Boot stops at "Checking battery state"

Larry Gagnon
First of all congrats to the xubuntu team for a very nice product. I
volunteer with a small charity that refurbishes older computer to donate
to the disadvantaged. We may be installing Linux in the future and
xubuntu is very appealing for this.

I have installed xubuntu on two different machines, with considerably
different hardwre. On both the boot splash stops at "Checking Battery
State". The only way I can boot is to boot failsafe to root and startx
as root. I have tried modifying grub by adding noapic and nolapic but
that did not help. Any ideas appreciated.

Larry

Re: Boot stops at "Checking battery state"

jani.monoses@gmail.com
I have installed xubuntu on two different machines, with considerably
different hardwre. On both the boot splash stops at "Checking Battery
State". The only way I can boot is to boot failsafe to root and startx
as root. I have tried modifying grub by adding noapic and nolapic but
that did not help. Any ideas appreciated.

Maybe you can just remove /etc/init.d/acpi-support from the list of services started.
Or see why /etc/acpi/power.sh which is called by the former is hanging.Could
it be the calling of laptop-mode or hdparm from this script?

HTH
Jani