Block size for large filesystems

Kevin O'Gorman
I've been using gparted for creating and managing filesystems for so long I didn't really think about it too much.  But now that I'm fooling around with RAID, I've bumped into soemthing I maybe should have been paying attention to all along.

It's the block size.  Gparted does not seem to have an option to set the block size when it formats a new partition.  It just used 512B blocks.  I'm seeing recommendations for 4 KB blocks on large filesystems, and most of mine are 32GB, and I have two that are 7TB and 11TB RAID arrays respectively.

Does anybody know how much of a difference this makes?  I'd be interested in what anyone has found.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */