Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

Bugzilla from masinick@yahoo.com
I installed xubuntu on top of an existing Kubuntu system and it
installed flawlessly.  At that level, all is well.  At the user
interface level, there seemed to be some corruption of the panel
displays - not sure what caused it - I have not seen this before, even
though I've been running XFCE 4.* for quite some time on various Debian
based disk partitions.  I can do a bit more research and give you
specifics.  What information would be most helpful?

Base system is a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop system with a Dell P991
monitor and NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 Model 64 graphics card, a pretty generic
32 MB card that works well with virtually all Linux distros, including
Ubuntu.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:[hidden email]


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

jani.monoses@gmail.com
Hello

On 12/3/05, Brian Masinick <[hidden email]> wrote:
I installed xubuntu on top of an existing Kubuntu system and it
installed flawlessly.  At that level, all is well.  At the user
interface level, there seemed to be some corruption of the panel
displays - not sure what caused it - I have not seen this before, even
though I've been running XFCE 4.* for quite some time on various Debian
based disk partitions.  I can do a bit more research and give you
specifics.  What information would be most helpful?
Whay kind of corruption is it exactly? Graphics artifacts? Panel contents problem?

Jani

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

grumpy mole
Jani,

A current screenshot of my laptop is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00

You can see the colours are a bit messed up and the icons are not properly spaced.

Not sure if you have the same Brian?

Regards

Warren

Jani Monoses wrote:
Hello

On 12/3/05, Brian Masinick <[hidden email]> wrote:
I installed xubuntu on top of an existing Kubuntu system and it
installed flawlessly.  At that level, all is well.  At the user
interface level, there seemed to be some corruption of the panel
displays - not sure what caused it - I have not seen this before, even
though I've been running XFCE 4.* for quite some time on various Debian
based disk partitions.  I can do a bit more research and give you
specifics.  What information would be most helpful?
Whay kind of corruption is it exactly? Graphics artifacts? Panel contents problem?

Jani

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

jani.monoses@gmail.com
Jani,

A current screenshot of my laptop is here: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00

This looks familiar. I got such artifacts when using the vesa X driver instead of ati.

Jani

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

jani.monoses@gmail.com

On 12/3/05, Jani Monoses <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jani,

A current screenshot of my laptop is here: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00

This looks familiar. I got such artifacts when using the vesa X driver instead of ati.

 
on dapper with xorg 7.0 RC2 which may be the cause of the bug.I don't know if vesa behaved the same on
stable x.org in breezy.



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Basic functionality looks good, but work is needed

grumpy mole
>From my observations, and also Brian's, it appears that the corruption only happens in the panels and othere Xfce parts.

My gdm login screen is perfect and so is my gaim window.  The contents of any xfce windows are fine, but the toolbars are not.  For example, XChat, the message pane is perfect, but the tabs at th bottom are corrupt.

It was working fine for a while under dapper.

I also tried changing my driver between vesa and neomagic, but the corruption is the same.

Regards

Warren

Jani Monoses wrote:

On 12/3/05, Jani Monoses <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jani,

A current screenshot of my laptop is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72512650@N00

This looks familiar. I got such artifacts when using the vesa X driver instead of ati.

 
on dapper with xorg 7.0 RC2 which may be the cause of the bug.I don't know if vesa behaved the same on
stable x.org in breezy.



--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel