Blue shell Firefox?

Thomas Tanghus
My installation has just been upgraded to Firefox 29 and I really don't like
the new Chrome like UI. Besides that I'd like to stay with the Blueshell
releases to have KDE dialogs as te Gnome equivalents are so counter intuitive.

How do I roll back and pin my Firefox to Blueshells 28 release?

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Tanghus

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

O. Sinclair
On 14/05/2014 00:58, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> My installation has just been upgraded to Firefox 29 and I really don't like
> the new Chrome like UI. Besides that I'd like to stay with the Blueshell
> releases to have KDE dialogs as te Gnome equivalents are so counter intuitive.
>
> How do I roll back and pin my Firefox to Blueshells 28 release?

You have added the blueshell ppa? I use it and it works just fine.

to roll back (depending on when you added blueshell ppa it might not be
available except for the "trusty" version):
open Muon, find Firefox. Click on tab Versions, choose the 28 version of
choice and click on button "force version".

Look around after that for a way to "park" at version 28 in Muon, at
this moment I can not remember how that is done.

Regards,
Sinclair

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

O. Sinclair
On 14/05/2014 00:58, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> My installation has just been upgraded to Firefox 29 and I really don't like
> the new Chrome like UI. Besides that I'd like to stay with the Blueshell
> releases to have KDE dialogs as te Gnome equivalents are so counter intuitive.
>
> How do I roll back and pin my Firefox to Blueshells 28 release?

An alternative way is to install oxygen-kde:
http://oxygenkde.altervista.org/

though you have to disable add-on compatibility checking. In my
experience it works just fine with v.29 though

/Sinclair

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Thomas Tanghus
On Wednesday 14 May 2014 05:59:33 O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 14/05/2014 00:58, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > My installation has just been upgraded to Firefox 29 and I really don't
> > like the new Chrome like UI. Besides that I'd like to stay with the
> > Blueshell releases to have KDE dialogs as te Gnome equivalents are so
> > counter intuitive.
> >
> > How do I roll back and pin my Firefox to Blueshells 28 release?
>
> You have added the blueshell ppa? I use it and it works just fine.

Yes got it enabled and though it's sometimes a bit behind it works fine.

> to roll back (depending on when you added blueshell ppa it might not be
> available except for the "trusty" version):
> open Muon, find Firefox. Click on tab Versions, choose the 28 version of
> choice and click on button "force version".
>
> Look around after that for a way to "park" at version 28 in Muon, at
> this moment I can not remember how that is done.

I successfully downgraded but Blueshells version apparently wasn't available.
Tried the saucy version instead but language packs wasn't available.

Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
needs ;)

On 14/05/2014 17:18, Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 May 2014 05:59:33 O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 14/05/2014 00:58, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>>> My installation has just been upgraded to Firefox 29 and I really don't
>>> like the new Chrome like UI. Besides that I'd like to stay with the
>>> Blueshell releases to have KDE dialogs as te Gnome equivalents are so
>>> counter intuitive.
>>>
>>> How do I roll back and pin my Firefox to Blueshells 28 release?
>>
>> You have added the blueshell ppa? I use it and it works just fine.
>
> Yes got it enabled and though it's sometimes a bit behind it works fine.
>
>> to roll back (depending on when you added blueshell ppa it might not be
>> available except for the "trusty" version):
>> open Muon, find Firefox. Click on tab Versions, choose the 28 version of
>> choice and click on button "force version".
>>
>> Look around after that for a way to "park" at version 28 in Muon, at
>> this moment I can not remember how that is done.
>
> I successfully downgraded but Blueshells version apparently wasn't available.
> Tried the saucy version instead but language packs wasn't available.
>
> Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
> needs ;)

On my system I have the Blueshell v28, I think because I had it
installed before release of v29 so I guess it is in "apt-cache" or
something.

I think if you manage to browse the actual online repository you may
find the necessary v28 deb-file but I have no idea how.

Otherwise try the oxygenkde add-on, you can use the CheckCompatibility
add-on first to be able to enable oxygenkde. It is very configurable and
you can get your "good old" FF back quite easily.

