system would not be harmed, but you

> > will miss the find functionality.

> > gk

> > Skype: gkourtev

> > On Sunday 03 January 2016 19:09:22 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:

> >> Hi Folks:

> >> I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources

> >> called baloo_file. For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,

> >> and it killed without any visible effects on the system. Can someone

> >> please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want

> >> it on my system. At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor

> >> count

> >> Thanks

> >> TIM

Re: Baloo_File????

O. Sinclair
that is the way indeed. Whether it actually switches of all baloo stuff
I am not so sure of

On 04/01/2016 09:03, Georgi Kourtev wrote:

> I think from System Settings, then Desktop Search and untick the Enable
> search.
>
> gk
>

> On Sunday 03 January 2016 22:49:33 David Lang wrote:
>
>> What's the correct way to turn this off.
>

>> David Lang
>

>> On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
>
>> > Hi Tim,
>

>> > Baloo is the indexing file for the newest versions of Kubuntu. It allows
>
>> > you a quick search within the file manager and Kontact. Quite useful
>
>> > though.
>

>> > The only downside is that it takes some time to index all files in your
>
>> > system. It took me at the beginning something like 2-3 hours, but then
>
>> > all worked smoothly.
>

>> > I think if you stop the process the system would not be harmed, but you
>
>> > will miss the find functionality.
>
>> > gk
>

>> > Skype: gkourtev

Re: Baloo_File????

Nils Kassube-2
O. Sinclair wrote:
> that is the way indeed. Whether it actually switches of all baloo
> stuff I am not so sure of

Yes, it does, but not necessarily immediately. On my 16.04 machine I
have disabled it immediately after the upgrade and I just checked that
there was no baloo* process running. Then I enabled desktop search and
baloo_file was started. After disabling desktop search again, the
process was still running. After logging out, the process was gone
though.

Nils

Re: Baloo_File????

Nils Kassube-2
David wrote:
> <rant>
> My understanding is that KDE development team has made this very
> difficult to do because they feel that this feature is too important
> for us mere users to decide that we should want to switch off.
> </rant>

If you think there is a problem with the usability, you should better
report it at <https://bugs.kde.org> instead of ranting on an arbitrary
user list because it is unlikely that the developers would read it here.

OTOH, a bug report seems to be redundant now, as the desktop search can
easily be disabled via system settings - at least in the KDE version
coming with Kubuntu 16.04.

Nils

Re: Baloo_File????

Lindsay Mathieson
On 4/01/2016 6:46 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> If you think there is a problem with the usability, you should better
> report it at<https://bugs.kde.org>  instead of ranting on an arbitrary
> user list because it is unlikely that the developers would read it here.

Done to death. The developer in question has no interest in listening to
users.

--
Lindsay Mathieson

Re: Baloo_File????

O. Sinclair
On 04/01/2016 13:50, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On 4/01/2016 6:46 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> If you think there is a problem with the usability, you should better
>> report it at<https://bugs.kde.org>  instead of ranting on an arbitrary
>> user list because it is unlikely that the developers would read it here.
>
> Done to death. The developer in question has no interest in listening to
> users.

I beg to differ on that. I have had some conversations with him and my
experiences is that he not only "listen" but acts

Re: Baloo_File????

Volker Wysk
Am Sunday 03 January 2016, 19:09:22 schrieb Timothy A. Holmes:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources
> called baloo_file.  For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,
> and it killed without any visible effects on the system.  Can someone
> please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want
> it on my system.  At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor count

AFAIK, baloo only uses otherwise unused resources. When you start a different
program, baloo releases the CPU. It's not like its predecessor Nepomuk, which
indeed ate all of the available resources.

Bye
Volker

Re: Baloo_File????

m.celiesius
Hello. You can read about baloo here https://community.kde.org/Baloo
Also, you can permanently disable the baloo file indexer. Procedure is
described bellow
https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration