Quantcast

Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Donald Parsons-2
Please tell me which is best and give me installation instructions

Thanks
Donald Parsons MB.BS, DSc

Re: Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Colin Law
On 27 February 2017 at 20:34, Donald Parsons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please tell me which is best and give me installation instructions

Ubuntu 15.10 is long past its End Of Life date and is no longer
receiving even security updates. You should upgrade to a later
version.

Colin

On 27 February 2017 at 21:34, Donald Parsons <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please tell me which is best and give me installation instructions

What Colin said.

If you do not wish to upgrade often, get your system onto the latest
Long Term Support release and then stay there. This is currently 16.04
which is the version after the one you are running. It is a
single-step update. After that you do not need to do it again for a
minimum of 2 years.

Also, you don't really need a client. The website does just fine.

There are even, if you wish, better websites, such as tweetdesk.com.

Ubuntu used to include a client called Gwibber:

http://gwibber.com/

I tried it but I didn't like it much.

There is also a Twitter add-on for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/twitter-app/?src=api

I have not tried this. I used to use one called Yoono but I found it a
bit intrusive and removed it.

There are also Twitter plugins for the Pidgin messaging program, if
you use that. I used to use Twitter via the related Adium program on
Mac OS X, but I have not found a Pidgin addon that delivered the same
functionality.

But first you need to get onto 16.04.

Re: Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Teresa e Junior
Em 28/02/2017 18:27, Liam Proven escreveu:
> On 27 February 2017 at 21:34, Donald Parsons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please tell me which is best and give me installation instructions
>
> (...)

Complementing the options mentioned by Liam in his last email, the blog
omgubuntu.co.uk is always advertising Twitter clients for Ubuntu, and
they always give installation instructions too (but as mentioned
previously, you may have trouble installing newer apps on older Ubuntu
releases). Here are some of them:

Corebird:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/linux-twitter-corebird-1-4-released
Choqok: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/choqok-qt-twitter-app-new-beta
Nocturn:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/nocturn-desktop-twitter-app-mac-linux
Anatine:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/anatine-desktop-twitter-app-electron

Re: Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Gerd Ewald
Hi Teresa,

On Di, dem 28.02.17 at 19:15 -0300 -0300 you wrote:

>Corebird:
>http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/linux-twitter-corebird-1-4-released
>Choqok: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/choqok-qt-twitter-app-new-beta
>Nocturn:
>http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/nocturn-desktop-twitter-app-mac-linux
>Anatine:
>http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/anatine-desktop-twitter-app-electron

Don't forget Franz
http://meetfranz.com/

--
best wishes
Gerd

Re: Best Twitter client for Ubuntu 15.10

Liam Proven
On 1 March 2017 at 18:17, Gerd Ewald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget Franz
> http://meetfranz.com/

That's true, I'm using it myself and really like it. But not for
Twitter. Its Twitter support is just Tweetdeck in a tab.