/Sinclair

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Thomas Tanghus
On Wednesday 14 May 2014 17:49:54 O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 14/05/2014 17:18, Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> >> You have added the blueshell ppa? I use it and it works just fine.
> >
> > Yes got it enabled and though it's sometimes a bit behind it works fine.
> >
> >> to roll back (depending on when you added blueshell ppa it might not be
> >> available except for the "trusty" version):
> >> open Muon, find Firefox. Click on tab Versions, choose the 28 version of
> >> choice and click on button "force version".
> >>
> >> Look around after that for a way to "park" at version 28 in Muon, at
> >> this moment I can not remember how that is done.
> >
> > I successfully downgraded but Blueshells version apparently wasn't
> > available. Tried the saucy version instead but language packs wasn't
> > available.
> >
> > Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
> > needs ;)
>
> On my system I have the Blueshell v28, I think because I had it
> installed before release of v29 so I guess it is in "apt-cache" or
> something.
>
> I think if you manage to browse the actual online repository you may
> find the necessary v28 deb-file but I have no idea how.

Yeah I might resort to that. Or the ESR release or what it's called.

> Otherwise try the oxygenkde add-on, you can use the CheckCompatibility
> add-on first to be able to enable oxygenkde. It is very configurable and
> you can get your "good old" FF back quite easily.

I'll have a look at that. Used it earlier but was pleased with Blueshells
releases for a long while.

Thanks for you suggestions :)

On 14/05/2014 17:56, Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 May 2014 17:49:54 O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Yes got it enabled and though it's sometimes a bit behind it works fine.

>>> I successfully downgraded but Blueshells version apparently wasn't
>>> available. Tried the saucy version instead but language packs wasn't
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
>>> needs ;)
>>
>> On my system I have the Blueshell v28, I think because I had it
>> installed before release of v29 so I guess it is in "apt-cache" or
>> something.
>>
>> I think if you manage to browse the actual online repository you may
>> find the necessary v28 deb-file but I have no idea how.
>
> Yeah I might resort to that. Or the ESR release or what it's called.
>
>> Otherwise try the oxygenkde add-on, you can use the CheckCompatibility
>> add-on first to be able to enable oxygenkde. It is very configurable and
>> you can get your "good old" FF back quite easily.
>
> I'll have a look at that. Used it earlier but was pleased with Blueshells
> releases for a long while.
>

> Thanks for you suggestions :)
Well, I actually like the new FF interface so I have for the first time
in a long time "abandoned" oxygenkde - but I have been a happy user of
it for many many versions of FF

/Sinclair

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Stephen Morris
On 05/15/2014 01:56 AM, Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 May 2014 17:49:54 O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Yes got it enabled and though it's sometimes a bit behind it works fine.

>>> I successfully downgraded but Blueshells version apparently wasn't
>>> available. Tried the saucy version instead but language packs wasn't
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
>>> needs ;)
>> On my system I have the Blueshell v28, I think because I had it
>> installed before release of v29 so I guess it is in "apt-cache" or
>> something.
>>
>> I think if you manage to browse the actual online repository you may
>> find the necessary v28 deb-file but I have no idea how.
> Yeah I might resort to that. Or the ESR release or what it's called.
>
>> Otherwise try the oxygenkde add-on, you can use the CheckCompatibility
>> add-on first to be able to enable oxygenkde. It is very configurable and
>> you can get your "good old" FF back quite easily.
> I'll have a look at that. Used it earlier but was pleased with Blueshells
> releases for a long while.
>

> Thanks for you suggestions :)
I'm using upstream version 32.0 of firefox and I agree with Thomas. I
don't like the chrome aspect, nor do I like them copying Microsoft and
removing the menus unless the alt key is pressed. I've also been unable
to find any way of reversing that menu functionality in the preferences
configuration, does the oxygen-kde addon restore the non-hidden menu
functionality?

regards,
Steve

>> /Sinclair

samorris.vcf (138 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Lindsay Mathieson
On Wed, 14 May 2014 05:18:53 PM Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
> needs

Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks and
behaviours

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade - it does seem
faster and less of a resource hog to me.
--
Lindsay

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Stephen Morris wrote:

> I'm using upstream version 32.0 of firefox and I agree with Thomas.
> I don't like the chrome aspect, nor do I like them copying
> Microsoft and removing the menus unless the alt key is pressed.
> I've also been unable to find any way of reversing that menu
> functionality in the preferences configuration, does the oxygen-kde
> addon restore the non-hidden menu functionality?

Right-click the little lined menu icon and left-click Menu Bar in the
little context menu that opens. Thank goodness that was there. I
would have gotten rid of Firefox if it wasn't. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Thomas Tanghus
On Wednesday 14 May 2014 19:00:46 Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Stephen Morris wrote:
> > I'm using upstream version 32.0 of firefox and I agree with Thomas.
> > I don't like the chrome aspect, nor do I like them copying
> > Microsoft and removing the menus unless the alt key is pressed.
> > I've also been unable to find any way of reversing that menu
> > functionality in the preferences configuration, does the oxygen-kde
> > addon restore the non-hidden menu functionality?
>
> Right-click the little lined menu icon and left-click Menu Bar in the
> little context menu that opens. Thank goodness that was there. I
> would have gotten rid of Firefox if it wasn't. (:

You're a life-saver Little Girl!

I wonder WTF @firefox on twitter didn't mention that the past couple of days
where I've been trying to communicate with them?

On Thursday 15 May 2014 07:52:39 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2014 05:18:53 PM Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > Maybe I should stop being conservative and just try to customize it to my
> > needs
>
> Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks and
> behaviours
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
>

> Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade - it does
> seem faster and less of a resource hog to me.

Thanks. First couldn't install it although that was was @firefox recommended.
Forgot I had UA switcher on :P

On Thu, 15 May 2014 10:13:33 AM Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> > Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks and
> > behaviours
> >

> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
> >

> > Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade - it does
> > seem faster and less of a resource hog to me.
>
> Thanks. First couldn't install it although that was was @firefox
> recommended.  Forgot I had UA switcher on

Excellent, I think you'll like, but there are a *lot* of options to tweak :)

I was able to get my firefox back to exactly the way I liked it, including
having all the buttons, menus and url bars on the same row.
--
Lindsay

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Thomas Tanghus wrote:

> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> > Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks
> > and behaviours

> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

> > Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade -
> > it does seem faster and less of a resource hog to me.

> Thanks. First couldn't install it although that was was @firefox
> recommended. Forgot I had UA switcher on :P

I tried that add-on yesterday and didn't like the huge Bookmarks
button it put in my Bookmarks bar. I fiddled with it for a while, but
couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I finally removed the
add-on, but will keep my eye on it in case Firefox becomes yet more
horrible and the add-on becomes better. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:
> > Stephen Morris wrote:

> > Right-click the little lined menu icon and left-click Menu Bar in
> > the little context menu that opens. Thank goodness that was
> > there. I would have gotten rid of Firefox if it wasn't. (:

> You're a life-saver Little Girl!

Heh, I'm glad it worked! By the way, you can do the same thing with
the aweul Dolphin file manager interface to get your menus back where
they belong. (:

> I wonder WTF @firefox on twitter didn't mention that the past
> couple of days where I've been trying to communicate with them?

No idea, but it probably has something to do with how awesome they
think their new interface is and how they can't imagine anyone not
wanting it.

I don't understand why some developers don't introduce these drastic
changes to software as new options you can choose to enable rather
than making them the default and leaving you to try and figure out
whether they can be undone or whether your former options are still
available at all any more.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Clay Weber-2
On Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:04:53 AM Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > Little Girl wrote:
> > > Stephen Morris wrote:
> > >
> > > Right-click the little lined menu icon and left-click Menu Bar in
> > > the little context menu that opens. Thank goodness that was
> >
> > > there. I would have gotten rid of Firefox if it wasn't. (:
> > You're a life-saver Little Girl!
>
> Heh, I'm glad it worked! By the way, you can do the same thing with
> the aweul Dolphin file manager interface to get your menus back where
>
> they belong. (:
> > I wonder WTF @firefox on twitter didn't mention that the past
> > couple of days where I've been trying to communicate with them?
>
> No idea, but it probably has something to do with how awesome they
> think their new interface is and how they can't imagine anyone not
> wanting it.
>
> I don't understand why some developers don't introduce these drastic
> changes to software as new options you can choose to enable rather
> than making them the default and leaving you to try and figure out
> whether they can be undone or whether your former options are still
> available at all any more.

I would guess that a) a *lot* of people might actually <<gasp>> *like* the
interface change, and b) those who don't like change maybe tend to *not* be
the ones testing out the changes beforehand.

I think I might be switching back to Firefox with this version, tbh.

--
Clay Weber (claydoh)
http://kubuntuforums.net

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

O. Sinclair
On 15/05/2014 18:25, Clay Weber wrote:

> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:04:53 AM Little Girl wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> Thomas Tanghus wrote:

>>> You're a life-saver Little Girl!
>>
>> Heh, I'm glad it worked! By the way, you can do the same thing with
>> the aweul Dolphin file manager interface to get your menus back where
>>
>> they belong. (:
>>> I wonder WTF @firefox on twitter didn't mention that the past
>>> couple of days where I've been trying to communicate with them?
>>
>> No idea, but it probably has something to do with how awesome they
>> think their new interface is and how they can't imagine anyone not
>> wanting it.
>>
>> I don't understand why some developers don't introduce these drastic
>> changes to software as new options you can choose to enable rather
>> than making them the default and leaving you to try and figure out
>> whether they can be undone or whether your former options are still
>> available at all any more.
>
> I would guess that a) a *lot* of people might actually <<gasp>> *like* the
> interface change, and b) those who don't like change maybe tend to *not* be
> the ones testing out the changes beforehand.
>
> I think I might be switching back to Firefox with this version, tbh.

My guess (and that is also what I understand from reading online) is
that Mozilla want the same UI on android/phones/tablets and computers,
hence the more "press here if your screen has that functionality" gui.

Personally I kind of like it, I face no challenges in it apart from that
I would prefer the back/forward buttons to be "leftmost" on that area

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Billie Walsh
Thank you to everyone that has participated in this thread. From some of
the ideas posted I now have my Firefox 29 working like "MY" Firefox.
*<]:o) I hope everyone can get theirs to work like they want it to.

--

I may be crazy, but crazy is better than stupid.

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Doug McGarrett

On 05/15/2014 10:31 AM, Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>
>> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>
>>> Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks
>>> and behaviours
>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
>
>>> Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade -
>>> it does seem faster and less of a resource hog to me.
>
>> Thanks. First couldn't install it although that was was @firefox
>> recommended. Forgot I had UA switcher on :P
> I tried that add-on yesterday and didn't like the huge Bookmarks
> button it put in my Bookmarks bar. I fiddled with it for a while, but
> couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I finally removed the
> add-on, but will keep my eye on it in case Firefox becomes yet more
> horrible and the add-on becomes better. (:

Have you folks looked at Pale Moon? Runs on Windows and Linux, and, I
think, Mac.
Looks like and works like classic Firefox. I have it on Windows 8.1 and
PCLinuxOS-32 KDE,
and I'm going to install it on PCLOS-64, on which it is supposed to work
also.
Even most of the FF plug-ins work.

--doug

Re: Blue shell Firefox?

Mark Fraser-2
On Thursday 15 May 2014 10:31:43 Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> > Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > > Classic Theme Restorer goes a long way to restoring the old looks
> > > and behaviours
> > >
> > > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
> > >
> > > Which is good, because in other respects 29 is a worthy upgrade -
> > > it does seem faster and less of a resource hog to me.
> >
> > Thanks. First couldn't install it although that was was @firefox
> > recommended. Forgot I had UA switcher on :P
>
> I tried that add-on yesterday and didn't like the huge Bookmarks
> button it put in my Bookmarks bar. I fiddled with it for a while, but
> couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I finally removed the
> add-on, but will keep my eye on it in case Firefox becomes yet more
> horrible and the add-on becomes better. (:

You can remove that huge bookmarks button by right clicking on it and
selecting "remove from toolbar".

Wish I could figure out why I can't open the new preferences on some computers
- it just opens an empty tab that can't be closed.